diy solar

diy solar

Wattage Drop and Volt loss

Seabear,

Do you have spare MC4's laying around?

If so, make a couple diagnostic connectors. Take a Male and female. In one pin crimp two say, 1' long leads and assemble connector. Then on one of the leads, crimp an opposite sex connector and assemble.

Make two of these. You then have two break-out connectors you can plug in anwhere and check for voltage on the exposed leads. Check at each panel and each connections. Voltage should be the same throughout the system under load.

In other words if you have 40 volts at your panels and 21 at your CC, then you have connector issues etc

No luck. The unit still does not provide sufficient solar input watts.
Can you post a pic of your wiring? Particularly solar parallel connections, meter wiring and fuse (which is totally unnecessary so remove at least until this is sorted out).

A lot of eyes here have spotted quite a few problems and areas for improvement.

Otherwise, i got nuttin.

Honestly, are you sure you're just not experiencing diminishing sunlight?

You keep moving the panels around because trees are blocking the sun.

Seabear,

If so, make a couple diagnostic connectors. Take a Male and female. In one pin crimp two say, 1' long leads and assemble connector. Then on one of the leads, crimp an opposite sex connector and assemble.

Make two of these. You then have two break-out connectors you can plug in anwhere and check for voltage on the exposed leads. Check at each panel and each connections. Voltage should be the same throughout the system under load.

In other words if you have 40 volts at your panels and 21 at your CC, then you have connector issues etc
Great idea. I am definitely borrowing this. I have been an electronic tech for years. Always fun when someone teaches you to make your own tool....

Honestly, are you sure you're just not experiencing diminishing sunlight?

You keep moving the panels around because trees are blocking the sun.
Panels are stationary as this is my first winter for the panel movement location. I chose area with full sun, 3-4 hrs. The summer panel location gives me 4-5 hours of full sun. I'll only be moving them twice a year. Tree crown cutting may be in my future though. Appriciate the feed back.

Great idea. I am definitely borrowing this. I have been an electronic tech for years. Always fun when someone teaches you to make your own tool....

I do and can crimp. Can you please assist with a diagram to make
diagnostic connectors? Thanks.

Can you post a pic of your wiring? Particularly solar parallel connections, meter wiring and fuse (which is totally unnecessary so remove at least until this is sorted out).

A lot of eyes here have spotted quite a few problems and areas for improvement.

Otherwise, i got nuttin.

Attachments

• Front_Panels_wired left to right.jpg
    Front_Panels_wired left to right.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • Panels_Rt_Side View.jpg
    Panels_Rt_Side View.jpg
    932.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Rear Panels 1 & 2.jpg
    Rear Panels 1 & 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Rear_Panels 3 & 4.jpg
    Rear_Panels 3 & 4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Correction and Update: Sorry for the delay as I have mobility issues.

When I first posted I had mentioned an xt60i cable attached to the Ecoflow Delta 2 (EFD2), it was an xt60. I tested all MC4 connectors, as one poster suggested, @Checkthisout, THANKS. Also tested each panel for Ecoflow support, no issues. I purchased a 100-foot >XT60i< cable and ran it from the panels to the EFD2 unit directly, about 75 feet, without extensions. It works. (Credit to a YT commentator). Output from panels to the EFD2 is 320 watts in full sun. Thank you for all for the suggestions, workarounds, and comments. A little solar smarter now. Thank you DIY fourm too.

Back