diy solar

diy solar

What happens if BMS trips?

yeahnah

Say I have 3x 12V 100Ah (100 amp BMS) batteries hooked up in parallel to a 3000W inverter pulling a 3000W load. If a BMS activates on just one battery for whatever reason, what happens to the rest of the system seeing as though the 3000W load is now too much for the two remaining batteries?

Alternatively, if there was no load but the batteries were charging and just one BMS/battery tripped and the charge current now exceeded the charge capacity of the two remaining batteries - what happens?

I'm trying to understand the impact on the system of one battery failing during use.

I'd assume with all the fuses/breakers you'd have a few blow where needed to protect everything. So you'd need to trace back to discover it was a battery/BMS fault, fix that, then reset any tripped breakers/fuses. Is this correct or am I off base?

Is there something that can be installed to protect the remaining batteries if one of them faults? (to prevent exceeding any current ratings on the remaining batteries/BMSs)

Thanks!

Last edited:
If a BMS activates on just one battery for whatever reason, what happens to the rest of the system seeing as though the 3000W load is now too much for the two remaining batteries?
This will depend on the BMS you are using, but in general I would assume that the other two would detect the over-current and shut down in rapid succession.
Alternatively, if there was no load but the batteries were charging and just one BMS/battery tripped and the charge current now exceeded the charge capacity of the two remaining batteries - what happens?
If the BMSs have over-charge protection, they would shut down.
Is there something that can be installed to protect the remaining batteries if one of them faults? (to prevent exceeding any current ratings on the remaining batteries/BMSs)
Nothing comes to mind, but there are a lot of smart folks on the forum so somone might have a solution for you.

OK that makes a lot of sense and seems embarrassingly obvious now. Thank you

Back