diy solar

diy solar

What would your next charge controller be?

I really like the Q-Cells as their performance in cloud & shade is quite good in comparison to many others.
I do like the Q-Cells. I have just had them around 3 weeks.

I have the Q-Cells and on the shortest overcast day of the year, they produced slightly above their panel wattage in kWh, which I was happy with.

9.6 kW of Q-Cells produced at least 10 kWh on a cloudy day. On a sunny day at the shortest days of the yer at the end of December, they produced 36 kWh.

The Quick VOC fix...
When setting up the arrays, your Victron 250/100 will take a max of 250V and does not have a HyperVOC capability so you have to do it manually... Take the 250V number & subtract the Batt Nominal Voltage to allow for Cold Temp increased production.
A 24V system - 250V - 25.6V = 224.4V allowable array max voltage This should not cross 250V unless there is the rare exceptional moment and the SCC will throttle that because it will be minimal.

That is one feature I really like with Midnite SCC's, HyperVOC management is built in and controlled.

I do like the Q-Cells. I have just had them around 3 weeks.

I have the Q-Cells and on the shortest overcast day of the year, they produced slightly above their panel wattage in kWh, which I was happy with.

9.6 kW of Q-Cells produced at least 10 kWh on a cloudy day. On a sunny day at the shortest days of the yer at the end of December, they produced 36 kWh.
The Q's are really good, far better than other brands for cloud/shade, there are others that are even better for shade/cloud but next to impossible to get as they are all going to Solar Farms... I got a chance to see the latest Q's arrive just off the truck... BIG ! Ohhhh did I ever get some ideas ! Luckily my Safety/Sanity check kicked in and I just brought back what I needed... Ohhh I could so get carried away LOL....

I run with Midnite Classics:
The Classic 150V model provides 94A Charge to 24V Bank, using 6x Q-Cell 395's in 2s3p (2,370W)
The Classic 200V model provides 79A Charge to 24V Bank, using 8x Candian Solar CS260P's in 4s2p (2,080W)
They work amazingly well, paralleled together and manageable (with their software).

IF I was to replace these, I'd use Victron.
I certainly would NOT go with those High Voltage (Massive array) controllers, when you consider 200-250V SCC's and the amps they can deliver versus those 600V (large array) systems that deliver less amps... 60-70 per scc in an AIO for example... Far better to generate more Charging Amps with less panels... or use more SCC's with same large array & get ALL the juice you can.

Some will want to argue that BUT do the damned math ! Thse 600V+ SCC's are designed for lots of panel at more $$ Cost at the tail end of "assembled & running cost". Sometimes the Too Obvious is completely missed.

An example, I just did an emergency rescue solar install. Small setup using a Midnite Kidd SCC. For the KIDD (150V SCC), we used 2x Q-Cell 405's (max input for a Kidd). Note the KIDD is a premium SCC because of the extra features, functions & capabilities but can only deliver 30A Charging. A Similar 150V - Victron would be cheaper & deliver more Amps for charging but still be "Panel Frugal".
Hi Steve,

I read you post and am trying to figure out which controllers you are advising we stay away from. The 450/100 or 450/200? I’m not following your point. Could you dumb it down? thanks

Hi Steve,

I read you post and am trying to figure out which controllers you are advising we stay away from. The 450/100 or 450/200? I’m not following your point. Could you dumb it down? thanks
I did not say to stay away from any controller.
I was pointing out that a 200V or 250V Scc does not need so much panel and still provide very respectable change amperage.

Back