diy solar

diy solar

What Mini-Split did you use, and Why?

Really testing out the heating capability of the Senville 24k Aura. Overnight it used an average of 2kw and outside low temp was 13 degrees but could not maintain heat set point of 60, about 5 degrees off. Still a win compared to electric baseboards that are still available for backup.

1701284809702.png

When ypu say, "could not maintain heat set point of 60", have you tried setting them a bit higher, say 65, to see if the actual room temp can stay at 60? With our mini-splits, we have to set the heating set point a few degrees higher than what we want the room temp to be, due in large part (I suspect) to the location of the mini-split temp sensors near the top of the indoor units. You'll use a bit more energy, of course, but I suspect those units would have no trouble heating a building with even moderate insulation to 60 degrees with an outdoor ambient temp of 13. They'll just require more energy to do it.

When ypu say, "could not maintain heat set point of 60", have you tried setting them a bit higher, say 65, to see if the actual room temp can stay at 60? With our mini-splits, we have to set the heating set point a few degrees higher than what we want the room temp to be, due in large part (I suspect) to the location of the mini-split temp sensors near the top of the indoor units. You'll use a bit more energy, of course, but I suspect those units would have no trouble heating a building with even moderate insulation to 60 degrees with an outdoor ambient temp of 13. They'll just require more energy to do it.
I did do a test and yes it will increase room temp with higher set point. We’re not at the cabin so keeping temps lower on purpose, just checking it remotely and adjusting with sensibo (at 5ft height ). I think it could maintain our normal winter setting when present of 68-69°

Overall very happy with it. This main floor which includes the loft and master bedroom and bath is about 1100 sqft. The lower level still needs a mini split which is about 900 sqft and currently heated only by electric baseboard. The main floor was my test before I put in a second on the lower level.

Temp regulation on HVAC is affected by airflow feedback to thermostat and amount of hysteresis range setup in thermostat. Thermostats should have a setup adjustment for hysteresis on setpoint. (the temp bracket of turn ON and turn OFF set points)

There is rarely a perfect situation for thermostat location. Tweaking the hysteresis setting can improve control for a given location. Wireless handheld thermostats that can be moved around will yield potluck for a given location of temp sensor until tweaked for given location.

Worst situation is output air of HVAC directly blowing on thermostat. Depends on air circulation around room and where the thermostat located relative to HVAC return and output air register location(s).

You also want to avoid direct air circulation feedback on HVAC unit. Mini-splits, window units, and portable units have poor spacing between outlet and return air resulting in some direct input to output air feedback, reducing unit efficiency. Placement of unit can make direct feedback circulation worse, like mounting a mini-split in the corner of room.

Really testing out the heating capability of the Senville 24k Aura. Overnight it used an average of 2kw and outside low temp was 13 degrees but could not maintain heat set point of 60, about 5 degrees off. Still a win compared to electric baseboards that are still available for backup.

View attachment 180307
What are you using to make this graph? Is this running off batteries or grid?

Lt. Dan, did you go with the Della? curious how it's doing on heat mode.
I did go with the 12k Della unit. I haven't really turned on the heat, because of other heat creating items in the garage, like the SolArk, the Nat Gas Water Heater, etc. I did turn it on as just a test, and it does pump out some really good heat. The only reason I turned it off is because as soon as the garage opens to drive the Tesla out, all the heat is lost. It seems like it definitely takes more power to heat than it does to cool, but that could just be the environment and location.

All in all, I'm still pretty happy. I've had it up for a while now and I haven't even cleaned the filter. I should probably do that...

What are you using to make this graph? Is this running off batteries or grid?
Running on grid, have wood stoves and fireplace if grid is down. All the data from openweathermap, sensibo, and emporia is ingested into Home Assistant. From there I use Grafana or basic home assistant dashboards.

Last edited:
Anyone out there with Goodman mini split experience to share?

My house in NC had an old reliable Trane heat pump. I believe it was original to the house which was built in 81. A bit over a year before I sold the house, the heat pump got a leak somewhere and needed to be replaced. I researched everything I could and ended up buying a Goodman. I won't go into details, but my research led me to believe that Goodman makes better HVAC units than most other's and is much more reasonably priced. Got a 2.5 ton 14 seer heat pump installed for $4k. No issues for the time I owned it and it worked very well.

Goodman 12,000 BTU 18 SEER2 Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner 550 sq. ft.​

Anyone out there with Goodman mini split experience to share?

My house in NC had an old reliable Trane heat pump. I believe it was original to the house which was built in 81. A bit over a year before I sold the house, the heat pump got a leak somewhere and needed to be replaced. I researched everything I could and ended up buying a Goodman. I won't go into details, but my research led me to believe that Goodman makes better HVAC units than most other's and is much more reasonably priced. Got a 2.5 ton 14 seer heat pump installed for $4k. No issues for the time I owned it and it worked very well.

Goodman 12,000 BTU 18 SEER2 Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner 550 sq. ft.​

My Goodman lasted 9 years and then compressor gave up the ghost....that led me to install two 24K EG4 direct from solar units....so far so good.

Im a goodman dealer, and am unaware of them making minisplits.
Daiken, the parent company of goodman make a fantastic robust line of minis...

Yes, the same thing in that they function the same way, but he's referring to a unit for the entire house like this, which is what I had.

How long have you had these EG4's?
Installed two at my house this spring when the Goodman central air heat pump cratered. Work great. Put a Senville in my bedroom because it only runs at night. It takes it 5 minutes to crank up for heat while the EG4's seem to start up and produce heat much, much quicker. Just go through putting two more EG4 24K's in my barn. Two may not be enough, but it will make a big difference I hope. The last EG4 almost stumped me. It would not power up. Turns out the positive mc4 connector was not pushed together ( the one inside the unit) got that fished out and connected, works like a charm now.

Back