diy solar

diy solar

Will, Delta Pro claims you refused to review the new Delta Pro... is this true?

We have a 230V well pump (that's what the sticker on the side says). Realistically - if you had two Delta Pro's but no extra batteries, how long could you run the pump?
Depends on how long the pumps runs and how many watt hours is used to run it. From what I know its not very practical to run a 240V well pump on any type of portable solar generator (long term) due to expense of battery capacity needed, IMHO.

We have a 230V well pump (that's what the sticker on the side says). Realistically - if you had two Delta Pro's but no extra batteries, how long could you run the pump?
Hard to say without knowing the specs of your well pump. My guess is quite a while, since you have 7.2 kWh with 2 Delta Pros together.

With only that information. The only possible answer is....... until the battery runs down.

I like the 30A outlet - I can just plug my RV into it like shorepower. o_O
Three grand??? OMFG Plus an add-on battery?

I was almost sold - but Will still goes AC300 for fixed use. And I do like the lighter parts of the AC200 MAX or AC300. Not sure about getting that 100# Delta Pro down the steps, into my basement.

I see Costco has the Delta Pro at a really good price - but it looks like the older units with 1200 watt solar input. Does anyone know if those are prone to more "issues" like the RV plug wired wrong or anything else?

I was almost sold - but Will still goes AC300 for fixed use. And I do like the lighter parts of the AC200 MAX or AC300. Not sure about getting that 100# Delta Pro down the steps, into my basement.

I see Costco has the Delta Pro at a really good price - but it looks like the older units with 1200 watt solar input. Does anyone know if those are prone to more "issues" like the RV plug wired wrong or anything else?
This was discussed previously in this thread.
Scroll up, for more information.

Here's one for the experts...
Tried charging my delta mini at 300W AC off my Xantrex 600W inverter - the delta clicks for about ten seconds, then switches on and when it does it trips the gcfi on the inverter.
Any ideas on why??

charges perfectly on a cigar lighter to the same battery, or with 160w of solar panels.

First measure input wires to ground with an ohm meter.
Next measure capacitance.
That may or may not show anything, depending on what is switched inside.

An EMI filter with capacitor to ground can cause a few mA of 60 Hz current in ground, so that is one possibility.

You could add an outlet bypassing GFCI if you want to use it this way.

You could put an isolation transformer between them. e.g. a transformer with dual primary windings, meant for 120/240V. Just use one 120V winding for primary, one for isolated secondary. It would be appropriate to ground the derived neutral. That will not trip GFCI. You also will not have GFCI protection on its output.

The Costco unit is the retail 1600W version. The description is a typo from an earlier promo. See my earlier post:

Early in the prototype phase, the DP did have reversed polarity on the TT-30 outlet. But that was fixed prior to mass production, so any units you buy today will not have this issue.

First measure input wires to ground with an ohm meter.
Next measure capacitance.
That may or may not show anything, depending on what is switched inside.

An EMI filter with capacitor to ground can cause a few mA of 60 Hz current in ground, so that is one possibility.
>snip

I don't know what any of this means.
Input wires from what to which ground? The charging source? Or the delta unit? To which ground?

The Costco unit is the retail 1600W version. The description is a typo from an earlier promo. See my earlier post:

Early in the prototype phase, the DP did have reversed polarity on the TT-30 outlet. But that was fixed prior to mass production, so any units you buy today will not have this issue.

Wow - so it's just basically a great deal at Costco on this one then?

I have bought most stuff from Shop Solar Kits so far, and support was great when I had to return an item. Is there more risk with buying from Costco if something is not right? I wouldn't be tempted, but it's a good deal.

I have bought most stuff from Shop Solar Kits so far, and support was great when I had to return an item. Is there more risk with buying from Costco if something is not right? I wouldn't be tempted, but it's a good deal.
It’s less risks if anything. For any reason whatsoever within 90 days, you just take it back to Costco if you don’t want to keep it. Costco is well known for their awesome customer service.

It’s less risks if anything. For any reason whatsoever within 90 days, you just take it back to Costco if you don’t want to keep it. Costco is well known for their awesome customer service.
Good to hear. I would order on line and have it shipped - but I'd assume I could ship it back if needed. Hard to pass this one up. I have never ordered from Costco before - do you have to be a memeber?

Last edited:
Good to hear. I would order on line and have it shipped - but I'd assume I could ship it back if needed. Hard to pass this one up. I have never ordered from Costco before - do you have to be a memeber?
You do have be a member. It costs $60. You don’t need to ship it back if you want to return it. Just bring it to the nearest Costco. But I recall there was a ship back option when I had to return things I ordered on Costco online.

Back