diy solar

diy solar

Whats going on with Renogy?

I finally got thru (after calling and waiting on the phone for over 30 minutes) to Renogy and they DO NOT crossship ever. Horrible customer service! Do not recommend this vendor.

Edit: After mentioning this post (and Will's channel) they are now looking into the cross shipping option. SMH.

Comments above led me to pay $4/panel more to buy the version “shipped by Amazon “ instead of shipped by “Renogy “

I have never had an issue returning anything damaged or not as advertised back to Amazon as long as it was shipped by them. Tested panel right away, works fine.

I have gotten burnt in past buying from third parties and there is enough red flags to avoid not having Amazon to fall back on.

Thanks for comments above and avoiding a problem.

The unit is about 13 months old (on a 24 month warranty). So returning to Amazon (where I purchased) is no longer an option :(

I just want vendors with decent products, good prices, and ok customer service when things go wrong. That seems like a unicorn in the off grid market.

Buying Renogy thru Amazon only offers a 30 day window that Amazon covers. After that your at the mercy of Renogy and it’s clear how that will turn out. ?

Everyone is short on staff, working remote. products not shipping today and in the near term.
Get used to it. Get in line, take your vaccine shot and wait.
Try working in the Flooring industry, 2 to 3 months delay for product, and cannot even guarentee that delay.
Renogy is probly working with a skeliton crew. Nobody wants to go back to work while making the same to sit home and watch TV.

Everyone is short on staff, working remote. products not shipping today and in the near term.
Get used to it. Get in line, take your vaccine shot and wait.
Try working in the Flooring industry, 2 to 3 months delay for product, and cannot even guarentee that delay.
Renogy is probly working with a skeliton crew. Nobody wants to go back to work while making the same to sit home and watch TV.
Yep times are tough right now but there is absolutely no excuse for ANY company to be giving so many different excuses, no responses or straight out lies on what the problem is they are having.

Pretty clear Renogy is plummeting into
The lousy dishonest CS pit that more than one company has come to reside in. ✌️

Personally I would not use their products. A company I went to work at used them, the failure rate was high, customer service abysmal, and certain design characteristics maddenning. They left a few customers who had massive failures due to bad product out in the wind, refused to honor a warranty, told them to ship it all back at their expense (including 600lbs of batteries) with only the comment of we’ll look at it and get back to you, bit most likely it won’t be warranty. I had To step in and deal with them to cover it, including recording conversations with their tech people and threatening to post it on our website To resolve. Some people get lucky, get decent products and it works for them. Your results may vary...

I moved to different product lines, problems vanished, customers were happy.

my .02

one year in to Covid, under staffing is no excuse for failing to reply to multiple emails over almost 3 weeks. Seriously, if you can't reply to an support email in 3 weeks you shouldn't be in business.

Then when I waited on hold, they gave me the run around and were refusing the replace the unit. No covid excuse there - just trying to not honor their warranty. ONLY when I mentioned that I would post about this on this board did they cross ship a unit. Even then they wanted a video of the intermittent failure - in addition to the photo I already provided. If I had it to do over, I'd have saved up for the victron charge controller.

I had no luck buying direct from Renogy, which is a shame because they do have good solar panels. It turned out that I had much better luck buying from one of their distributors (Home Depot, in this case) and got my panels several days early after a 2+ month fiasco buying direct from Renogy through their Amazon portal.

As with anything else, the company you deal with is more important than anything else in customer satisfaction. Renogy just doesn’t care about the individual buyer/user, but they do get their products to their bigger dealers. I was going to bypass them on principal, but it was cutting off my nose to spite my face... I found a better way.

Their 300 watt panels kick butt, btw. Once you actually get them, I mean! ?

Important notes from the Renogy support policy:

"Returns must include all parts and accessories that were shipped at the time of purchase. Any parts or accessories not included in your return will have their replacement cost deducted from any refund, or we may remove duplicate accessories from replacement shipments.

Please keep in mind that if after testing the item being returned is not deemed defective, the buyer is responsible to pay the return shipping cost. We do not offer expedited shipping under any circumstances. The Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) is only valid for 15 days. If you require additional time, be sure to contact our customer service team so we can work to accommodate your needs."

Wow, so they are trying to cut losses from the tidal wave of returned merch. reputable manufacturers don’t have that return rate issue. when there is a problem, they handle it.

I had to return a Midnite classic 150 once, ended up talking with the owner and engineers. In the end it wasn’t even their product that failed but an ancillary part.

Nothing but respect and many future purchases came from that.

I wanted to follow up and say that I recieved the (brand new?) replacement unit from Renogy today. I've got to wire it up of course to confirm that it works and return the old unit. I'll let you know how that goes as well.

I wanted to follow up and say that I recieved the (brand new?) replacement unit from Renogy today. I've got to wire it up of course to confirm that it works and return the old unit. I'll let you know how that goes as well.
Hope your unit works out fine. I have six of their 100w panels. Four of them for six years. Not the first problem yet.

So the new unit has been installed and working fine. I did notice the new unit (same hardware model) had a different software version than the old. Not sure what they fixed but my screen issue seemed to be a software problem as it would be hard to replicate but the display was physically fine.

They sent a pre-paid label and I used that and the box they sent to send back the defective unit. TLDR here is call them and talk to the CSR about your issue. The web ticket alone WILL NOT get a timely response.

Back