diy solar

diy solar

which way does this diode go when replacing it ? Help!!!!!!!!!!

dankleinman

Hello all

So the short story is I screwed up and tried to use my 0-30v 10-amp power supply on my 48 volt battery .
poof I let out the magic smoke . I was getting ready to throw it away yesterday and decided to look and see if there was a fuse or something.
that I could replace before I buy a new one and I so i went digging in and noticed a burnt spot on the board and could hear a piece or two rattling around .
I went looking and found a diode that had blown apart. I was able to get the numbers off the diode and ordered some . They should be here today my question
Is there a certain way that the diode go on the board? Here are a couple pics of what I am dealing with . I assume the diode is directional but since it was in 2 pieces and no longer on the board I don't know what way to solder it back on . I dont know if thais is all of the issues i caused but figured it was worth taking a chance since the diodes were cheap

Thanks for any advice on this and have a great day

dan kleinman

0412231006d.jpg0412231008.jpg0412231906~2.jpg

The silver strip around the diode points towards the edge of the board. The symbol on the board shows a triangle with a line at its point. That line indicates the direction of the diode's silver stripe.

Thanks guys for the info. Thats kinda what I was thinking but figured I would ask in here before messing it up again . as soon as amazon gets here with my diodes I will put ine in and let you know If it worked .

Thanks again for the fast responses thats why I love this forum .

Thanks

Dan

Hello all

So the short story is I screwed up and tried to use my 0-30v 10-amp power supply on my 48 volt battery .
poof I let out the magic smoke . I was getting ready to throw it away yesterday and decided to look and see if there was a fuse or something.
that I could replace before I buy a new one and I so i went digging in and noticed a burnt spot on the board and could hear a piece or two rattling around .
I went looking and found a diode that had blown apart. I was able to get the numbers off the diode and ordered some . They should be here today my question
Is there a certain way that the diode go on the board? Here are a couple pics of what I am dealing with . I assume the diode is directional but since it was in 2 pieces and no longer on the board I don't know what way to solder it back on . I dont know if thais is all of the issues i caused but figured it was worth taking a chance since the diodes were cheap

Thanks for any advice on this and have a great day

dan kleinman

View attachment 144525View attachment 144526View attachment 144527
It’s a 6a 1000 volt Rectifier Diode.

The Cathode or Silver end goes in right side of board or where line runs through diode silkscreen.

Last edited:
symbioquine

well after reading your post I don't think adding the diode is going to fix it . mine is not doing anything at all I guess I will pull the circuit board and look at the bottom to see if anything else is messed up . my diodes are supposed to be here between 2:30 and 5:00 i will try it and report back what happens

thanks

dan

well after reading your post I don't think adding the diode is going to fix it . mine is not doing anything at all I guess I will pull the circuit board and look at the bottom to see if anything else is messed up

That's a good point! Perhaps you'll find some burned/broken traces that can just be repaired with a bit of solder like mine had... ?

Maybe the easiest next thing after that would be looking for any blown/leaking caps around where the diode is. (since that's where the output terminals connect to the board) Specifically, the green 35V ones since presumably those are used for output smoothing at the full output voltage.

Back