diy solar

diy solar

warm breaker, can I increase size above 60a ?

I have those but not by choice. They are inexpensive. I’ve had bad ones, but that’s not too common. Have you actually measured it with a clamp meter or looked at what the inverter says?

I don't go and try and correct Hedges lightly, but no. Breakers are rated to trip at their rated current, not 80%. The trip curve in the data sheet for any AC breaker will show this.

The NEC says that you should not size permanently installed equipment to draw more than 80%, but that's a different issue.

For US domestic breakers you’re 100% correct.

As I said I am a bit confused on the basics I guess

the 6548 inverters run 120v each so 6500/120 is about 54 amps max output for each inverter
my 2 ton mini splits run at 240v and are spec with 20 amp breakers using 12/2 romex wired like a window unit with L1 , L2 and ground wire, no neutral. I dont think they actually run over 15 amps each
so in theory, my system should run 3 mini splits with no problem if nothing else is running ?
correct ?

Did you measure the current on each leg? Probably good to use Vue2 to get the timeseries.

That will get to the ground truth of whether the amount of current on each leg is what you expect. There could be deviation from that based on your misunderstanding or miswiring.

Ok, then I am confused how much power they demand.
24A 240V is a LOT of draw from a single minisplit...

Can you post the service tag from the h?
I dont know if my emporia vue is giving me bad info or what.
no way the mini splits use over 20 amps, they have 20 amp breakers, I think they are around 15a max running
so both running should not be over 30a load max

with the emporia on 240v circuits, you put a ct on 1 leg and tell the system to double the usage

when the 60a breaker tripped, I looked at emporia and it showed each mini split using about 12a and 3000w
so about 25a total, but it showed my total usage at about twice that...50a and 6000w and not much else was running, just lights etc
so I frankly dont know what the issue is/was

thats why Im wondering... my system should be able to run 3 mini splits at 15a each/240v all at the same time ??

the emporia data showing 3000w per mini split and 6000 total looked right, nothing much else running,
but the amps showing 12a each for 25a looked right, but total usage showing double amps of 50a
has me wondering WTH ??
I dont know whats up

anyway for now I rewired 1 minisplit back to the grid, and ordered a changeover switch so I will be able to select either grid or off grid for 1 of the mini splits and will not run both off grid till I figure this out
may change the 60a breaker just to rule out an issue

seems to me running 2 at 15a each should allow plenty of room for other appliances

Last edited:
I think you should overkill/gather redundant data because confusing times call for desperate measures. Trust nothing in your model of what is going on.

One CT on each legs of the 60A main breaker.

If they are 240V circuits, sure you can have one for the whole circuit. If there is a neutral leading out from the panel, put one CT on each leg. Maybe it's not wired the way you remember.

Ah you already measured the redundant data already... maybe throw more CTs at it / turn off other breakers until things start making sense.

Maybe flip the minisplit breaker while running and see how much the feeder CT goes down.

Maybe use a Clamp meter as an independent check of the Emporia.

What does your AIO's show in the way of AC out wattage? They should have a readout.

Do you have anything that shows power factor? I think Emporia has it internally, not sure if it's accessible via the app, I've never seen it, but maybe if you use Home Assistant connector you can pull it. Maybe these minisplits are cursed and have zero PFC.

Another possibility is bad connection at the breaker causing it to heat more than expected (like busbar or wire terminal). Is the breaker fast-tripping or slow-tripping after some runtime?

6000w/240vAC=25a

ETA: If you are running 2-6500w units as split phase you are just about maxed.
OK maybe this is also what Im confused about
solar assistant and emporia both showed using 6000w
lets say all of the load is 240v
each of the minisplits are only using 15a, running 240v, thats 15a on L1 from 1 inverter and 15a on L2 from the other inverter
So running 2 minisplits at 15a each, I have 30a on L1 from one inverter and 30a from the other inverter
I thought the inverters can output about 54a each at 120v

what dont I understand about split phase so the system is maxing out at 25a ?

OK maybe this is also what Im confused about
solar assistant and emporia both showed using 6000w
lets say all of the load is 240v
each of the minisplits are only using 15a, running 240v, thats 15a on L1 from 1 inverter and 15a on L2 from the other inverter
So running 2 minisplits at 15a each, I have 30a on L1 from one inverter and 30a from the other inverter
I thought the inverters can output about 54a each at 120v

what dont I understand about split phase so the system is maxing out at 25a ?
Sorry my error. I made the mistake of thinking each AIO was seeing 6000w. Instead they are seeing only half each. Each leg of your 240vAC would indicate 12.5a. if you tossed a clamp on meter on either L1 or L2.

At any rate the problem seems to be your breaker and not your load.

Sorry my error. I made the mistake of thinking each AIO was seeing 6000w. Instead they are seeing only half each. Each leg of your 240vAC would indicate 12.5a. if you tossed a clamp on meter on either L1 or L2.

At any rate the problem seems to be your breaker and not your load.
ok thanks

the 6548 inverters run 120v each so 6500/120 is about 54 amps max output for each inverter
Its my understanding thats off both legs. so 25A L1-N and 25A L2-N I am fairly certain you can not pull 50A off L1-N (0A L2-N)

it matters when you start stacking 110v loads on a 220v split phase system.

Its my understanding thats off both legs. so 25A L1-N and 25A L2-N I am fairly certain you can not pull 50A off L1-N (0A L2-N)

it matters when you start stacking 110v loads on a 220v split phase system.
Amps in a 230V system do not add up.
If you have 240V on l1 to l2, you measure 25A on either l1 or l2, you have 25A...
Not 50...

Amps in a 230V system do not add up.
If you have 240V on l1 to l2, you measure 25A on either l1 or l2, you have 25A...
Not 50...
I understand that. however the quote that i copied from OP's post suggested 54a of 120v. I was clarifying that you cant pull 54a off one leg.

people have a tendacy to stack 40A of 120v (4800w) of demand off one side of a 220v inverter and then get confused when it wont power it ("but its below the 6kw output")

is there a max imbalance between L1 and L2 that would cause either the inverter to shut down or the main breaker to trip, when total usage is below max on both legs ? in other words a breaker trip or inverter shut down just due to imbalance rather than overload ?
this would be in a dual inverter split phase setup like mine
I may need to verify how off balance I might be and move breaker positions

is there a max imbalance between L1 and L2 that would cause either the inverter to shut down or the main breaker to trip, when total usage is below max on both legs ? in other words a breaker trip or inverter shut down just due to imbalance rather than overload ?
this would be in a dual inverter split phase setup like mine
I may need to verify how off balance I might be and move breaker positions
I was thinking that the LV6548 was a native 220v inverter. IT is not. As a single unit it ONLY supports single phase. so yes you can pull 54a off one L-N connection.

So consider that your max per-leg current. on 220v (dual parallel split phase) each unit will put 54a into their "side" of the 220v.

so per my previous example, just have to move up in power, your total power is 13kw, (for example you cant draw 8kw off one leg even though its well below your 13kw system limit)

As to your question, yes if you pull more than 60a off one side of the 220v breaker it should trip. Your inverters should alarm an overload if you pull more than the 54a off them, likely trigger auto-shutdown. On my growatt I can set an auto restart which I have enabled.

Yeah, if you are pulling 24A combined from the minisplits, AND you have a few 120V loads on one leg... both inverters will overload. The breaker can trip...

diy solar

diy solar
Back