diy solar

diy solar

What's the best solar-related item you bought in 2023?

Oh I completely forgot to add that one of my best purchases this year was a MrCool mini-split. I have it running off solar/batteries. So when some idiot doing donuts wipes out the electrical box down the street and cuts off electricity for the entire block for 3 days during 115F (46C) weather in Las Vegas, I'll still have some cooling in the house. Yep, that's happened twice before.

When you get 20kWh, you'll want 40kWh, and then...

I started with 10, now I have 30. But I want 60. After that I'll have to move the cars out of the garage and fill it up with all batteries.
If you give a mouse a cookie.....

A light-hearted thread for Christmas time...

As the title says... what's the best thing / what do you love the most that you bought this year. Either directly solar or a solar related tool, component etc...

I'll kick it off to say I love my new Raspberry Pi 5... amazingly powerful yet so small and power efficient. Lucky to get one as they're very limited supply over here. It will be put to good use for to handle some inverter RS485 comms in due course - once this old dog has learnt some new tricks, that is ;) ?‍?
I have been building my solar system using my shop as a test bed for 4 years now. I just purchased a 40 acre inholding in a national forest, on a river and is 3 miles from the nearest power pole. Fully wooded and about to get the septic and well dug. Clearing 4 acres for solar and cottage. This property has a 25 foot drop waterfall! Im so excited to just go offgrid and give my finger to society, because I'm done. It has gotten stupid.

So, my purchase is to put all my solar preparation (which I learned from Will) into use!!!!

Worst because it taught me exactly how far 5kWh of battery will go after sunset, and now I wish I had at least 15-20kWh.
Yup started with 5kWh server rack, then two.
expanded loads and PV,
10kWh went to 25kWh..then 40, now 68...and cells for 31kWh more coming...expanded the space in the ESS to go to 114kWh...gotta dream...and save nickels. (no pennies in Canada now). :unsure:

I bought me a frigerator.

Check out the current sippage.

I bought me a frigerator.

Check out the current sippage.

Looks great, and not Made in China (y)

I did several upgrades this year but I think my favorite thing was a stack of pressure treated 2x4s. I used those to build new panel racks so I could relocate them from the front of the cabin to the roof of a nearby shed. That cleaned up the look of the property by a lot and the panels perform well in their new spot.

I read somewhere (here??) that the chemical in PT lumber damages aluminum frames (of solar panels). Not true?

I use untreated wood and coat it with oil based paint.

I read somewhere (here??) that the chemical in PT lumber damages aluminum frames (of solar panels). Not true?

I use untreated wood and coat it with oil based paint.

Would definitely be interested in know if this is true or not as I may be going the 'wood' direction for my ground mount...

Would definitely be interested in know if this is true or not as I may be going the 'wood' direction for my ground mount...
When the switch started, I was informed to move to stainless fasteners. CCA might not be as bad but ACQ and CA are definitely troublesome.

You can install plastic or rubber insulating material at points of contact.

It does damage the aluminium frame. One of the components of the pressure treatment is copper. Copper and aluminium together cause galvanic corrosion when electrically in contact and in the presence of an electrolyte (moisture). It's in principle the same issue as using copper bus bars on aluminium battery cell terminals.

I have a collection of Fluke meters, been using them for years and just take for granted they'll alway work.
Probably the best thing I added this year is Solar Assistant. That and another 32 EVE 230ah cells ?

When you get 20kWh, you'll want 40kWh, and then...

I started with 10, now I have 30. But I want 60. After that I'll have to move the cars out of the garage and fill it up with all batteries.
I have a 42U server rack cabinet from an old job sat right next to the solar equipment. It's filled with 20 years worth of old computer hardware (never know when you'll need that IDE cable! ;)) but it would look great filled to the top with batteries.

Yup started with 5kWh server rack, then two.
expanded loads and PV,
10kWh went to 25kWh..then 40, now 68...and cells for 31kWh more coming...expanded the space in the ESS to go to 114kWh...gotta dream...and save nickels. (no pennies in Canada now). :unsure:

That sounds great! Biggest problem I have is that my property is badly shaded by a neighbor's 100ft high tree, making it really hard to fully charge even the 5kWh battery at this time of year. Currently getting about 4kWh total for a day. I guess an AC charger would be good with lots of batteries for those outages.

Maybe Santa will bring an EG4 Chargeverter.

I have a 42U server rack cabinet from an old job sat right next to the solar equipment. It's filled with 20 years worth of old computer hardware (never know when you'll need that IDE cable! ;)) but it would look great filled to the top with batteries.
what ever you do, put wheel casters on FIRST!:p

Back