diy solar

diy solar

Which all in one system has the fewest software issues?

Runik

Seems like software /communication problems give most solar users the biggest headaches. I'm just starting out building a small off-grid system and am wondering what I can do at the start to avoid these issues as much as possible? I was looking at the EG4 6oooXP with either (3) LifePower 4 batteries or (1) 48V 280AH / 14.3 kw battery.
From what I've seen on YouTube, even the older simpler systems software are giving their owners headaches.
Would it be a good idea to wait a few months to see if these relatively new products develop any major issues?

EG4 6oooXP
The number on them is the wattage, in this case 6000
Building stuff yourself makes it far easier to troubleshoot later. Buying all pre-made and troubleshooting it makes you have to learn the ins and outs enough to build it anyway.
Only things that are "just working" are pretty much victron, not sure if they even have an all in one

I am in the same boat, I seems like not only solar AIO systems have firmware issues but everything else made today like cars, appliances, and all computers. I currently have a 12v system with 2 charge controllers one 2000w inverter and 2 200ah batteries. It all works without any connection to internet. I would like to step up to 48v with the new 6000xp. I think I will wait it out till the shit hits the fan. It seems like all of the newer AIO’s are obsolete in two years. I am thinking instead getting 2 Victron cc, Samplex inverter and a SOK rack battery without communication . Just keep it simple.
if the internet goes down who knows it could brick all systems that connect I think we are headed for some strange times very soon

Victron does not have an AIO unit. It has separate components so you can build it and expand it how you want. - it also costs more.

But they do a very good job with software updates!!! And it just works.

Vitron EasySolar​

All-in-one solar power solution​

The EasySolar combines a MPPT Solar Charge Controller, an inverter/charger and AC distribution in one enclosure. The product is easy to install, with a minimum of wiring.
Models:1600VA

That is their ONLY AIO at this time & it is limited.
----------------------------
The big difference is Corporate Support Lifecycle. A Tier-1 company like Victron, Schneider etc have been around a longtime and have continual support for their products. Products made for VAR's (Value Added Resellers) such as EG4 must be supported by their vendors (outside of the OEM manufacturer). Even the Midnite Solar DIY series is supported by Midnite, NOT SRNE who makes them on contract.

To "Hedge Your Bet" sticking to Top Tier products provides some assurance for ongoing support & maintainability but of course that comes at a price.

Thanks guys. Victron and Schneider seem to have less software issues according to the videos I've watched. Guess I'll have to revise my plans.

The benefit of field upgradable firmware is that you can fix bugs after delivery. The problem with field upgradable firmware is that you can fix bugs after delivery. The easier it is to fix problems after delivery, the more tempting it is to just ship a product and let the users test it.

In any case, I would add SolArk to the list of considerations as well if you're willing to raise your price cap.

Signature Solar Info from BBB: They are JUST a Reseller VAR.
Years in Business: 3
Business Started: 9/29/2020
Business Started Locally: 9/29/2020
Business Incorporated: 9/29/2020
Accredited Since: 4/4/2022
Type of Entity: Limited Liability Company (LLC)
Alternate Business Name: Signature Solar Limited Liability Company

This will likely never end totally with all the new technology happening rapidly.
If you don't want or have time for issues like this stay with a tier 1 system. Just an example is Victron most issues on the forum are resolved by program settings.

Thanks guys. Victron and Schneider seem to have less software issues according to the videos I've watched. Guess I'll have to revise my plans.
I'm an engineer, so I can tolerate firmware and software written by engineers, for engineers.

Almost all of the firmware/software in this space I've seen lacks professional polish for "normal" users (non-engineers), meaning:
Complete reliability, trustworthiness, flexible configurations, clear design, ease-of-use, etc.
And I'm not talking about pretty pictures on LCD displays.

This is especially true with the Chinese products, where the hardware can be built reasonably well, but the firmware seems to be an afterthought, apparently farmed out to some contractor who doesn't understand the product. Or, they just dump all of the settings into a big ugly Windows-95 looking application. And to be fair, Victron VEConfigure is an example of the latter.

It really depends what you want out of your all-in-one.

If you want extensive access to the software internals (including limited source code), might write your own software to extend the system, or want to integrate into other household systems, I don't think Victron can be beat using a Venus OS device. But this is my hobby, so I am biased.

If you just want it to work well day after day, and you want the firmware/software to get out of the way and just do its job, others here can suggest options. Victron for sure, but I'm guessing maybe Schneider as well.

"If you just want it to work well day after day, and you want the firmware/software to get out of the way and just do its job, others here can suggest options. Victron for sure, but I'm guessing maybe Schneider as well. "

Thank you for putting it that way! Thats exactly what I want. I don't mind spending money to get a quality basic off grid ground mount system. Our average monthly use is only around 1000 KWH. I thought I had it all figured out with the equipment mentioned above and 3 Brightmount ground mount kits. Looks like I'll have to find a professional who designs and installs Victron or Schneider. Any suggestions for the Placerville California area?

Almost everyone I know in most occupations says software issues are in the top 5 of the biggest problems they deal with now. I don't remember it being that much of an issue until recently.

Everyone loves to hate signature solar and loves to love anything blue, price to performance ratio says 6000XP and PowerPro battery all day long.
Buy them from current connected if that makes you feel better.

price to performance ratio says 6000XP and PowerPro battery all day long.
Great All-in-One from a hardware value perspective. I'm considering one for an outbuilding.

This is what bothers me. With Victron, I can totally ignore VRM and disconnect my internet completely, and everything still works great.
I can totally reconfigure without the internet at all.

I'm not sure I want EG4 servers in the middle of my monitoring. As long as everything can work without it, including configuration, I'm fine.

Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 3.01.34 PM.png

Everyone loves to hate signature solar and loves to love anything blue, price to performance ratio says 6000XP and PowerPro battery all day long.
Buy them from current connected if that makes you feel better.
Well you can spend more with something else but at least it might not work any better.

I think a big portion of the early firmware issues were around not understanding the limitations of the various products, or using them in a slightly non-straightforward manner. If you take the cheapest AIO you can find, hook up a single battery and a couple of panels, you will get power out of it. Complications occur when you want strings of mis-matched batteries, grid tie, generator, mixing with other dis-similar gear, panel stringing, blah, blah. If you don't mind a lot of boxes, and want ultimate flexibility, and money is no object, I'd consider Victron.

To Q's point above, this box is $1400 . Building out similar capability needs several Victron boxes. The good news is you probably won't need to update firmware in every one of the three or 4 boxes, and it will only be dramatically more expensive, and require only a modiicum of additional wiring.

When it comes to this stuff, once the system is running as desired, the firmware issues become irrelevant. I don't own one but I'd guess any SolArk firmware updates to their flagships are minor feature updates and tweaks at this point. EG4's products will be there in a year or so, let's face it, the engineering of an AIO is kind of a finite problem, at some point there isn't anything else that really needs to be fixed, and we are not going to see any radical design changes. Once the hardware is stable, if it performs the desired function support also becomes less of an issue.

FWIW all those separates boxes people talk about have their own issues.

Initial setup is probably harder. Mo’ wires and boxes mo’ problems.

Code compliance to 1741 and 9540 is either incomplete (Victron for both) or monetized (Outback wants to sell you their own batteries).

To complete my ? ?: the separate boxes are very likely the right way to go for a setup intended to have a long lifespan or less hands on work once set up in a partially staffed remote location. Likely with an expert’s TLC, not something a mere noob achieves on the first try.

Back