diy solar

diy solar

Which all in one system has the fewest software issues?

I understand. I guess my hope would be if I bought a good quality product I wouldn’t run into future bugs. Ie. The bugs would have been worked out before they shipped the product.
Right...
This is why 10 year old Tesla's still receive updates..
Or my wife's 2014 vw gets new software every service.

You're living an illusion my friend

No issues here with my SP 6548 from Sungold Power when it comes to the inverter and batteries. No firmware updates needed. The only thing I don't like is the monitoring software they suggest. I use Multisibcontrol which is much better and free as well. The only thing you need is the two cables to go to the computer, one from the inverter and the other from battery 1.

T
Victron does not have an AIO unit. It has separate components so you can build it and expand it how you want. - it also costs more.

But they do a very good job with software updates!!! And it just works.
To put together a Victron system of MPPT, distributor, shunt, 6kva inverter for off grid, cost me approx $9k AUD. For 1.5k I can get a mpp solar AIO 6kva.

I also had a Victron mppt blow up causing a fire. I do believe Victron is bloody good stuff, but it too has it's problems and failures. Just saying.

T

To put together a Victron system of MPPT, distributor, shunt, 6kva inverter for off grid, cost me approx $9k AUD. For 1.5k I can get a mpp solar AIO 6kva.

I also had a Victron mppt blow up causing a fire. I do believe Victron is bloody good stuff, but it too has it's problems and failures. Just saying.
What caused the MPPT to blow up may I ask... ?

T

If your AIO works out of the box, is there a reason to do a firmware update? I don’t plan on connecting my system to the Internet.
No. I asked SRNE about updating my ASF to the latest version and they said there was no reason to if everything was working. My wifi dongle is still in the box somewhere... AIO has never phoned home.
I've been 100% fine with minimal adjustments through SA and all through the LCD, nearly 2 MWh with 0 major issues.

My basement has plenty of concrete walls I could use as dump loads, to bad they are already poured.

Sorry if this was shared already.

An interesting somewhat on topic article.

What caused the MPPT to blow up may I ask... ?
Don't know. Victron are not interested in communicating, and the supplier gave me a new one, but offered no explanations. And it has been confirmed it was not bad connections, ventilation, incorrect PV input etc. The concenscus is "something internal shorted" which after 7 yrs service was a bit of a shock.

My basement has plenty of concrete walls I could use as dump loads, to bad they are already poured.

Sorry if this was shared already.

An interesting somewhat on topic article.

Well you probably still can, at least thermal storage in the winter. Not sure what part of PA you are in, but it is probably cold enough that some extra heat would be appreciated most of the time in that season. If your basement walls have insulation outside and bare concrete inside it would likely work, to some degree at least. And if it is only being done when your batteries are full and more solar coming in that the loads require, it would be power that you'd be loosing anyhow...

Well you probably still can, at least thermal storage in the winter. Not sure what part of PA you are in, but it is probably cold enough that some extra heat would be appreciated most of the time in that season. If your basement walls have insulation outside and bare concrete inside it would likely work, to some degree at least. And if it is only being done when your batteries are full and more solar coming in that the loads require, it would be power that you'd be loosing anyhow...
It crossed my mind. My batteries don't see full enough to make it worthwhile but definitely something I'll consider for the next build. I'll definitely have pex loops in the garage and basement floor.
I currently have a coal stove burning in the basement on a low idle to keep the batteries warm. I'll likely throw another minisplit up in the basement before I tinker with heating foundations or bricks.

Don't know. Victron are not interested in communicating, and the supplier gave me a new one, but offered no explanations. And it has been confirmed it was not bad connections, ventilation, incorrect PV input etc. The concenscus is "something internal shorted" which after 7 yrs service was a bit of a shock.
Which MPPT model?

Right...
This is why 10 year old Tesla's still receive updates..
Or my wife's 2014 vw gets new software every service.

You're living an illusion my friend

There's a difference between software and firmware. Tesla tends to blend the distinction (dangerously so, IMO, based on such as this), but I've never had a car that (that I know of) that received an update to the control firmware. At least until my Kia Niro EV received an update to fix brake light issue, which was not just a routine update.

The firmware in an inverter is controlling many kW of power and 10s of kW of battery, and voltage/current that can kill if switched on at the wrong place and wrong time. It should be well tested and stable prior to release.

In the computer world, many follow what could be called the 'minor release' rule.

If a major release, say, 2.0 comes out, those who follow this rule will not update software/firmware from say 1.9 until 2.1 is available. The first minor release often fixes newly found problems in the major release. Harder to do when you don't know the vendor's release cycle, numbering, etc,. but perhaps worth a shot.

As an example, with Microsoft Windows, you may not want to use Windows X until at least Service Pack 1 for X is available...

Last edited:
There's a difference between software and firmware. Tesla tends to blend the distinction (dangerously so, IMO, based on such as this), but I've never had a car that (that I know of) that received an update to the control firmware. At least until my Kia Niro EV received an update to fix brake light issue, which was not just a routine update.

The firmware in an inverter is controlling many kW of power and 10s of kW of battery, and voltage/current that can kill if switched on at the wrong place and wrong time. It should be well tested and stable prior to release.
In computing, firmware is a specific class of computer software that provides the low-level control for a device's specific hardware

Firmware = embedded software

I guess you haven't ever had a vw /Audi/Skoda then :)

The difference between firmware and non-firmware is getting muddier.

For example, with Victron, they freely provide a Linux Operating system called VenusOS, which allows you to use a Raspberry Pi as a CerboGX, in lieu of buying a Cerbo. The menus in VenusOS call it firmware.

I would not call an Operating system 'firmware', there is no 'special procedure' to update it and I can modify the OS after install.

I would consider the BMS on an EG4 LL battery to be firmware. There is a special procedure and cable to update, and I cannot modify it after install beyond the provided screen interface.

Last edited:
Back