diy solar

diy solar

Voltage Dives with Any Load

Pokerking1993

Hello,
I built my 4s LiFePo bank a couple of years ago and never used or tested it until now. I ran small fans and a heat gun but never pulled more than 10A on it until I hooked up an electric burner (since this is supposed to be backup power) and pulled a peak of 52A. Ever since that test, ANY load I put on the bank the voltage dives to basically 0. I just want to confirm that my cells indeed bad before shelling out for another set.

Example: I have a 4A load on it right now and the voltage dives from 13.9v to 10v

Last edited:
Are you considering amps at 12v or 120v? Sounds like you are using the 120v amp data and not allowing for 12v conversion, so your 9 amps (120VAC) would be 90 amps (12VDC). (basing this off the heat gun comment, and your 13.9v reference).

How big is this battery? BMS? What size wiring?
The listed cell capacity is 320Ah per cell for a total of 1280Ah. BMS is a RadioB Tech Smart BMS 4S 12V 150A. I have I think 4 gauge wire coming off of the pack but my load tester is using some small 18 gauge wire. The pack voltage is 12v. I had it hooked to a 1500w inverter when I was testing with the heat gun and burner. As of now, the pack is unhooked from the inverter and I am using this load tester to put a load on the cells. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HB3XK7L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The listed cell capacity is 320Ah per cell for a total of 1280Ah. BMS is a RadioB Tech Smart BMS 4S 12V 150A. I have I think 4 gauge wire coming off of the pack but my load tester is using some small 18 gauge wire. The pack voltage is 12v. I had it hooked to a 1500w inverter when I was testing with the heat gun and burner. As of now, the pack is unhooked from the inverter and I am using this load tester to put a load on the cells. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HB3XK7L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Your package voltage (12v) is way to low.

What are you using to charge your pack?

I would start by testing the voltage of each cell, then try charging each cell individually. If the cells take a normal charge and are acting fine and the problem still exists, it must be your BMS misbehaving.

Alright, charged it about fully a couple of hours ago. Pack voltage holding steady at 14.2v. Cell 1: 3.557v Cell 2: 3.558v Cell 3: 3.563v Cell 4: 3.569v
Those all look great.

Apply a load and check for heat buildup at the connections.

Both. Try to check the voltage of each cell when you have a 10 amp DC load.
Hmm. So I think it was just a poor connection. I have a quick disconnect and I think it was just that... I hooked jumper cables from the pack to the inverter and pulled 30A no problem. Gonna figure out another quick disconnect solution. Sorry for wasting time on this.

Back