diy solar

diy solar

Victron multiplus II 2x120v mounting

CB-OTB

I’m looking at using one of these to power the AC in my boat, but I don’t have a lot of space to mount this and the necessary batteries.

ive looked over the installation manual and I don’t see anything about mounting orientation, so I’m curious if they can be mounted horizontally instead of vertically. Along the same lines, can they be mounted in a compartment under a seat or couch?

I can’t say about the Multiplus II, but I have seen the original Multiplus mounted flat under a sofa.

The biggest issue (according to my understanding) is the heat generated and moving the heat from the unit.

If you were not using it at its max, and you installed additional ventilation- you would probably be ok.

I would have additional ventilation holes plus fans/blowers to help move hot air away.

Before installing it, I would make a post on Victron’s Community’s pages (under support), to make sure there are not other issues.

Good Luck

I’m looking at using one of these to power the AC in my boat, but I don’t have a lot of space to mount this and the necessary batteries.

ive looked over the installation manual and I don’t see anything about mounting orientation, so I’m curious if they can be mounted horizontally instead of vertically. Along the same lines, can they be mounted in a compartment under a seat or couch?
In the installation guide, Victron states that vertical mounting is preferred, but other orientations are acceptable as long as there is sufficient airflow. My Multiplus II is mounted on its back in a void under the quarterberth (which itself is under the starboard side of the cockpit). That space is open to the void in the transom fiberglass, and is well ventilated. It's worked fine for me.

In the installation guide, Victron states that vertical mounting is preferred, but other orientations are acceptable as long as there is sufficient airflow. My Multiplus II is mounted on its back in a void under the quarterberth (which itself is under the starboard side of the cockpit). That space is open to the void in the transom fiberglass, and is well ventilated. It's worked fine for me.
Where do you see the mounting information? The manual that I’m looking at only Mentions mounting to a wall, and doesn’t discuss floor mounting. It also says to put the battery in a separate compartment? Can I not put both of these in the same location? I was trying to fit them both under the aft cabin bed.

Where do you see the mounting information? The manual that I’m looking at only Mentions mounting to a wall, and doesn’t discuss floor mounting. It also says to put the battery in a separate compartment? Can I not put both of these in the same location? I was trying to fit them both under the aft cabin bed.
It was in the little installation guide that came with the unit, not the main manual. The battery thing would largely be if you were using it with lead acid batteries which have the propensity to vent. With LFP, it wouldn’t be an issue.

Back