diy solar

diy solar

What type of lithium battery can be charged below 32 degrees Fahrenheit?

fisherus

Somewhere I came across a post regarding some composition of batteries that included lithium that could be charged below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. I can't seem to locate where I saw it.
Does anyone know about this battery and where it can be purchased?

Lithium Titanate (LTO) batteries can be charged down to -50 C and have a very long lifecycle as well as high charge and discharge rates.

The drawback is they cost a bit more than lifepo and they are less dense per kw. So they take some more space.

However if you build your own pack the price is manageable. I am switching all my systems to LTO as my location is way below 0 Celcius in the winter.

Feel free to PM me for more info on getting some.

I don’t know much about other brands but I believe a battleborn battery shuts down charging at 24f but can still put out power.

You can find BMS that will cut off charger but I want to be able to charge below 32 degrees Fahrenheit just in case my heater goes out in the winter months I am gone as I run my security system and deep freeze when I am gone in the winter
Thanks for your reply!

I don’t know much about other brands but I believe a battleborn battery shuts down charging at 24f but can still put out power.

And BB has NEVER yet answered anyone as to why they say they can charge below 0C / 32F ... LFP is a chemical process -- at freezing - BAD things happen to the battery if you charge it ... YES TECHNICALLY i charge a LFP battery at 25F at 0.05C -- but it will take 24 hours to charge the battery ... EVERY SINGLE battery manufacturer that we have asked about LFP below zero has said NO -0- except BattleBorn that says they can but won't explain how its done .. to me that's a giant RED FLAG ...

You can find BMS that will cut off charger but I want to be able to charge below 32 degrees Fahrenheit just in case my heater goes out in the winter months I am gone as I run my security system and deep freeze when I am gone in the winter
Thanks for your reply!

You can discharge/use a LFP battery to about -5F BUT unless the LFP has some sort of method of staying warm -- once the LFP temp drops below 0C you will damage the battery ...

In terms of raw cells, LiFeYPO apparently do better in the cold than LiFePO4, but I think only marginally so. Winston / Thundersky is the brand to look for.

OK Everyone,
I purchased 25 LTO batteries that came out of a 2014 Honda Fit. Currently balancing the cells in each 24 cell battery. The top per cell is 2.7V but, because I am using a Sol-Ark 12K that has a maximum 63V input I am going to be using 60V @ 2.5V per cell for nominal and 48V@2.0V for minimal cut-off. I am thinking that this configuration will keep the batteries in their "Sweet Zone ". I had to go to the LTO batteries due to not being able to insulate batteries from freezing temperatures on my off-grid farm. Has anyone else used a similar application with LTO batteries? I would be very interested in hearing from you about how they are working out for you.

Attachments

• 15847300763492950911817444253756.jpg
    15847300763492950911817444253756.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8
Mine work well so far the only thing is the 2.0 cutoff may be too high as there is a lot of energy in the 1.9-2.0 range from one test i just looked up it was 27% of the batteries capacity. 1.95 may be better but having 25% in reserve probably isn't a bad thing.

Back