diy solar

diy solar

What component to install first if installing one component at a time?

If you want to reduce your electric bill, first step is to determine net-metering terms, and any plans for those terms to change. If no net metering, could be zero export (use it or lose it regarding PV), or battery based.

Ignoring battery backup ("decrease my grid reliance, increase my resiliency"), grid-tie PV with net metering is the way to reduce electric bill. Hardware costs $1.00 to $1.30/W, and amorized over 20 years will produce power for $0.025 to $0.03/kWh. Turn-key installed will cost $2.00 to $4.00/W and produce power for maybe $0.075 to $0.12/kW

Operating with the grid down is a big jump it hardware requirements and cost, if you want to run motors. Backup of internet connection is simple enough. Backup of electric heat is impractical if not impossible.

You have to "audit" or otherwise tabulate your needs for peak operating watts, motor starting surge watts, watt-hours per day. Then you can identify inverters able to do that, and design a system with batteries and PV around them.
This thread is taking a turn from the reason I posted it. I've been researching and planning a solar system for several years, including analyzing loads and reducing them with high efficiency appliances as well as understanding the equipment that I would need to meet my goals. I do appreciate the feedback though. I'm looking to exchange an up-front investment in hardware for a long term zero electric bill. My state has some of the highest electricity rates in the country. I know my electric load and have been working on reducing that as well. The solar system that I need will pay for itself in 8-10 years but I know that in that time and for years after that I won't have a $200 electric bill every month.

Over the several years you have researched, things have changed. In particular price of lithium batteries.

If you have grid-tie net metering available, and if the terms don't change (remaining 100% credit for backfeed), DIY GT PV could pay for itself in 2 years and give free electricity for the following 18 years. Inverter life of at least 10, maybe 20 years should be expected, and is maybe 20% of cost, can be replaced economically. Panels should be delivering 80% to 95% of initial power after 20 years, should last 40 years. But some models degrade, some quite rapidly; it can depend on environmental conditions also panel design/material problems.

Not relying on net metering, low-cost batteries should be cost effective. (High cost batteries are same price per kWh of cycle life as the grid so worthless for saving money.)

A battery inverter running 24/7 rather than just when the sun shines could have lifespan half of a GT PV inverter. I don't have first-hand knowledge of that. SMA warrants Sunny Island battery inverters for 10 years, Sunny Boy PV inverters for 20 years. I ran 5 Sunny Boy for 17 years with a couple failures, calculated about 32 years MTBF.

Because PV panels have become so cheap, 10% of what they were couple decades ago, maybe 5% for second hand, an alternative to battery may be to greatly over-panel, use-it-or-lose-it. Cheaper to make more electricity at $0.025/kWh than to sometimes buy from grid for $0.25 to $0.50, or to store in batteries costing $0.05/kWh or more.

To answer your initial question,

As a general rule, what would be the first component that I should target installing? I'm thinking that would be a grid-tied inverter and an emergency shut-off switch but I wanted to get some feed back.

Grid tied inverter automatically shuts off when grid is down, UL-1741. A separate switch is suggested by the utility (maybe required in some jurisdictions) so they can positively isolate it, otherwise could pull meter leaving you with no power.

If you start with a basic grid-tied inverter, that won't grow into a system with backup, except by adding a separate battery inverter. If you go that route, plan and price the future system. Enphase microinverters may work best with Enphase battery inverter. Most string inverters that support Rule-21 frequency-watts should AC couple with grid-forming battery inverters like SMA Sunny Island, Outback, Schneider. Newer Enphase have difficulty with that. Sunny Island may be discontinued?

For more money up front but less money overall, you could use a batteries-optional hybrid. That's why I mentioned SolArk earlier - people here who have it generally seem satisfied.

Likewise, is there a guide laying out what order components should be installed in? My thinking is that once that is in, I can work on the solar array as time/money is available and connect it to the inverter which would already be in place. Likewise I could add a battery array as finances allow and keep doing that until I've reach my goal.

Plan and price in advance. Batteries can be the most expensive part. Currently, 48V LiFePO4 server-rack batteries seem to be the best price, but several may be needed to supply starting surge for motors. Some systems have no communication battery <--> inverter, those that do require specific models (which may not continue to be available.)

I've already been researching and planning this for several years. Your assumption is that I haven't. I know the design of my system but wanted input on what to install first. Again, I respectfully disagree that my electric bill won't go down over time and that I wouldn't have electricity when the grid is down. I appreciate the feedback though.

Please tell us the models you are planning to use. Features and performance vary, and people here have experience with many.

There is a financial pull to begin developing an AC coupled system because there are lower startup costs, but what you probably want is a DC coupled system.

I am in the same boat and am going with Inverter > Batteries > Charge Controller > Solar Panels.

But you sort of have to go whole hog on each step. So I am currently sitting on an XW inverter that I can't even turn on.

You would probably want to wait until you can start with at least an XW + Insight + 1 Lifepower4 if you were following in my steps.

I'm quite happy with my AC coupled system. Happy with the price because I got the battery inverters for $0.25 on the dollar. Some are still available at half, sometimes 1/3 of retail.
AC coupled systems are quite efficient if most of their life is spent backfeeding the grid. Also good if larger off-grid loads operate while the sun shines.

Rather than a traditional DC coupled system (PV --> battery), AIO with HV DC intermediate bus may be good.

SolArk does that and uses 48V battery. Stackable and 3-phase supported. Moderately expensive inverter, but less than AC coupled or DC coupled component system.

I expect Sunny Boy Smart Energy to be similar but with 100V to 500V battery (higher price battery maybe 2x what server rack costs, fewer sources.) Not stackable (I don't think.) I expect inverter to be 1/3 or 1/2 the price of SolArk (due out later this year.) I plan to install it batteryless (at first) instead of GT PV.

There is a financial pull to begin developing an AC coupled system because there are lower startup costs, but what you probably want is a DC coupled system.

I am in the same boat and am going with Inverter > Batteries > Charge Controller > Solar Panels.

But you sort of have to go whole hog on each step. So I am currently sitting on an XW inverter that I can't even turn on.

You would probably want to wait until you can start with at least an XW + Insight + 1 Lifepower4 if you were following in my steps.
I kinda agree with the whole hog idea. If you want any benefit from your design as you go you'll need a limited amount of components per step, ie, aio and panels or aio and battery ties to grid.

If you got only batteries, you wouldn't be able to do anything with it. Same applies to each component.

My question would be, what, if any, benefit from your solar system do you want first?

NEM is something to strive for, not to avoid.
For free (or maybe $10/month), an unlimited capacity 100% efficient battery with zero self-discharge (except once per year at true-up.)

Without NEM, consider zero-export, and a battery inverter like SBS supports that by sucking down excess and then peak-shaving. Maybe other battery inverters with CT could do similar.

My equipment (Sunny Island) unfortunately doesn't seem to have zero-export (at the meter) or peak shaving in its functions.

Schneider inverter is good. Growatts are cheap and stackable.

Do you need 120v only, or 240v? Note: some growatts are 240v, but not split phase (120v line). Make sure it is 48v battery compatible. You can get an 11kW growatt for around $1,300. Probably won't need more for a cabin. You can get half that for half the price, but then you will have the expense of paralleling. The advantage of two is if one fails.

Buy the inverter first. Then you buy panels that are compatible. Lots of posts about people trying to figure out how to install panels just outside of the range of the inverter.

1 Stackable AIO first.
Some solar next, then some battery. if the AIO can run batteryless.
Otherwise, get a small amount of battery before solar.
After that, you can grow each part as needed and funds become available.
Always keep the end goal in mind. So that you don't do anything twice.

You have got to go AIO first because everything goes through it. But you might as well start it with some panels and some battery.

Battery can even be 4x 12V second hand car battery from junk yard.
It can provide starting surge for motors and keep things running when a small cloud passes by. Set LVD high to avoid discharging deeply.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I have 21 used panels from our 17 year old grid-tie system that is being replaced by a 9.6kW grid-tie system. I've purchased an EG4 6000ex (120/240) and three EG4 LiFePower4 batteries. The batteries are critical since you can't commission the system without battery power. The 200 watt panels will be used to provide solar power to the AIO and it will also have AC power coming from the main panel. The main purpose of the system is to supplement the main, grid-tie system with further reduction in power purchased from PGE, in the Portland area.

I've already been researching and planning this for several years. Your assumption is that I haven't. I know the design of my system but wanted input on what to install first. Again, I respectfully disagree that my electric bill won't go down over time and that I wouldn't have electricity when the grid is down. I appreciate the feedback though.

It sounds like your wanting to do exactly what I did.

I purchased the Sungold tp6048 first and installed it. I happened to of had some old panels but even if I had no panels at all that would of still been my first purchase.

The tp6048 is a hybrid inverter. So you install it with it being fed from the grid. This means all you need is a 240 volt breaker installed in your current breaker box that feeds power to the inverter.

Then you install a cheap sub panel box and match the sub panel box you buy to the same type as the breaker box you have now. This way you just move the breakers from the old box to the new box for the circuits you want on solar. You can start out with a single breaker if you want.

Of course at this point you are just passing power thru the inverter to whatever loads you moved to the panel but its there and ready to go.

Next you buy panels as your budget allows. It will take 4 panels minimum to meet the hybrid inverters requirements to start working. After that you can buy them 1 at a time or more at a time depending on how much you want to spend. Every single panel past the first 4 will lower your power bill.

Once you have enough panels to satisfy your wants/needs then start buying batteries.

Simple and quite cheap road to solar power.

My story was pretty much the same.
But I went with an off grid AIO. I didn't need the export feature. Just wanted the grid for backup.
I also had the first AIO and sub panel installed and running. Before batteries and solar.
I then installed some solar and reduced my electric bill during the day. Then a battery, and reduced my electric bill during the night.
Since then, I have increased the size of all sections in phases. As funds and free time are available.

In order for us to provide good advice we need to know what loads you are ultimately planning to power. An energy audit will educate us (and more importantly you) on the magnitude of the system. Much more informative than the statement “8-10kwh”. Today get a Kill-a-Watt and start measuring instead of using theory.

Doing is much more educational than researching. The easiest thing to do is store batteries and wire to an inverter. Agreed an all-in-one inverter will further simplify the system. While panels may be the cheapest part of the system, they are the most difficult to install.

I would first learn with a grid-backup system using only the grid to charge the batteries. The AIO will easily handle this task. You can start with a few batteries and only power the critical loads (fridge for food, lights to see, internet for info). I survive just fine with a 2500W inverter and ~5kwh of battery. As your experience and funding expands, then add more load, battery, and panels.

Last edited:
Back