diy solar

diy solar

Will Deye / Sunsynk charge battery from existing PV inverter via AC grid port?

SeaGal

Photon Sorceress
Thinking about expanding my system and pondering the following questions for any Deye / Sunsynk or I assume SolArk users out there...

a) If I deploy a SUN-6K/8K-SG01LP1-EU inverter with PV input in grid-tied configuration and move my existing 14.3kWh battery pack to the Sunsynk, will the Sunsynk charge its batteries from any grid export it detects that has been generated by another grid-tied inverter (in my case a Solis, but with batteries removed) supplying the same 230V phase? This is what would happen if I were deploy another Solis, but just considering my options at the moment. Using the Sunsynk's gen port is not an option as the existing Solis will need to remain grid-tied as it will be running without battery.

b) Does the Deye / Sunsynk work with a remote RS485 and CT clamp based Acrel power meter? Documentation seemed to imply just a directly connected CT which is not an option for me, though the 'ecco' range mentioned power meter, but not details of the meter or configuration.

TIA

Last edited:
A) you can put your existing Solis on the GEN/AUX port of the Deye/Sunsynk inverter; it will be tied to the GRID port when grid is online; you must take into account when connecting your hybrid to the grid that the output will be the sum of the Solis and the Deye. It shall not pass 50A of current.

Thinking about expanding my system and pondering the following questions for any Deye / Sunsynk or I assume SolArk users out there...

a) If I deploy a SUN-6K/8K-SG01LP1-EU inverter with PV input in grid-tied configuration and move my existing 14.3kWh battery pack to the Sunsynk, will the Sunsynk charge its batteries from any grid export it detects that has been generated by another grid-tied inverter (in my case a Solis, but with batteries removed) supplying the same 230V phase? This is what would happen if I were deploy another Solis, but just considering my options at the moment. Using the Sunsynk's gen port is not an option as the existing Solis will need to remain grid-tied as it will be running without battery.

b) Does the Deye / Sunsynk work with a remote RS485 and CT clamp based Acrel power meter? Documentation seemed to imply just a directly connected CT which is not an option for me, though the 'ecco' range mentioned power meter, but not details of the meter or configuration.

TIA
Happy New Year,

bit late to the party, but i think my system works exactly as you hope(d?) - i am using the aux gen setting though to allow my existing FiT PV to charge the 14.3kw battery connected to the Sunsynk. i assume you will already have worked it out, so i am just adding to your 'database' lol.

i just wished i had bought an 8kw Sunsynk, on the basis that it can charge the battery (soon to be two) to its max during the short TOU tariff via Octopus.

not sure about the remote CT connection, but i seem to remember a you tube comment from Keith who mentioned the issue of remote CT connections and length of cable

Happy New Year,
(y)
bit late to the party, but i think my system works exactly as you hope(d?) - i am using the aux gen setting though to allow my existing FiT PV to charge the 14.3kw battery connected to the Sunsynk. i assume you will already have worked it out, so i am just adding to your 'database' lol.
Thanks for that info - yes, def for the database now - I got a 2nd Solis late last year :)

Happy New Year,

i just wished i had bought an 8kw Sunsynk, on the basis that it can charge the battery (soon to be two) to its max during the short TOU tariff via Octopus.

not sure about the remote CT connection, but i seem to remember a you tube comment from Keith who mentioned the issue of remote CT connections and length of cable
Are you saying that you DO NOT have to wire it to the AUX/GEN port but you cand adjust the settings in that page for it to work?

if so could you post a screen grab.

Are you saying that you DO NOT have to wire it to the AUX/GEN port but you cand adjust the settings in that page for it to work?

if so could you post a screen grab.
Yes that's how mine works. No additional wiring other than ensuring the CT clamp is in the correct location, screen grab as requested! ....

IMG-20240313-WA0009.jpeg

Last edited:
Be aware this setup will only function as long as the grid is available
Thanks, is that an issue, does it create a problem? If the grid went down my UPS kicks in to feed my fridge and freezer.
Is there a better alternative to how I have mine set up, though I must add in the six months (prob a bit more) it's been set like that, I haven't had a problem.
I do expect to change it soon, as I am planning on exporting ALL solar to the grid and not use it charge the battery

Thanks, is that an issue, does it create a problem? If the grid went down my UPS kicks in to feed my fridge and freezer.
Is there a better alternative to how I have mine set up, though I must add in the six months (prob a bit more) it's been set like that, I haven't had a problem.
I do expect to change it soon, as I am planning on exporting ALL solar to the grid and not use it charge the battery
If you have a grid failure, your Solis will stop producing completely.
If you connect it to the smart/aux/gen port it will still produce evem when grid fails and can power your loads an charge batteries.
Frequency shift, if properly configured will you Solis to stop producing when the power has nowhere to go ( not enough load, battery full or the native panels to the dye/sunsynk/sol-ark already produce enough to fulfill demand...

Sunsynk ... Not sollis though perhaps they will perform the same ? I'm still confused though as to whether I am doing it correctly?
I have mine set like this so as not to affect/impact on my Feed in Tariff...

If you have a grid failure, your Solis will stop producing completely.
If you connect it to the smart/aux/gen port it will still produce evem when grid fails and can power your loads an charge batteries.
Frequency shift, if properly configured will you Solis to stop producing when the power has nowhere to go ( not enough load, battery full or the native panels to the dye/sunsynk/sol-ark already produce enough to fulfill demand...
I currently have a 10kw symo fronius inverter with 13kw of panels attached to it and am currently looking at expanding my system to include a 12kw Deye hybrid inverter another 13kw of panels attected directly to it and 20kw/h of batteries

I am considering having my existing Grid PV inverter connected to the GEN port of the Deye as above so the existing system stays up during a grid failure.

Do you know if the batteries are full and the loads are covered by the "native" panels connected directly to the deye inverter Assuming the grid is available will grid tied inverter that is connected to the gen port on the deye export excess energy instead of shut down.

I currently have a 10kw symo fronius inverter with 13kw of panels attached to it and am currently looking at expanding my system to include a 12kw Deye hybrid inverter another 13kw of panels attected directly to it and 20kw/h of batteries

I am considering having my existing Grid PV inverter connected to the GEN port of the Deye as above so the existing system stays up during a grid failure.

Do you know if the batteries are full and the loads are covered by the "native" panels connected directly to the deye inverter Assuming the grid is available will grid tied inverter that is connected to the gen port on the deye export excess energy instead of shut down.
It will, and you are considering a suggested setup, so your plan is sound.
What you do need to be aware of , is that you cannot exceed the maximum of the inverter..
E.g. if you buy a 12k, max export, no matter the source or destination ( load or grid) , will be 12k

What you do need to be aware of , is that you cannot exceed the maximum of the inverter..
E.g. if you buy a 12k, max export, no matter the source or destination ( load or grid) , will be 12k
Thanks I did not know that, so althought it will export it will only export a maximum of 12kw not up to 22kw which is the summed capacity of both inverters, so once the batteries are charged and the load is covered there may be a lot of wasted energy.

so putting the existing PV inverter on the grid side might be better if I want to export the maximum and just live with the potential loss of output if the grid goes down which does not happen very often

does the deye inverter support this scenario?

Do you know if the 12KW limit is combined i.e. if I have 6kw load connected through the"backup" side of the inverter will I beable t export only 6wk to the grid or will I still beable to export 12kw and keep the 6kw load powered?

Do you know if the 12KW limit is combined i.e. if I have 6kw load connected through the"backup" side of the inverter will I beable t export only 6wk to the grid or will I still beable to export 12kw and keep the 6kw load powered?
12kw is a total, no matter what "exit port" is used

Both my Deye 12Ks clipped at 12kW for two hours last monday + AC coupled Bluesun 15Ks seemed to be restricted also at 12kW for that two hours too.
20240318_102846.jpg

Figures doesn't add up correctly as my Deyes are connected parallel. Loads are not 0,00kW in the real world as the other Deye takes care of them. 18,05kW grid sell is real number, but with all four inverters combined. The main point is that these seem to have clipping point around 24kW PV + AC coupling combined.

Back