diy solar

diy solar

Video explaining my problem with my install

That is a 48 volt unit on a 24 volt battery, that will not work.
The battery is reading, and he also measures, 54v. I assume the cabinet is not holding a 24v BYD module, but something else.

Randerson, can you rig up a decent load at the battery output (right at the battery, nothing else connected), and read the volts then? To rule out the bms.

If he had a 24v battery how is reading 57 volts
The meter on those battery packs are 100% adjustable.

I know i just adjusted mine.

there is no 48 volt battery in that cabinet, that I know of.
you cant have 48 volts 200 ah in that physical size.

The easy way to know what size cable you need is to pull up one of theio wire/amp charts on the internet ... and input your voltage and amps and distance and it will tell you that size you need ...

Glad that you started out with a DVM this time ... LOL

For a quick fix I would cut the cable extremely near the smaller Anderson you have ... and then connect the thicker wire to that .. and use that until you can do it right ...

and on behalf of all of us -- Thank you for not clicking it for 5 1/2 minutes to make your point ... LOL .. I crack myself up ...

I'm not an expert, but I don't think the problem is the wiring leading from the battery to the MPP, but I guess we'll see when the new wire is used.

> I got the unit off of ebay. [OP]

Internet/ebay is rife with phony 'MPP-Solar' units. You need to indicate who you bought it from.
VR
--

He bought the unit from Ian on Ebay through one of Will Prowses' affiliate links. Ian has a very good reputation and if I were to buy one from him I would be totally comfortable handing him cash!

I got the unit off of ebay. I sent the seller a link of the video just now. I hope they respond quick. The seller is from "DIY Solar with Will Prowse" recommended affiliate list. I will put a volt meter on the MPP pos and neg buss bars tomorrow after work to see the volts coming in View attachment 16056

Last edited:
And yet both meters disagree with you .. :unsure::unsure:
My mistake, I didn't see the new video, I looked on the web site he got it from according to the video, couldn't find it, I guess i'm wrong or something is not right with the battery opening the cabinet will definitely tell, this is what i know and have seen, and got.
BYD 01389.1580154961.jpg

My mistake, I didn't see the new video, I looked on the web site he got it from according to the video, couldn't find it, I guess i'm wrong or something is not right with the battery opening the cabinet will definitely tell, this is what i know and have seen, and got.
View attachment 16104

BMS's should have a led status light in series with a momentary switch so that one can easily see if they are online or not.
They should... but I've yet to see it.

My guess is there is something wrong with BMS. I recommend to see if you can find a way to pre charge the inverter capacitators.
My theory is that your switching on and off of the battery is slowly charging the caps each time until they are full enough to not trip the BMS or whatever is causing the problem.

Sorry this is all a big guess from afar

My guess is there is something wrong with BMS. I recommend to see if you can find a way to pre charge the inverter capacitators.
My theory is that your switching on and off of the battery is slowly charging the caps each time until they are full enough to not trip the BMS or whatever is causing the problem.

Sorry this is all a big guess from afar

I think we figured out its the battery cables .. probably some cheap ass aluminum stuff - under gauged and melted first time he fired it up

Here is the difference in cable size. I may be able to go to a fitting store tomorrow and get the ends for the Anderson connector and the mpp end 20200624_200337.jpgto try new cables

Woot! Glad you got it figured out! Thanks for the update and keep us posted on your adventures! Great to see you in the first frame with the meter!

got an email back from the MPP seller. They seem to think it is poor cables too. here is a screen shot of the email.

Capture.PNGguhij.PNG

got an email back from the MPP seller. They seem to think it is poor cables too. here is a screen shot of the email.

View attachment 16111
First off I could be wayyyy wrong but often times we pre charge inverter Caps with a resistor to slow down the charge process. so if the cables were too small they would act as a resistor and still charge the Caps. Im still willing to bet ghost but am not saying that im right for sure. There is no harm enlarging the wires and it should be done in any case

also that is a 60 amp BMS listed is a 65 amp and I am curious as to how it would handle 130A discharge

diy solar

diy solar
Back