diy solar

diy solar

What Mini-Split did you use, and Why?

How long have you had these EG4's?
Installed two at my house this spring when the Goodman central air heat pump cratered. Work great. Put a Senville in my bedroom because it only runs at night. It takes it 5 minutes to crank up for heat while the EG4's seem to start up and produce heat much, much quicker. Just go through putting two more EG4 24K's in my barn. Two may not be enough, but it will make a big difference I hope. The last EG4 almost stumped me. It would not power up. Turns out the positive mc4 connector was not pushed together ( the one inside the unit) got that fished out and connected, works like a charm now.

It seems that Mitsubishi, Daikin, Fujitsu (Mitsu being the top dog) are the top 3 brands.
Yes, but probably not available to most people who want to go the DIY route. Other brands needed for that as these companies focus on professional installation / dealers / wholesalers.

Anyone out there with Goodman mini split experience to share?

My house in NC had an old reliable Trane heat pump. I believe it was original to the house which was built in 81. A bit over a year before I sold the house, the heat pump got a leak somewhere and needed to be replaced. I researched everything I could and ended up buying a Goodman. I won't go into details, but my research led me to believe that Goodman makes better HVAC units than most other's and is much more reasonably priced. Got a 2.5 ton 14 seer heat pump installed for $4k. No issues for the time I owned it and it worked very well.

Goodman 12,000 BTU 18 SEER2 Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner 550 sq. ft.​

Where in NC?

Yes, but probably not available to most people who want to go the DIY route. Other brands needed for that as these companies focus on professional installation / dealers / wholesalers.
These are available. Amazon, Walmart, acwholesaler and others sell'em. The warranties are no good to a diy'er except for Mr. Cool who seems to have a really good warranty. They don't care who installed it. How many hoops one might need to jump through in order to apply the warranty is another question and I'll read the fine print if I'm ready to pull the trigger on one.
Not too many reviews on the Goodman but it sounds good.
The Mr Cool doesn't have the best reviews and is more than double the Goodman.

This is my primary heat source. I've got a lifetime's worth of fuel for it. It kicks ass, but when it gets in the low 20's, even into the teens, it's just not enough to keep things comfortable in a 2,600 sq ft house. My first winter here, last year, we ran the heat strips a bit on the 3t and a couple times on the 1.5t upstairs. It's 1 1/2 stories with 27' vaulted ceilings, which hurts the downstairs in the winter but as a result the upstairs really only needs ac. The master bath is downstairs, in the far northern corner and with tile floor, so it radiates cold and is furthest from this heat source.
IMG_20231113_165441982.jpg

This came with the house IMG_20231113_165357575.jpg but it's got some problems IMG_20231129_163231385 (1).jpg which can be repaired, but according to some guys in the know, the water lines are very poorly insulated, thus this thing is a wood pig and I don't think it's worth all the effort to revive it which would include replacing the water lines.

I've read this entire thread. I still can't make up my mind.
This Goodman;
- is 230v and I happen to have a 2 pole breaker ready and waiting
- pre-charged, but I believe I'll still need to get the equipment for and learn how to do the lines
- isn't so expensive that if it had serious issues, I wouldn't feel too bad about introducing it to my KSG and relocating it to the burial site which the above mentioned wood boiler shall be relocated to.

Anyone out there interested in picking this Goodman apart? Tell me why it's a pos and what would be better?
I'm getting too the point that I might have too step back off this cliff as with all the moving parts these things have, they just look like flimsy little things compared to my central hvac system.

Goodman 12,000 BTU 18 SEER2 Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner 550 sq. ft.​

$819.00

Introducing the New Goodman E-Series 12000 BTU wall-mounted ductless mini-split heat pump air conditioner. The system features 11,000 BTUs of cooling power with a heating capacity of 11,300 BTUs, an impressive 18 SEER rating, and an outstanding HSPF of 9.0, efficiently covering up to 550 square feet. You can rely on its performance, backed by a 5-year manufacturer's warranty. This listing includes all the necessary installation components: the indoor wall mount fan coil, a Smart DC Inverter condenser pre-charged with R410A Refrigerant, a wireless remote controller with backlight, a complete Maxwell 1/4” x 3/8” – 16 Ft Installation Kit, and an outdoor bracket. The Goodman indoor unit features a stylish white design with sleek LED indicators and a touch of metallic silver for a modern aesthetic. We prioritize cleanliness, which is why the Goodman mini-split is equipped with a Titanium Apatite Deodorizing Filter, a Catechin Air Filter, and a Wipe-Clean Flat Panel to ensure a fresh indoor environment. Elevate your comfort with Goodman today!
Introducing The Goodman E-Series Mini-Split 12000 BTU:
  • Exceptional Efficiency: Experience 11,000 BTUs of cooling power (Min 4,400 BTU - Max 13,300 BTU), along with 11,300 BTUs of heating capacity (Min 4,400 BTU - Max 16,400 BTU), a high 18 SEER energy efficiency rating, and a 9.0 HSPF for efficient year-round climate control, all thanks to DC Inverter technology. Covers an area of up to 550 sq. ft.
  • All-Season Comfort: Operating effectively within a broad temperature range, it provides efficient cooling from 50°F to 114.8°F and reliable heating from 5°F to 64.4°F, ensuring suitability for diverse climates and surroundings.
  • Complete Package: This mini-split air conditioner package is thoughtfully designed for an effortless installation. It comes complete with all essential components, including the indoor fan coil, a pre-charged outdoor condensing unit, a wireless remote control with backlight, a Maxwell 1/4"x 3/8”- 16 ft. Installation Kit, and an outdoor wall mounting bracket.
  • Lifestyle Convenience: Enjoy convenient features, including an Indoor Unit On/Off Switch, a Luminous Button for dark settings, an Inverter Powerful Operation, ECO+ Function for efficient energy use, Sleep Mode for personalized comfort, Auto-Restart after power failure, self-diagnosis with digital display, and advanced air distribution options, along with maintenance-enhancing filters and easy-to-clean components.
  • 5-Year Manufacturer Warranty: Enjoy peace of mind with a generous 5-Year Limited Warranty. Must register with the manufacturer.
Upgrade your comfort with Goodman E-Series Mini-Splits, the reliable and efficient cooling solution with a warranty you can trust. Discover cooling convenience today!

info:
We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer

Specifications​

Features​

Indoor Unit On/Off Switch, Wireless Remote Controller with Luminous Button and Backlight, Inverter Powerful Operation, Eco+ Function, Sleep Mode, LED Display On/Off, Auto-Restart after Power Failure, Self-Diagnosis with Digital Display, Power-Airflow Flap, Wide- Angle Louvers, Vertical Auto-Swing (Up and Down)

Brand​

Goodman

Manufacturer Part Number​

RXNG12AXVJU + FTXNG12AXVJU + IKM1438F16-C17 + WAFP24

Model​

Volts​

230 V

Watts​

1294 W

Recommended Use​

Tiny houses, Home Offices, Greenhouses, Yoga studios, Living rooms, Vacations Homes, Music studios, Kitchens, Server Rooms, Multi-Unit Buildings, Dining rooms, Restauntants, Basements, Workshops, Home offices, Classrooms, Wine cellars, Hotels, Man caves, Single Room Cooling/Heating, Daycare centers, Mobile homes, Home bars, Home Additions, Retails Spaces, Bedrooms, Warehouses, Garage Workshops, Attics, Game rooms, Offices

Coverage Area​

550 sq ft

Warranty​

Warranty information​

5 Years Limited Manufacturer Warranty. The system must be installed by a licensed HVAC technician to correctly complete the product registration and to obtain the product warranty.

Last edited:
I can't give any feedback on the Goodman but I'm still a huge fan of my Pioneer I installed in this past spring.
Coldest temps have only been in the low 20s so far but it's had no trouble heating. The A/C performance is much better than heating but they were designed to cool primarily. It's definitely reduced my coal consumption significantly so far this winter.
There are multiple Pioneers that are more efficient than the Goodman for a bit more money. If you shop around you can get them a few hundred cheaper, especially if you catch one on a HD deal of the day.

This is my primary heat source. I've got a lifetime's worth of fuel for it. It kicks ass, but when it gets in the low 20's, even into the teens, it's just not enough to keep things comfortable in a 2,600 sq ft house. My first winter here, last year, we ran the heat strips a bit on the 3t and a couple times on the 1.5t upstairs. It's 1 1/2 stories with 27' vaulted ceilings, which hurts the downstairs in the winter but as a result the upstairs really only needs ac. The master bath is downstairs, in the far northern corner and with tile floor, so it radiates cold and is furthest from this heat source.
View attachment 181670

This came with the house View attachment 181672 but it's got some problems View attachment 181676 which can be repaired, but according to some guys in the know, the water lines are very poorly insulated, thus this thing is a wood pig and I don't think it's worth all the effort to revive it which would include replacing the water lines.

I've read this entire thread. I still can't make up my mind.
This Goodman;
- is 230v and I happen to have a 2 pole breaker ready and waiting
- pre-charged, but I believe I'll still need to get the equipment for and learn how to do the lines
- isn't so expensive that if it had serious issues, I wouldn't feel too bad about introducing it to my KSG and relocating it to the burial site which the above mentioned wood boiler shall be relocated to.

Anyone out there interested in picking this Goodman apart? Tell me why it's a pos and what would be better?
I'm getting too the point that I might have too step back off this cliff as with all the moving parts these things have, they just look like flimsy little things compared to my central hvac system.

$819.00

Introducing the New Goodman E-Series 12000 BTU wall-mounted ductless mini-split heat pump air conditioner. The system features 11,000 BTUs of cooling power with a heating capacity of 11,300 BTUs, an impressive 18 SEER rating, and an outstanding HSPF of 9.0, efficiently covering up to 550 square feet. You can rely on its performance, backed by a 5-year manufacturer's warranty. This listing includes all the necessary installation components: the indoor wall mount fan coil, a Smart DC Inverter condenser pre-charged with R410A Refrigerant, a wireless remote controller with backlight, a complete Maxwell 1/4” x 3/8” – 16 Ft Installation Kit, and an outdoor bracket. The Goodman indoor unit features a stylish white design with sleek LED indicators and a touch of metallic silver for a modern aesthetic. We prioritize cleanliness, which is why the Goodman mini-split is equipped with a Titanium Apatite Deodorizing Filter, a Catechin Air Filter, and a Wipe-Clean Flat Panel to ensure a fresh indoor environment. Elevate your comfort with Goodman today!
Introducing The Goodman E-Series Mini-Split 12000 BTU:
  • Exceptional Efficiency: Experience 11,000 BTUs of cooling power (Min 4,400 BTU - Max 13,300 BTU), along with 11,300 BTUs of heating capacity (Min 4,400 BTU - Max 16,400 BTU), a high 18 SEER energy efficiency rating, and a 9.0 HSPF for efficient year-round climate control, all thanks to DC Inverter technology. Covers an area of up to 550 sq. ft.
  • All-Season Comfort: Operating effectively within a broad temperature range, it provides efficient cooling from 50°F to 114.8°F and reliable heating from 5°F to 64.4°F, ensuring suitability for diverse climates and surroundings.
  • Complete Package: This mini-split air conditioner package is thoughtfully designed for an effortless installation. It comes complete with all essential components, including the indoor fan coil, a pre-charged outdoor condensing unit, a wireless remote control with backlight, a Maxwell 1/4"x 3/8”- 16 ft. Installation Kit, and an outdoor wall mounting bracket.
  • Lifestyle Convenience: Enjoy convenient features, including an Indoor Unit On/Off Switch, a Luminous Button for dark settings, an Inverter Powerful Operation, ECO+ Function for efficient energy use, Sleep Mode for personalized comfort, Auto-Restart after power failure, self-diagnosis with digital display, and advanced air distribution options, along with maintenance-enhancing filters and easy-to-clean components.
  • 5-Year Manufacturer Warranty: Enjoy peace of mind with a generous 5-Year Limited Warranty. Must register with the manufacturer.
Upgrade your comfort with Goodman E-Series Mini-Splits, the reliable and efficient cooling solution with a warranty you can trust. Discover cooling convenience today!

info:
We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer

Specifications​

Features​

Indoor Unit On/Off Switch, Wireless Remote Controller with Luminous Button and Backlight, Inverter Powerful Operation, Eco+ Function, Sleep Mode, LED Display On/Off, Auto-Restart after Power Failure, Self-Diagnosis with Digital Display, Power-Airflow Flap, Wide- Angle Louvers, Vertical Auto-Swing (Up and Down)

Brand​

Goodman

Manufacturer Part Number​

Model​

Volts​

230 V

Watts​

1294 W

Recommended Use​

Tiny houses, Home Offices, Greenhouses, Yoga studios, Living rooms, Vacations Homes, Music studios, Kitchens, Server Rooms, Multi-Unit Buildings, Dining rooms, Restauntants, Basements, Workshops, Home offices, Classrooms, Wine cellars, Hotels, Man caves, Single Room Cooling/Heating, Daycare centers, Mobile homes, Home bars, Home Additions, Retails Spaces, Bedrooms, Warehouses, Garage Workshops, Attics, Game rooms, Offices

Coverage Area​

550 sq ft

Warranty​

Warranty information​

5 Years Limited Manufacturer Warranty. The system must be installed by a licensed HVAC technician to correctly complete the product registration and to obtain the product warranty.
Don’t know the Goodman product but I was in analysis paralysis for about a month before I purchased the Senville Aura. In my opinion, unless you get a Daikin or Mitsubishi the rest are about the same. Just look at the heating capacity and the ambient temperature they work in and make sure it matches your location. I got the Aura model since it can heat to -22°F.

Last edited:
I did look at the Pioneer and also the Daikin. I've looked at most of'em. I'll install a wood burning stove in the master before I even think about dropping Mitsubishi money on this stuff.
The Daikin have some of the worst reviews I came across. I'm not sure how they've gotten a good rep and that's one of the things holding me back from getting the Goodman as Goodman's owned by Daikin.

I did look at the Pioneer and also the Daikin. I've looked at most of'em. I'll install a wood burning stove in the master before I even think about dropping Mitsubishi money on this stuff.
The Daikin have some of the worst reviews I came across. I'm not sure how they've gotten a good rep and that's one of the things holding me back from getting the Goodman as Goodman's owned by Daikin.
I have installed daiken for decades.
They have been the most reliable equipment. Very smooth install procedure, and solid performance.
Few electronic issues, and easy diagnostic.

This is the worst review I've found so far for any mini-split at 3.7 stars(!) and this one's on Amazon with 25 ratings for it, 26% of which are 1 star! I can't remember the last time I saw something on Amazon with less than 4 stars.

DAIKIN 12,000 BTU 17 SEER Wall-Mounted Inverter Ductless Mini-Split A/C Heat Pump System with Maxwell 16 ft Installation Kit and Wall Mounting Bracket 230V

I sent an email to this seller Heat and Cool TWICE about the Goodman unit (which they also sell) with no reply. They're gonna want to change their name to Broke and Bankrupt in the not too distant future. Moving on...

There are several more units, the one below it at 4 stars and the next couple at 4 1/2ish stars which is a typical rating for most of these mini splits.
Perhaps they're selling the rejects to the rubes online? I don't know, but to this rube, these look like stinkers.

Not to mention Daikin has parts availability just about anywhere!
In one way, that's great and in another, it might be an indicator of how one might expect their time will be spent during ownership of one of their products.
The units sold to the public must be different than what's sold to those in the biz or these reviewer's are full of shit.

I take reviews with a grain of salt. Real world is more important. I have never seen a DIY version of anything be better than the comercial version and if you find one that is it will be scooped by one of the giants.
DIY HVAC is a small market. I know there is all this just screw it together equipment. I'll let that flush out on its own in a few years. They couldn't keep refrigerant in them with R22 now with pressure nearing twice that I don't know how that will work.
Just be aware that all mechanical equipment fails, period. You will need parts and I want to know I can get parts.

Considering how close the part numbers are, I think either they are extremely ignorant or lying to you.
https://backend.daikincomfort.com/d...idential/submittal/ftxb12axvju-rxb12axvju.pdf
That's interesting. I called one time prior to today and spoke with warranty and a women told me the same thing the other 2 said today.
3 different ignorant or lazy people, each in a different department (homeowners, warranty & Daikin commercial) at Daikin/Goodman. They can keep it.

I think that's the 3.7 star rated Daikin unit as well. How odd that they'd sell the same or very similar unit under a name of a company that they purchased and undercut themselves by 50%.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back