diy solar

diy solar

What breaker size from main panel to grid in on 6000xp

cardenas_peter

I’m wiring a new circuit to feed grid in to a 6000xp but not sure what breaker size. Will be feeding mostly 120v circuits. Thx

I’m wiring a new circuit to feed grid in to a 6000xp but not sure what breaker size. Will be feeding mostly 120v circuits. Thx
You have a choice depending upon how much "ByPass" current you intend upon using.

From the 6000XP Spec. & Manual;
Rated output current while in Inverter mode is 25A @240v.
Max Battery Charging from Grid appears to be 25A @240 (after reading **115A@48VDC (AC) note & applying the 93% charging efficiency)
Max Continuous AC Input Current is 37.5A @240v
AC Bypass grid current can be 50A @240v output.

So, as a starting point:
Keeping to the 6000XP recommended 8AWG THHN wire, lets say the 90 degree C rated wire. NEC 310.16 table states 55A.
So.. if your over current protection device (OCPD) is suppose to protect the wire. Then a 50A breaker will do just fine as the max breaker you can apply.

Going further...lets look at the AC in:
It appears the AC IN circuit breaker in the 6000XP appears to be functioning more as an AC IN disconnect. Meaning our true over current protection is coming from your newly added 50 A breaker.

Now...lets look at bypass (maybe differently as I understand the spec & manual):
While in bypass, supporting both the 25A rated load and the 25A max charge rate capability (115A@48Vdc) may not be possible at the same time. Since there is a Max Continuous AC Input current limit of 37.5A within the 6000XP spec.

Meaning adjusting either the load requirement or charging capability (via programming) to maintain the 37.5 A will yield a workable solution.

So...my thoughts have taken me to a 40A breaker since the 37.5A Max Continuous AC input rating creates the limit.
  • Keeping the 25A rated load while maintaining the 37.5A Max Continuous AC input rating
  • Keeping the recommended 8AWG THHN wire @ 90 degree C = 55A
50A AC Grid Breaker:
37.5 AC continuous input limit -> Implemented as 25A for Full load + 12.5A AC charging capability remains (58Adc @ 48Vdc)

40A AC Grid Breaker:
37.5 AC continuous input limit -> Implemented as 25A for Full load + 12.5A AC charging capability remains (58Adc @ 48Vdc)
Note: Same as 50A breaker

Note: If more charge current beyond 58Adc @ 48Vdc is needed from AC grid. You still have 125Adc @ 48Vdc from the PV input to support the charging of the battery or maybe look into a ChargeVerter.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Sjr
thx bud great response. another question if you dont mind. i have not been able to get the wifi dongle to work. when i plug it in the wifi led flashes ,
the inverter led and the middle led are off. tried replugging and reset power always the same result. so i can't connect thru my phone or laptop. any help would be awesome. thx again

thx bud great response. another question if you dont mind. i have not been able to get the wifi dongle to work. when i plug it in the wifi led flashes ,
the inverter led and the middle led are off. tried replugging and reset power always the same result. so i can't connect thru my phone or laptop. any help would be awesome. thx again
That means it's not connected to your wifi network. Did you go through the procedure in the manual for connecting to the dongle's internal wifi hotspot to be able to configure it to be able to connect to your home's wifi?

That means it's not connected to your wifi network. Did you go through the procedure in the manual for connecting to the dongle's internal wifi hotspot to be able to configure it to be able to connect to your home's wifi?
hi az,
hi az, yes went thru the instructions completely. in the manual it implies that once the dongle is connected the inverter led should auto on solid.

hi az,

hi az, yes went thru the instructions completely. in the manual it implies that once the dongle is connected the inverter led should auto on solid.
The bottom light goes solid when connected to your WiFi. The others I think only go solid once you connect it with the eg4 monitoring portal. If you’ve done all that then you might have a hardware issue. I know mine didn’t want to connect without the screws holding it down tightly.

Back