diy solar

diy solar

Victron vs EG4 monitoring ecosystem ….. how painful is the change?

Eerskie

I adore the Victron monitoring ecosystem. Data is easily and clearly available, can be viewed via an app, via a webpage, via a console … there is even a widget for tablets. Dead simple, super robust. Great and easy access to historical data.

My home system is currently based around a GroWatt all-in-one. I found the GroWatt monitoring ecosystem very cumbersome and non-intuitive. Webpage only, info via a very cumbersome WiFi-dongle, etc etc. So annoying so that I actually installed a separate Victron SCC and Smartshunt so that I can use the Victron ecosystem instead.

I am very tempted by the latest EG4 18k hybrid unit. The built-in 600V SCC is a major upgrade from my current Victron unit, so it would no longer make sense to maintain the Victron components and thereby the Victron monitoring system. I am not familiar with the EG4 monitoring ecosystem … what I can find on the internet looks an awful lot like an extended version of my previous GroWatt experience…… which is a major negative for me.

Can I please request some advice from people using the EG4 monitoring system today? Is it useful/accessible?

Thank you!

@SignatureSolarJames is that the app or web interface to OP's point?

@Eerskie for what it is worth, I think the best monitoring solution is always going to be something independent and customizable. To that endI would look into SolarAssistant or a more raw approach if you want full data and control.

I adore the Victron monitoring ecosystem. Data is easily and clearly available, can be viewed via an app, via a webpage, via a console … there is even a widget for tablets. Dead simple, super robust. Great and easy access to historical data.

My home system is currently based around a GroWatt all-in-one. I found the GroWatt monitoring ecosystem very cumbersome and non-intuitive. Webpage only, info via a very cumbersome WiFi-dongle, etc etc. So annoying so that I actually installed a separate Victron SCC and Smartshunt so that I can use the Victron ecosystem instead.

I am very tempted by the latest EG4 18k hybrid unit. The built-in 600V SCC is a major upgrade from my current Victron unit, so it would no longer make sense to maintain the Victron components and thereby the Victron monitoring system. I am not familiar with the EG4 monitoring ecosystem … what I can find on the internet looks an awful lot like an extended version of my previous GroWatt experience…… which is a major negative for me.

Can I please request some advice from people using the EG4 monitoring system today? Is it useful/accessible?

Thank you!
I know what you mean. I loved using the VRM when I had my 12v system. When I switched to my 48v system I really didn't want to leave the VRM behind but I just wasn't able to afford the Victron pricing for my needs.

I have 2 EG4 6500s and needed to find a replacement for the VRM and when I found Solar Assistant, I knew I wouldn't be able to get any closer to the VRM. I'm not saying this to push you to Solar Assistant, I just wanted to let you know you're not the only one who struggled to find an alternative monitoring solution once you had to leave the VRM.

Like you, I'm interested in the 18k. As far as the 18k monitoring system, I think most people have only seen pictures so we have to go by what we're told about it. Pictures are great, but there's nothing like being "hands on". It seems like a lot has been put into the dashboards/controls. It doesn't look as flashy as the VRM, but it does seem like EG4 is open to suggestions regarding additional data to be displayed. I believe the data refresh time is 5 min, but you should be able to manually refresh the data at any point.

I'm still hoping for some kind of online demo to let people get in and play around with the monitoring solution.

@SignatureSolarJames - thank you for the screenshots - can you help me with a shot of the “Main” page? Also, as @Shimmy says, is the access through webpage only?

@Shimmy - thank you for the comments - the joy of the Victron ecosystem is that it seems to answer/anticipate every general monitoring need I have WITHOUT any need for customization or any effort at all on my part. I will look into SolarAssistant though - I am not familiar.

@Adam De Lay - just saw your comment - this is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for - like you, I wish there was a demo example…. Will definitely take a look at SolarAssistant.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_1457.png
    IMG_1457.png
    796.9 KB · Views: 18
@SignatureSolarJames - thank you for the screenshots - can you help me with a shot of the “Main” page? Also, as @Shimmy says, is the access through webpage only?
There is a mobile app which should show the same data as the website.

Back