diy solar

diy solar

What is a usual measurement for utility voltage?

Delmar

Solar Addict
The last couple of weeks my UPS was in “AVR Trim” indicating high utility voltage. Yesterday the fan was running while on grid, assume because the massive transformer was warm.

Today I finally measured with my non-RMS meter and it indicated 128V and would jump around +/- 0.5 volts. I never recall a utility reading that high. Is this normal, and is it harmful to my electronics not on the UPS?

Attachments

• 18AH battery.jpg
    18AH battery.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
In the US, the grid is generally stable. The voltage is kept within + or - 10% of nominal voltages. All appliances and equipment are fine in this range.

128 would seem to be at the very high end of normal. Need to discuss with your utility.
Non-RMS should be fine to measure good utility power.

Any chance the other side is reading low?

128 would seem to be at the very high end of normal. Need to discuss with your utility.
Non-RMS should be fine to measure good utility power.

Any chance the other side is reading low?
“Other side” meaning UPS output? I will check and report.

Researched the 1000XL manual and the default is 127V. I’m going to change to 130V to remove nuisance trips.hi-volt.jpg

“Other side” meaning UPS output? I will check and report.
I assume there is 240v split phase service. 120 is one hot to neutral. There will be a second hot that should be measured. Best to go to the main feed breaker.

Looking for an imbalance such as 112 & 128 = 240 spells wire trouble. This is different from 128 + 128 = 256 this to be adjusted by the utility.

I assume there is 240v split phase service. 120 is one hot to neutral. There will be a second hot that should be measured. Best to go to the main feed breaker.

Looking for an imbalance such as 112 & 128 = 240 spells wire trouble. This is different from 128 + 128 = 256 this to be adjusted by the utility.
The 1000XL is at my nearby moms house. My house [that is supplied on a different transformer] measures 128.8 & 129.1 at the breaker panel, and the voltage is more stable only changing a few tenths.

Last edited:
BTW, did you also verify with another meter just in case?
If the meter's battery is low, the reading will shows higher than what it should be.
Also do you notice that the Voltage is high at a certain time of the day?

I had a similar issue from grid voltage (128-130v). Power company had to crimp a new lug on the neutral coming from pole transformer.

My APC was doing the same thing a little while ago, but my measured voltages were normal (around 124VAC IIRC, other leg at the panel was 122VAC). I just unplugged it from the wall (setting into battery mode), plugged it back in, and it was happy again. Weird.

Maryland USA.
My grid is all over the place.

Voltage graph is 24 hour, frequency is last 7 days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210-085418.png
    Screenshot_20230210-085418.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230210-085809.png
    Screenshot_20230210-085809.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 19
Need to check 240vac on dryer or range outlets, or directly in breaker panel. Then check each L side to neutral for balance which would indicate a neutral connection issue.

Neutral for overhead lines is the uninsulated support cable so it is carrying the mechanical stress of supporting the lines as well as neutral current. This support cable has a neutral connection clamp that is exposed to the weather.

Power companies have to predict load on grid and stoke the fire to boil more water to push the generators. This takes several hours to adjust. Load on network varies a lot during the day and if power company doesn't make the correct prediction of demand the voltage will rise or fall from normal average.

Reaction time depends on utility sources. Nuclear power plants are slowest to react, natural gas turbines are quickest.

My grid usually starts to rise about 8-9 pm as usage starts to lighten on grid. I occasionally see 250vac peak and once in a while it peaks close to 255 vac. In the mornings I am usually dead on 240vac.

A few months ago, after never happening in over twenty years of service on my house, my inverters started to drop the grid due to AC input overvoltage at 256 vac. I finally had to bump up the max AC input setting a couple of volts to keep inverters from disconnecting from grid.

Other side of extreme is being at the 'end of the line'. As your area develops, sometimes the utility just band-aids on extensions to accommodate new residential developments resulting in too much voltage drop. Some of their HV transformers have several taps to adjust voltage delivered.

Last edited:
Last night was checked at breaker panel. This morning measured 128.1 at a wall outlet so is consistent.

If it matters I am within 5 miles of a two-year old natural gas power plant. Ongoing road construction has replaced all the power lines between my subdivision and the power plant. I'm at the front of the line.

I see large fluctuations in mine (PP&L). It seems to have gotten worse after my neighbor had a large grid tied system installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20221226_210556.jpg
    IMG_20221226_210556.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230203_133811.jpg
    IMG_20230203_133811.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230203_133559.jpg
    IMG_20230203_133559.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
do your neighbors have solar too? Are they on the same transformer, the way this inverters sell back to the grid is that they generate 1 volt higher then what the power company provides. If your neighbors have solar too you can end up with your inverter competing against theirs where they both will raise the voltage until eventually one of them shuts down (because the voltage is too high). In my state the power company tries to put most solar customers on their own transformer to eliminate problems.

It would be useful to measure your neighbors power, to see if everyone is getting the same results, In my area they consider "normal" + or - 6% (optimal is 120v /240v). If everyone is high you can discuss it with the utility troubleman. The utility company can regulate it at the station. Give them a call, they will send someone that can check everyones power.

Back