diy solar

diy solar

Victron - Where safety is optional

Looking at my 250/100, I can't imagine a way that general passers-by could inadvertently contact 250V unless they're coming at it with the determination of a toddler stalking an outlet with a pair of scissors.

It isn't simply a pop-off cover. It comes with a metal backplate that screws into the back of the controller that adds some pretty heavy duty screw compression fittings that the cables route through for extra level of protection to keep the cables from pulling out. The top cover also screws into the sides of controller preventing it from popping off.
Seriously, there is no discount. Only pain.

1648088806313-png.88452
By the time you add low volume production (you need to amortize the mould across every unit you're selling), documentation, accounting, inventory control, etc... $32 isn't out of the world for something that's pretty low value.

It all boils down to how you're using these units too. In my case, I'm just using a 75/15 MPPT, but the highest voltage it will ever see is the 32Voc off of my 24v solar panels. Similar to the 150-85 or 250-85, are you actually ever going to have 250V connected to them? It all comes down to design.

That optional cover probably had to be certified by some agencies for some markets.
The only way to recoup the investment is to amortize the expense across each unit.

Back