diy solar

diy solar

What is the simple answer for off grid grounding ?

Sigh…reread what I said. The lighting protection will be completely separate from the bonded panels with the ground going back to the main. Two different things. The lighting protection won’t even be touching the mounts or panels. It’s job is to try to be a better target so any lighting strikes it rather than the panels.
That should be acceptable if it doesn't touch the mounts, panels, or wiring of your solar system. It's basically just a bunch of metal hanging out in the area with nothing to do with anything else.

I asked Victron about AC being introduced into the DC side of the system. Here is their response...

"Quattro provides galvanic isolation between AC and DC."

So if I am hearing them correctly there would be no AC current backfeeding into the array's DC wiring. Do you read it the same way? You have me concerned and would like to hear your opinion on what this actually means.
Thank you in advance.
I'm not well versed with Victron, but looking at the cut sheet of the Quattro it doesn't have a built-in solar charge controller. That, as I understand it, is what provides the isolation from AC on the PV bus. There is still an opportunity for an AC ripple on the 48V bus, but it is not the same issue as an All-in-One inverter system.

That said, I would still ground the PV array with an equipment grounding conductor. Very small changes can have big impacts.

I was wrong!!!
I talked with my solar/electrician buddy this morning and asked him to re-explain the grounding thing.
I am not sure what happened originally but I misunderstood what he had told me.
The array should be bonded back to the main central grounding/earthing point.
And that holds true even with an earthing system at the array for SPDs, etc.

690.43(C) Seems to disagree with this. Also we have seen cases in the forum where voltages have been induced on metal pv arrays where they were not bonded.
As a master electrician , taught the NEC... we want all grounds to be connected at one point. You can also verify this at Mike Holts forum

I bought a house and when working in the basement found this one foot section of copper pipe dangling from a wire. The clamp had a big yellow warning tag that said this clamp should never be removed. Sometimes legal and technical don't intercept.
I was encouraged by the thread title ?

Is the simple answer that I should run a grounding conductor from the array racking/panel frames to the main panel and tie it to the single ground for the whole system?
I hope so …cause that’s what I did…and I’m still Leary of everything I touch..

My arrays are 280 feet away and no way am I gonna send that current to my power shed. And it won’t be attached to shit other than poles. The mounts and panels won’t be connected. Trying to keep any direct strikes from NOT going through them, but hit elsewhere.
I don’t know for sure if your right or wrong, but at least I can say your a man of conviction…..I like that trait.

Back