diy solar

diy solar

What's the reason behind using 240V inverters with transformers when they have split phase ones?

Ok I am completely new to this and trying to learn what is correct and safe but also the least expensive. With that being said, I saw a YT video where someone had a 240v LV6548 and said he used a stepdown transformer to use his system as a one phase 110v system. Would this be acceptable as a safe solution if it is only for 110v AC items?

Ok I am completely new to this and trying to learn what is correct and safe but also the least expensive. With that being said, I saw a YT video where someone had a 240v LV6548 and said he used a stepdown transformer to use his system as a one phase 110v system. Would this be acceptable as a safe solution if it is only for 110v AC items?
If you will only need 120v. Keep it simple and buy a 120v unit.

The LV6548 is 120V output. No need for a stepdown.

Perhaps it is a different inverter? Do you have a link?

Cost is the reason.
Exactly. Take this example:

Sol-Ark 15K = $8,500.00 (+/-) Split Phase 120/2401673722913352.png

Deye 16K = $3,500.00 (+/-) Single Phase 240 x 2 = $7,000.00 (+/-)1673722942113.png

50KVA Transformer = $2,300.00 (+/-) 1 - Phase 240/480 to 120/240

So...with the price of 1 Sol-Ark 15k + $1,000.00 extra (+/-), you can get double the power plus a transformer suitable for your needs with Deye.

A 50kva transformer is huge.
Probably way overkill for most people's needs.
I'm installing a 37.5kva, and it is more than I would ever need. 15kva would probably be plenty for most people. Just have to calculate your 120v loads. And put them in a separate panel, fed by the transformer.

A 50kva transformer is huge.
Probably way overkill for most people's needs.
I'm installing a 37.5kva, and it is more than I would ever need. 15kva would probably be plenty for most people. Just have to calculate your 120v loads. And put them in a separate panel, fed by the transformer.
I agree, just putting a comparison based on price and today's inflation, what is the most you can get for your money.

That’s a pretty typical application of the ‘230v single phase inverter with autotransformer to create 120/240 split phase’ idea..

The transformer does not really care what the source is, so it doesnt have to be that inverter or any other particular inverter.. any inverter that can make a 240v 60hz output can have an autotransformer create a 120v circuit from it.

That is not a LV6548 but is a 5048. The 5048 is 240V and would need a transformer to make 120V.

Regarding the LV6548, it requires 2 LV6548's to make 240V, one for each hot leg.

I noticed you mentioned price in the original post I quoted. Before spending any money, please research the various inverters out there. Make a decision based upon what you intend to run and whether you need just 240V, or will need 120V/240V. Price is a secondary consideration, not always the best choice. As you learn more and find your needs change, you might have to start all over with a completely new system which is really a waste of money and resources.

That is not a LV6548 but is a 5048. The 5048 is 240V and would need a transformer to make 120V.

Regarding the LV6548, it requires 2 LV6548's to make 240V, one for each hot leg.

I noticed you mentioned price in the original post I quoted. Before spending any money, please research the various inverters out there. Make a decision based upon what you intend to run and whether you need just 240V, or will need 120V/240V. Price is a secondary consideration, not always the best choice. As you learn more and find your needs change, you might have to start all over with a completely new system which is really a waste of money and resources.
Thank you, basically I just need 120v right now so I was thinking about the 240v inverter with transformer to make 120v because the inverter that I like doesn't have a 120v version.

To me the best thing about using a secondary transformer, rather than 2 inverters or a tier 2 split phase inverter, is the single leg surge capacity. even growatts lf inverters trip if 1 leg exceeds 1/2 the rated output of the inverter. This isn't as much of a problem with Schneider, my conext 4024 will start my high surge motors just fine, but my gw 6000t won't neither will my mppt lv5048 (no surprise there it's 2x 2500w inverters in one case), using a properly wired transformer would allow me to utilize the full output of the inverter on either leg of 120v. I have been offgrid over 20 years and have used almost every brand/flavor of inverter/ solar equipment. I would suggest following Ian's advice and using an isolating transformer, they can be had relatively reasonably used from ebay all across America but shipping gets expensive, so it's best to find one close to your home or go in with some neighbors and order several (I'm having 5 7.5kva transformers delivered this week shipping for 1=380ish shipping for 5=500) Another advantage of using transformers is the ability to have multiple power formats in one system, not that important to the average home gamer, but that's my intention with the ones I have incoming. I have a 3phase shop system with 3 5048mkx's shacked into a 240x415 3phase system, and I'm going to derive 230/115 split off 2 legs with an hs5f7.5ascu isolation transformer enabling ng bonding of both systems. mainly because I'm tired of not being able to turn on high surge 110v motors, but also because it will give me better noise isolation between my inverters and my high frequency plasma cutter. Up to now my 120/240 shop power has been separately derived from my lv5048. Another advantage that I have seen is that mppt 240v inverters seem to run MUCH more efficiently (no load draw) than their 120v inverters. my 3 5000w 240's have half the draw of my one lv5048. total efficiency remains to be seen visavis the hs5f7.5ascu transformer no load draw. I'll update once I have it up and running.

100% agree.
The only way to get multiple voltages from an inverter system. Is either a transformer or multiple inverters.
The issue with multiple inverters is that each one has its individual limit. I prefer to have full rated output available at all times. No matter what voltage a load is connected to.

I have yet to trip a Growatt 6000t or a pair of SP6548.
Harbor freight 110v 15a dust collector, (massive startup load) is one of my test loads when setting up a client's new system, the 6000t would only start it about 10% of the time on either leg.

I cant remember if this is the thread i mentioned this in but when ive done shady AC shenanigans like running large 120v loads off of 100ft extension cords and the like.. ive been known to give the motors a ‘running start’ by hand-spinning the thing before hitting the switch to get them over the hump. ??

Most recently i had to hand spin the barrel/hopper of a small cement mixer to get it to run on the little 700w inverter generator i used to have. Same thing with angle grinders and circular saws on that gen.. had to pulse the trigger to get the things spun up a bit without staying in ‘overload’ long enough to fault out the inverter. Once spun up they could handle quite a bit of load without lighting the little red warning light. I justh had to remember to face the generator towards me if i wanted top push the tools hard so i could see the red light. ?

Some of yall may know one of my dirty little offgrid secrets is that i run the 120v side of my small house off a TRAVEL CONVERTER which is really a small autotransformer. The one i use was a bit over $100 and rated ‘5000 watts’ which is almost totally bs because of cooling.. it is maybe 1500w continuous without overheating. So of course i hardwired in and out of it and implemented a fan cooling system with a temp controller for a grand total of about $20. I usually run no more than 3000w through it and it doesnt exceed 50c with just ~50mm pc case fans on it. Ive had no real reason to spend $400+ on a ‘real’ fit for purpose autotransformer as of yet. If i didnt still have a couple of 120v ac window units in use id have very little 120v load. I may upgrade it at some point but unless the house gets bigger or i become a good enough cook to keep up with all 4 stove burners without ruining dinner, there’s just no apparent need right now. ?‍♂️ Clearly this is not pertinent info for anyone who needs their system to be passed off by some form of inspector or other. ?

Back