diy solar

diy solar

Why the heck are we waiting more than a minute for toast?

I found it and the 2 slot Dualit US model does pull 1200 watts.

This is supposedly the same "loading" as the UK model 2 slot.

Any future british visitors will be given a stern talking to about their purportedly experienced assessment of the speed of toasting in my household.

As for why my old $11 Cuisinart still seems to toast faster... TBD

Over here in NA just stick to a 2 narrow slot (non extra wide bagel) toaster or you'll be waiting a long time for your toast!

Found this gem of an article :

Some highlights :

The first phase was meant to see if the power increase would even work: starting voltage was set at 295 with approximately 1.5 kilowatts. From there, the toaster was pushed up to 330 volts and 1.8 kilowatts. Using this much power, the bread achieve a full toasting in about one minute’s time.

While most people would be happy with a 30-second toaster, the guys at Photonicinduction were not done — they then decided they wanted toast in 10 seconds. Initial power went straight to 405 volts / 2+ kilowatts and after about 20 seconds or so, smoke started coming from the bread. Once removed, the bread showed signs of being fairly well burnt.

A second try was given at approximately 405 volts, 2.9 kilowatts, and after 10 seconds, the bread turned out well toasted.

I worked for a short time in Sara Lee's R&D kitchen. They had a 3 phase 460v microwave. Heating up lunch was ~6 seconds.

Code (at least where I live) requires that a kitchen have at least 2 20 amp circuits. The inspector requested that I run a separate circuit even though I only had 2 outlets in the galley kitchen in the in-law suite above my shop. I did add another circuit and outlet.

We also had to have a discussion about my refrigerator outlet, behind the fridge of course. Being in a kitchen it's required to be GFCI. But GFCI are required to be accessible. He agrees with me that being behind the fridge it was pretty unlikely to get wet so I could skip the GFCI.

Instant Toast​

Why quick toast when you can have instant toast?

Back