diy solar

diy solar

when or why to turn off battery?

johnfox

hi guy's
I bought and installed an EPOCH 36v 100ah battery for my golf cart, it has an on and off button, when would I need to turn off the battery?
I did a search but didn't find an answer.
will use cart daily mostly so I'm thinking I don't need to turn off the battery daily but what about the times when it would be unused for several days, turn off or just leave it on?

Turn it off if it's not on a charger, there will likely be a slight parasitic drain otherwise.

From what? Unless the golf cart has a clock, always on battery meter, or something there should be no drain unless the key is on. In any case, I doubt any drain would be significant enough to offset the hassle of having to remember to flip yet another switch every time one wants to use the cart.

May also turn off the BMS.
I assume that is exactly what it is doing, otherwise you would need a very hefty switch. But other than turning it off for battery replacement as you noted, I see no practical reason to turn it off.

hi guy's
I bought and installed an EPOCH 36v 100ah battery for my golf cart, it has an on and off button, when would I need to turn off the battery?
I did a search but didn't find an answer.
will use cart daily mostly so I'm thinking I don't need to turn off the battery daily but what about the times when it would be unused for several days, turn off or just leave it on?
How's it working in your cart? I've got a 36v EZGO cart that needs the batteries replaced and have been thinking about going with something like this.

E T C,
not much to report yet it's still an uncompleted work in progress.
I can say dropping 300 lbs from the cart weight is an eye opener.
still working out my charging system. I have been using a small solar system [300 watts] to charge my older lead system, that I have reprogrammed for lifepo4 and it works very well but slow.
I have a lester summit 2 charger that would charge at a rate 3-4 times faster but so far I haven't been able to get it working properly?
I will submit another thread later about the charging rate.
but overall I think I will be happy with the EPOCH battery. and lithium in general!

E T C,
not much to report yet it's still an uncompleted work in progress.
I can say dropping 300 lbs from the cart weight is an eye opener.
still working out my charging system. I have been using a small solar system [300 watts] to charge my older lead system, that I have reprogrammed for lifepo4 and it works very well but slow.
I have a lester summit 2 charger that would charge at a rate 3-4 times faster but so far I haven't been able to get it working properly?
I will submit another thread later about the charging rate.
but overall I think I will be happy with the EPOCH battery. and lithium in general!
Thanks. Looking forward to hearing how it does. Are you changing anything else out on the battery system in the cart? Motor controller?

Switches can wear out with heavy use. In this application, the small possible loss of energy seems not worth it. If the battery will not be used for a long time, you could.

E T C
the EPOCH battery is the only thing being charged by the solar. like I said it's a small 300 watt system [three 100 watt panels in series] that I had been using to charge my cart when it had lead batteries in it.
the only difference now is with the 6-6v batteries to get 12v for lights the wiring tapped two of the batteries for the 12v with the 36v lithium battery a separate 36 to 12 volt reducer is used.
as it is now I have the tail lights working but need to replace the front lights in the future.
I don't need lights now so they are on the back burner.

Back