diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus II keeps shutting off when SOK 48V Batteries at 50v and 85% soc.

Just to clarify my setup:

My inverter is connected to two batteries. I have one of those garden switches that lets me press a button to program days it'll let power through or turn it off along with a manual on and off button. My idea was to have enough power needs at full charge for 2 weeks when outages regularly occur during winters and summers in my area. Otherwise my power draw is low enough where running a few laptops to last about two weeks before needing a full recharge. Each time I fully recharge the battery to 57.60v with a float value of 55.20v. I am in an apartment so am not able to connect to solar yet.

@HighTechLab I keep shore power off at the moment so I just use the battery until it gets to about 50% (which I've now realized isn't the case) and then I'd turn on shore power to recharge to full. Anyway I can change the sleep mode setting? Otherwise I'll make sure to just recharge to full each week so the SOC and BMS are functioning. I have shore power coming from an outlet that lets me set what days each week shore is on.

I estimated it'd take me 2 weeks to get down to 50% for my normal usage when we aren't in an outage. Prior to having my Smart Shunt I would turn the inverter off through the Victron app when my work day was done and then back on when I began work as a way to save a bit of power from the inverter drawing. Could that have effected my SOC?

@740GLE Correct, Victron registers it a low battery, which I now have learned is 50v. So like HighTechLab pointed out, something is drifting with the SOC.

Yeah it all makes sense now. Notice the current is .25A - this is less than the minimum the battery can measure (.5A). On the screen of the battery it will read 0A in this state.

Typically it’s not a problem because the batteries are either floating full and calibrated or discharging at a faster rate. Realize this is 0.00125c rate based on the screenshots. So, rely on your shunt for SOC readings and you will not be in hot water anymore.

How fast are you charging the batteries?

I’d dial that down and then let them sit at 55.2v for a long time.

Yeah it all makes sense now. Notice the current is .25A - this is less than the minimum the battery can measure (.5A). On the screen of the battery it will read 0A in this state.

Typically it’s not a problem because the batteries are either floating full and calibrated or discharging at a faster rate. Realize this is 0.00125c rate based on the screenshots. So, rely on your shunt for SOC readings and you will not be in hot water anymore.
Makes sense, these readings were done at the end of the day when I stop working, during the day I think I draw about 75~W from what the shunt tells me and this goes on over 8 or so hours. I'll get a screenshot of what it looks like closer to peak times if that helps.

I have about 9 days left before I travel so trying to get it down to 50% SOC before I am away for 3 weeks. I know leaving it at full capacity without using it is not a good idea for cell health. What I'm a bit concerned about is that I'm not using enough of the cell each week before fully charging to keep SOC readings consistent if that makes sense. At 4 - 5% a day that's 20 - 25% a work week, so should I still recharge to full every week?

@740GLE I charge at 10A from shore and leave it at float for about 4 - 6 hours. How long of a time were you thinking?

What voltage are you leaving it at 4-6hrs? Is it balancing for those 4-6hrs?

How are the cells looking for delta?

Hey everyone got a bit busy this week so late response. Like @HighTechLab thought, the batteries going into sleep due to low power usage was what was screwing with my smart shunt tuning off. After about 5 business days of power needs the Smart Shunt said I was down to 75%, but unfortunately forgot to keep it under load so the batteries went to sleep. I may get an aux power source to keep it powered so it doesn't cause my settings to reset.

@740GLE, I leave it at 55.2v and it pretty much stays there without an issue. The cells looked fine

Back