diy solar

diy solar

Which Victron devices do I need for an off grid 12kW system?

As a newbie there is much I don't understand yet, but I have a Victron setup. If I was starting anew I wouldn't be looking at the Multiplus, I would look at the Quattro's which can be paralleled up to 6 units I think to get your desired power handling.

Also meant to mention that if I had to do it all over again, I'd have gone with the MP-II 48/5kVA... they didn't exist when I was looking for 48/5kVA.

@Adam De Lay makes me Jelly!

Do you think the Lynx distributor is useful?
What’s the advantage over paralleling the connectors on a pair of busbars or just at the inverter terminals?
As someone else said, they are simply a neg/pos busbar with 4 fuse capability and if paired with a Lynxx shunt can provide a safe setup with a lot of control. That said their not strictly necessary.
When you look at some of the videos on line about large off grid systems you often see the arrangements people use. It can be useful in helping you decide.

I have been toying with changing my system to a 48v with an AIO hybrid Inverter/charger but have decided that with the quality of the Victron products, that I already have, their features and track record I am staying with them and just redesigning my battery setup keeping it at 12v.
There is so much information out there, and so many opinions etc, it can be confusing

I have learnt much from Will's video series, from Andy's off grid garage series, and from Explorist.life series and from this forum.

It's a fascinating journey.

I have been toying with changing my system to a 48v with an AIO hybrid Inverter/charger but have decided that with the quality of the Victron products, that I already have, their features and track record I am staying with them and just redesigning my battery setup keeping it at 12v.

I am not a religious man, but THANK GOD!!!!

You need to consider volts and amps. The /200 has 4X independent MPPT, so you can effectively have 4 different arrays attached.

Each tracker can use up to 450Voc (must include temp allowance) and 18A of INPUT current. I'm assuming the 595W are around 33Vmp, so that would put their input at about 18A, so...

9S each on 4 MPPT would yield about 370Voc at 18A (Imp) input - well under limits (20A Isc)

9 * 595W = 5355W / tracker (each over-paneled by about 25%)
4 * 5355W = 21,420W total array size.

11,520W maximum usable of the above array, max 4000W on any MPPT.

@sunshine_eggo
Could you elaborate a little more about the current limitations in light of this information from the Victron Manual Page 8 section 3.5?

"The maximum operational input current for each tracker is 18 A.
MPPT PV inputs are protected against reverse polarity, to a maximum short circuit current of 20 A for each tracker.
Connecting PV arrays with a higher short circuit current is possible, up to an absolute maximum of 30A, as long as connected
with correct polarity. This outside of specification potential allows for system designers to connect larger arrays, and can be useful
to understand in case a certain panel configuration results in a short circuit current just slightly above the maximum of the reverse
polarity protection circuit."

According to this, would it be acceptable to configure a PV string for 1 MPPT tracker that had a current of 25amps? If so, what scenario could this be beneficial given the other contraints of maximum voltage and the 4000W limit/tracker. I understand this says if you screw up and connect more than 20 amps in reverse polarity you will burn something up. I find it to be confusing because the spec sheet for this unit does not reference this 30A limit only the lower 18A/20A limit.
Thanks

Do you actually have a single PV string that puts out 25A? Or multiple strings in parallel?

Disconnect extra strings so you have a single string under the 20A limit. Connect MPPT. Confirm correct operation. Then shut off and parallel additional string(s).
That should protect the reverse-polarity protection diodes.

Of course, also confirm acceptable Voc before connecting that first string.
And confirm ~0V delta before paralleling strings.

@sunshine_eggo
Could you elaborate a little more about the current limitations in light of this information from the Victron Manual Page 8 section 3.5?

MPPT PV inputs are protected against reverse polarity, to a maximum short circuit current of 20 A for each tracker.
Connecting PV arrays with a higher short circuit current is possible, up to an absolute maximum of 30A, as long as connected
with correct polarity. This outside of specification potential allows for system designers to connect larger arrays, and can be useful
to understand in case a certain panel configuration results in a short circuit current just slightly above the maximum of the reverse

According to this, would it be acceptable to configure a PV string for 1 MPPT tracker that had a current of 25amps? If so, what scenario could this be beneficial given the other contraints of maximum voltage and the 4000W limit/tracker. I understand this says if you screw up and connect more than 20 amps in reverse polarity you will burn something up. I find it to be confusing because the spec sheet for this unit does not reference this 30A limit only the lower 18A/20A limit.
Thanks

The max the MPPTs can use is 18A each.
To retain reverse polarity short circuit protection, do not exceed 20A Isc.
If you're willing to forego short circuit protection, you can go to as high as 30A Isc.

It's effectively an over-paneling limit, i.e., if you have really shitty solar, and you want to over-panel the snot out of it, you could hang about 8600W @ 320Vmp and 27Vmp on each tracker and be within safe limits, but you would only get 4000W max per MPPT up to the maximum output of the controller.

Do you actually have a single PV string that puts out 25A? Or multiple strings in parallel?

Disconnect extra strings so you have a single string under the 20A limit. Connect MPPT. Confirm correct operation. Then shut off and parallel additional string(s).
That should protect the reverse-polarity protection diodes.

Of course, also confirm acceptable Voc before connecting that first string.
And confirm ~0V delta before paralleling strings.
No, I do not have a 25A string. I am just trying to understand why Victron has designed this with the 18A/20A/30A specifications and could there be a scenario where someone would want to push the amps that high instead of splitting the string across 2 trackers.

The max the MPPTs can use is 18A each.
To retain reverse polarity short circuit protection, do not exceed 20A Isc.
If you're willing to forego short circuit protection, you can go to as high as 30A Isc.

It's effectively an over-paneling limit, i.e., if you have really shitty solar, and you want to over-panel the snot out of it, you could hang about 8600W @ 320Vmp and 27Vmp on each tracker and be within safe limits, but you would only get 4000W max per MPPT up to the maximum output of the controller.
Thanks, I guess it would be fairly impractical to over panel that much. I was just playing around with some string designs and thought it was strange that I hit the current limit on the Victron string calculator as soon as I put a sizeable panel in parallel. I guess the Victron calculator does not allow current over the 18A/20A limit because I was certainly less than 30amps.

Thanks, I guess it would be fairly impractical to over panel that much. I was just playing around with some string designs and thought it was strange that I hit the current limit on the Victron string calculator as soon as I put a sizeable panel in parallel. I guess the Victron calculator does not allow current over the 18A/20A limit because I was certainly less than 30amps.

Most high voltage MPPT have disappointing PV input current limits. Victron is no different. Anything over 18A Imp is wasted/over-paneled.

One of the Growatt units had a 250Voc limit and I think a 17A PV input current limit, yet it claimed a 80A/4000W rated MPPT - there was no combination of panels that could get you to 4kW without blowing the Voc limit. It was hard to get anything more than about 3.2kW on it.

It gives you some flexibility with paralleled strings.

I wana say my panels are 11.5/12a panels so I would be wasting potential during the summer if I paralleled a few strings together, but during the winter time with more shadows across the longer strings, it seems like I could split a string of 8 into two strings of 4 to try and maximize on potential, knowing that I probably wouldn't be maxing out the amperage anyways.

While some inverters "allow" for over-paneling, they don't spell it out clearly the max amperage thats allowed for over-paneling. Victron does.

As someone else said, they are simply a neg/pos busbar with 4 fuse capability and if paired with a Lynxx shunt can provide a safe setup with a lot of control. That said their not strictly necessary.
When you look at some of the videos on line about large off grid systems you often see the arrangements people use. It can be useful in helping you decide.

There is so much information out there, and so many opinions etc, it can be confusing

I have learnt much from Will's video series, from Andy's off grid garage series, and from Explorist.life series and from this forum.

It's a fascinating journey.
I am a magnum person myself, but once you have used tier one products taking a step backwards is well... backwards. I think you would quickly regret that move even if the inverter lasted more than 3 or 4 years. just my thoughts.

@sunshine_eggo

Thanks

thats so you can over panel in locations with crappy winter solar. you would be saying goodby to a few watts in the summer but you could get up to your full 4 k watts in the winter by overpaneling. most of the tier one SCC can do this. I know morningstar has had that option since day one of their MPPT series.

I like the Victron MPPT string calculator but I think there is some room for improvement. It took me a while to realize the calculator was not allowing strings that were possible even though you checked the box that says "allow over-paneling above 130%" The results they provide are good but they could do a better job of clearly showing the novice user exactly why the string is a failure and what can be done to fix it.
Victron should put the 30A limit on the data sheet. I would have found that a whole lot sooner if they had done that.

Back