diy solar

diy solar

Who's using a LPG on demand water heater without 120v?

I'm curious about this as well. Bosch used to have some hydro/spark activated units but they seem to have disappeared from the marketplace.

No experience with them but some eccotemps will work on batteries as well (I'll shoot my brother a message and see what he thinks of it - as he has one).

I have a takagi condensing unit that is absolutely awesome but it uses a very small amount of 120v to run the exhaust fan. If I can't find a good dc or battery unit the Takagi is my backup plan.

I have a takagi condensing unit that is absolutely awesome but it uses a very small amount of 120v to run the exhaust fan. If I can't find a good dc or battery unit the Takagi is my backup plan.

The ones that use batteries require a more substantial venting system, but I'm trying to save on power wherever I can.

We have 2 that run on 2 D batteries man I couldn't even tell u the name of it when I go to the cabin I could tell u sorry about that

I have a eccotemp l5 and it works great, you definitely want the l7/l10 (they are similar to the one you linked) for more than recreational use.

my SiL uses a l5 to heat water to keep her warm when diving (underwater maintance/welder). had to build a shroud out of a drum to keep it from being blown out by gentle wind.

I plan on making a hot tub with my l5, a 12v pump and audrino based controller.. just gotta get the code working right.

I have seen someone use a 120v unit on a tiny inverter, it was heating a 275g tote to keep five 100# propane tanks warm while they were under heavy draw. I have also worked on a flame effect that used a 120v spark igniter from a hvac furnace ran from a small inverter.

+1 for the eccotemp line. I have 2 of the battery units and a 120v modulating unit. Broke off the hose connection on one and happy to see that you can buy any part for them online and support will also just send stuff out. eccotemp's online store has great deals now and again for refurb units. The prices swing a large amount so if ordering on amazon use a price tracker such as camelcamelcamel.com

In he 80’s we used to install myson and Aerostar tankless... zero electricity, they operated on a milivolt thermopile scenario, and used water pressure to operate a bellows for flow control... simple. No computerized anything... the issue with them was limited temp control. A low flow hot water draw could end up sending steam to a faucet...

I have been happily using an Aquastar (now Bosch) on demand water heater (natural gas) for almost 20 years. It uses a piezo ignitor so no 120/12v required. Bosch still makes a Bosch 330 LP or NG using piezo ignition.

Like chrisblessing I have been using tankless LPG on demand for a long time, well over thirty years. First a Bosch unit then went to a Vailland unit with the new house. The new owner of the old house didn't want on demand so I got that still functioning Bosch unit as a spare. We also have had a Paloma PF 5-3F at the kitchen sink (been there 25 years as well) and we bought a spare for that unit when I installed that unit.

All have pilot lights and all were piezo ignited and all manually snap just like a BBQ. All work by drop in water pressure to turn on and the only drawback has been that one cannot use the restricted flow shower head water savers. No electricity needed.

Like chrisblessing I have been using tankless LPG on demand for a long time, well over thirty years. First a Bosch unit then went to a Vailland unit with the new house. The new owner of the old house didn't want on demand so I got that still functioning Bosch unit as a spare. We also have had a Paloma PF 5-3F at the kitchen sink (been there 25 years as well) and we bought a spare for that unit when I installed that unit.

All have pilot lights and all were piezo ignited and all manually snap just like a BBQ. All work by drop in water pressure to turn on and the only drawback has been that one cannot use the restricted flow shower head water savers. No electricity needed.

Sounds perfect. I'm on well water so no worries about the water bill.

Looking for suggestions on one of these units. I'm looking at a Marey, and just wondering if anyone has experience with them? Or if you have a different, NON 120v unit that you like?

I have bought four and we are still using three one was replaced do to lack winterizeing have been pleased with all .all are from china I have found $120 price point works as well as more expensive ones like a battery bank buy largertha you think you will need best whises

I installed an excel in my rv and it works great! also works fine with the low flow shower way better than the 6g tank that was in it.

I installed an excel in my rv and it works great! also works fine with the low flow shower way better than the 6g tank that was in it.

I'm considering using a on-demand water heater as a pre-heater before my tanked RV water heater. would give me the ability to run hot at low flows, and endless hot water.

I already want to add a outside faucet around the area the stock tanked water heater is, so the plumbing is minimal (both lpg and water)

I also plan to add a small expansion tank, so that the water pump cycles longer but less often.

I think that's a great Idea and would work well, in my case the simplicity of just removing the lpg hungry tank worked well, this littl excel is great gives piping hot water within seconds to either side of the rv and it sips the propane. also it works good at our altitude 7700 ft wich is something to consider with these units.

I have a new unit from Korea at about $125, that works fine. My advice is to get the largest volume heater in the type you select
Sufficient water flow/ pressure in the the shower is a problem with the smaller units. At 12 liters per minute mine is on the edge.

Looking for suggestions on one of these units. I'm looking at a Marey, and just wondering if anyone has experience with them? Or if you have a different, NON 120v unit that you like?

Been using Marey GA10LP in off grid cabin for about 6 years. Run off BBQ propane tank with reg ouside building in case of leak or reg failure which I've had happen.

This unit is back up for my heat exchanger/antifreeze, twin panel 2 pump system with used 55 gal solar hot water tank in an insulation stuffed plywood box. This works quite well except when cloudy. Then I manually valve the Marey into the hot water lines and valve off the solar tank.

Pressure drop when HW faucet opened turns on Marey with 2 D Cell ignition. They last a couple years in my intermittent use. Flue is 5 inches diameter. I elbowed through wall and up above roof line with vent cap. Good flow needed or won't reignite until burnt gas has cleared out in 10-20 seconds. Works OK on RV pump pressure probably around 35 psi. Have to open HW valve fully in remote location for enough pressure drop and adjust temp with cold because of low pump pressure but it works.

For 200 some $ It's great. Flow good enough for a good shower unlike smaller units and at max heat with slower flow works great fed into my dishwasher at 140+ degrees F. I pulled wire off heating element in dishwasher to save power so I'm dependent on that really hot water going in. I just open door, pull racks out and let hot dishes air dry.

Can't live without a dishwasher! Power used around 100 watts I think, as long as that big heating element is disconnected.

Back