diy solar

diy solar

What do you all think about this EG4 deal?

Are you exaggerating about the 50%? If not, can you help provide of an example on a DIY with similar specs to an EG4 LifePower4 48V Rack battery @ $1260?
16 280ah cells with busbars are about $2000 shipped. You need a $120 jk bms and a $30 Nader breaker and that's about 14kwh for about $2200. I think that would be about $4600 in rack batteries?

Last edited:
8 280ah cells with busbars are about $2000 shipped. You need a $120 jk bms and a $30 Nader breaker and that's about 14kwh for about $2200. I think that would be about $4600 in rack batteries?
Price have dropped quite a bit.

Are you exaggerating about the 50%? If not, can you help provide of an example on a DIY with similar specs to an EG4 LifePower4 48V Rack battery @ $1260?
Cell crashes in China have crashed in 2023. This has not been passed on to neither of the UL9540 nor lower tier pre-assembled batteries.

The flip side of this is, the lazies could also wait until it is passed on. As a lazy and someone that needs the certifications, I'm hoping 6-12 months.

I don't think I want to go through all that work to build them though. I've been looking at that and it seems a lot more work than I want to do and I like to have a warranty. But thank you for the suggestion
I promise you there is nothing to it. The only time consuming part is crimping ends on the jk bms leads. It's extremely easy
I'm with Captain Ron. Building one string not an issue, start building 90-120KWH or more, now you have to deal with multiple busses multiple BMC's and a place to put it all. Once you start buying a standard rack cabinet, and a rack and bus-bars and ... The price differential drops dramatically. I mean if you are willing to go to Costo and get a steel shelf, and shove a few thousand pounds of batteries on it, then run a bunch of busses along the edge and, ... or build something . . . Or just buy a 30KWH rack with a bus and wheels ready to go, cable it up with some 4/0 and fuses. It's the maintenance angle too, I'd rather just shut down 100A a pop and swap it. If you have lot's of room and you like fiddling with lot's of wires, and tweaking BMC's, and custom building racks and mounts for big prismatics and BMC's, then you can save a few bucks, assuming your time is free. Sometimes it's not about the money, sometimes it is.

8 280ah cells with busbars are about $2000 shipped. You need a $120 jk bms and a $30 Nader breaker and that's about 14kwh for about $2200. I think that would be about $4600 in rack batteries?
Thanks for the sample! I guess I've been watching all the wrong YT videos. :)

I'm with Captain Ron. Building one string not an issue, start building 90-120KWH or more, now you have to deal with multiple busses multiple BMC's and a place to put it all. Once you start buying a standard rack cabinet, and a rack and bus-bars and ... The price differential drops dramatically. I mean if you are willing to go to Costo and get a steel shelf, and shove a few thousand pounds of batteries on it, then run a bunch of busses along the edge and, ... or build something . . . Or just buy a 30KWH rack with a bus and wheels ready to go, cable it up with some 4/0 and fuses. It's the maintenance angle too, I'd rather just shut down 100A a pop and swap it. If you have lot's of room and you like fiddling with lot's of wires, and tweaking BMC's, and custom building racks and mounts for big prismatics and BMC's, then you can save a few bucks, assuming your time is free. Sometimes it's not about the money, sometimes it is.
120kwh in server rack batteries would cost you about $36k

Diy abt $16k . Yeah I'll diy thanks.

I have 60kwh on one DeWalt rack that can hold 4500lbs. Each battery is about 300lbs. So it can hold away more capacity than I have on it. I have no need to roll it around ever so something on wheels holds no appeal.

There are 4 batteries total that go to a small bus bar and on to the inverters

It took about an hour to build each one. Yeah I'll do that all day to save thousands.

120kwh in server rack batteries would cost you about $36k

Diy abt $16k . Yeah I'll diy thanks.

I have 60kwh on one DeWalt rack that can hold 4500lbs. Each battery is about 300lbs. So it can hold away more capacity than I have on it. I have no need to roll it around ever so something on wheels holds no appeal.

There are 4 batteries total that go to a small bus bar and on to the inverters

It took about an hour to build each one. Yeah I'll do that all day to save thousands.
Wow! Thanks for the inspiration to diy. Is it a good idea to purchase a spare cell or 2, or bms?

Wow! Thanks for the inspiration to diy. Is it a good idea to purchase a spare cell or 2, or bms?
It's not a bad idea. I don't think I would buy a spare cell but Definitely get a spare bms or two. I bought one spare bms and an already am using it for another battery 🤣 so I need to get at least one more as a backup. When you can build batteries for cheap it gets addictive lol

I bought my cells from batteryhookup.com

It's not a bad idea. I don't think I would buy a spare cell but Definitely get a spare bms or two. I bought one spare bms and an already am using it for another battery 🤣 so I need to get at least one more as a backup. When you can build batteries for cheap it gets addictive lol

I bought my cells from batteryhookup.com
I second the addiction :) Damn it - that's where the paychecks went...

Back