diy solar

diy solar

What breaker size and is this correct?

Jack Rabbit Off Grid

Solar Enthusiast
So I have my Magnum 4448-PAE and mini Magnum panel connected to a sub panel. The sub panel I have double 60 amp breaker feeding each leg of my off grid house. The reason I used it at the was I because I had the double 60 just laying around.

In the pictures you will see the sub panel. The double 60’s run my house. The single 15’s run each receptacle that is connected to the bottom of it. Since the Magnum outputs 18.3 amps per leg should I switch the double 60 to a double 20amp?

Also I don’t understand why the Magnum main A/C out is a single 30 amp? the manual claims the unit is capable of 18.3 per leg 36.6 total.

Attachments

• 969CBE2C-761D-41B8-AA6A-93C6EE583A64.jpeg
    969CBE2C-761D-41B8-AA6A-93C6EE583A64.jpeg
    280.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 3FAC4D22-0C74-473B-B1D0-104A97E88400.jpeg
    3FAC4D22-0C74-473B-B1D0-104A97E88400.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 11
So I have my Magnum 4448-PAE and mini Magnum panel connected to a sub panel. The sub panel I have double 60 amp breaker feeding each leg of my off grid house. The reason I used it at the was I because I had the double 60 just laying around.

In the pictures you will see the sub panel. The double 60’s run my house. The single 15’s run each receptacle that is connected to the bottom of it. Since the Magnum outputs 18.3 amps per leg should I switch the double 60 to a double 20amp?

Also I don’t understand why the Magnum main A/C out is a single 30 amp? the manual claims the unit is capable of 18.3 per leg 36.6 total.
18.3A per leg on a 240V split phase circuit is 18.3A load.

Watts add up, amps don't, in a split phase feeder.

If you install a double 20, and the inverter is outputting it's surge wattage capability, the 20 will trip.

You should size the wiring for the maximum ampacity load you could experience, and match the breaker for that load.

The 30 amp inverter breaker should cover the wire no problem and the 60 amp breaker is simply a switch. I wouldn’t bother changing it
That was my original plan. But plans change when your neighbor that’s more illegal then you turns you in. Now the county wants to inspect my shit. Normally I would tell them to kick rocks. But I need my conditional use permit approved.

Sorry to hear about your Neighbor issues. If it makes you feel better you could swap out the 60 for a 30, I doubt that a inspector is going to be very concerned about that if he wants it changed he will add it to the list of the other things you had never thought of that he wants done to whatever code he is accountable to. Inspectors are people just like us if you are open and honest with them they will usually be the same with you. The code followed by your jurisdiction is specific to your area and the interpretation of that code is up to your inspector pretty hard to know exactly what will be required especially for a technology that is still changing along with the codes.

Back