diy solar

diy solar

what tools / equipment to buy?

ljwobker

So after a year of farting around watching youtube and lurking forums I've sort of decided to do a nerd project and see if I can progress through some combination of "hack an existing UPS for longer runtime where I don't have to replace stupid lead-acid batteries every year" and eventually end up with "a battery bank that would let me power a couple of KW worth of load for a few hours when we get a storm here". Solar isn't in the near term plan because the house here has no unshaded solar exposure, but this seems to be by far the best source of knowledgeable/helpful people...

At this point I'm basically trying to figure out how to "equip the shop" so to speak... I figure I'll need some tools and some basic equipment such as:
* chargers
* shunts
* BMSs?
* fuses
* crimpers

So I'll just throw this out, and let people suggest what sorts of stuff to get. I'm moderately handy and have an engineering background so I know just enough to get myself in trouble (see other threads for proof of that) but I'm also more than willing to ask for help and I'm fine with the concept of buying decent tools and equipment (assuming someone can help me figure out what that is...)

thanks!

Focus on the basic equipment to assemble that it is all compatible and adequate for what is needed.
Then grab any tools and supplies needed to assemble properly.

Inverter, Cells and BMS would be the place to start.

Get a hydraulic crimper from Amazon. The cheap ones are fine for home use.

Buy a 0-30VDC 10A and a 0-60VDC 5A power supply to top balance.

I using (8) 100A Overkill BMSs. I have no experience with any other units, but I would buy more of these units again.

T class fuses for batteries.

Before buying any parts for a system make sure you have a good plan and an understanding of its capabilities and limitations.

Come up with a way of drawing and sharing system diagrams that works for you and the people who are going to look at them for you. Needs to be able to include cable and fuse sizing.

a spreadsheet that helps calculate loads, battery capacity and charging is a key tool

Planning tools are the things most likely to help your learning, save you money and help you end up with a fit for purpose system.

A good clamp multimeter is a key tool and a worth while investment.

RULE #1: Do NOT buy ANYTHING until you have a solid idea and a plan to move forward !
Asses how much power you will "need" then what you "want" to have available.
Determine how much power reserve you want available for use.... 1/2 a day, or a day or two ? before charging is "required".
You can assume you will charge from Grid but what if there is no grid, do you need a Generator Option ?
! NOTE: There are Inverter/Chargers which have Grid AC Input _AND_ Genset AC Input if grid is not available. These have built-in Auto-Transfer-Switches and are programmable but more $$. See here for a Tier-1 product Example of such:
  • 1 Good Quality DMM/DVOM which is at least 2 decimal point accurate for DC Voltage.
  • 1 Hydraulic Crimper for battery cables, hammer crimpers are a PITA and not so good.
  • 1 Ratcheting Crimper for small wires down to 22ga. NB: I suggest using NON-INSULATED terminals & lugs and so the crimper needs to be for that type. It is better to use heatshrink wrap to seal the wires. SN-06 Model #
  • AVOID RENOGY Products !!! aka Run Ohhh Geeezzzzz
- Inverter/Charger is the best solution for changing batteries at proper voltages & settings.
-- Pure Sine Wave, Low Frequency (best for motors like fridge/ac etc)
-- programmable / configurable at least Mid Grade Quality, avoid the "Value Grade" Cheapo's

- A Benchtop Powersupply / Chargers are best for Top Balancing cells. Needs to be able to do 0-10 Volts and more amps the better (bigger the cells the more amps are needed). IE a 100AH cell can take up to 50A Charge Rate but 30-40A is quite good for charging them & topping them off.

- DOWNLOAD THIS RESOURCE (PDF) it will simplify your life a LOT

Once you get a better idea of what you want and how you think you can accomplish it, we can get into more specific answers to your questions and even make certain recommendations for equipment, tools & gear.

Maybe all you need is a little hobby system if you just want to learn how solar works without making a full "production" system.
Since your property has little reliable sun, an inexpensive proof-of-concept might be all you need at this point.
I'd skip the fancy tool collection for now, unless that's your true goal and solar is just a pretext.

So this is fantastic - one of my philosophies (thanks, Dad!) is "buy good tools and you'll never regret them" ... I guess this question in my head was more about "tools" in the sense of crimpers, power supplies, soldering irons, stuff like that... as opposed to any "active" components like the batteries or inverters or whatever. I guess another way to phrase the question would be "if I walked into someone's shop or garage who plays around with this stuff a lot, what would I find there?"

I guess another way to phrase the question would be "if I walked into someone's shop or garage who plays around with this stuff a lot, what would I find there?"
Hahaha well THAT would really depend, some of us have a lot of tools for such things and others not so much. Now I personally have quite a bit ~BUT~ almost 90% of the tools I use for my solar stuff is also used for other things and so its not a one shot use deal. I use Rule of 3 as a guide, everything I use / buy has to be able to be used for 3 different jobs. I only have a couple of "specialized" tools that have a sole purpose. Everyone is differet though.

For a simple one time build.... just as easy to order the cables premade.
Not sure how deep in the weeds this is headed. Maybe even buy a premade battery?

Back