diy solar

diy solar

Will's 2000 watt 24 volt system

JimmyJ

I'm going to set this system up for small off grid cabin but my cabin is 12v ac.My question is will the 24v to 12v reducer produce ac or dc with a 24v inverter?

The 24V to 12V buck takes the 24V from your battery bank and provides you with 12VDC for 12 volt devices. It isn't necessary unless you have 12 volt thing to power directly.

The 24V to 12V buck takes the 24V from your battery bank and provides you with 12VDC for 12 volt devices. It isn't necessary unless you have 12 volt thing to power directly.
I understand that part .Will the 24vdc to 12vdc reducer produce ac with a 24v inverter.My cabin is all ac appliances.Thanks

I understand that part .Will the 24vdc to 12vdc reducer produce ac with a 24v inverter.My cabin is all ac appliances.Thanks

No. A 24v inverter takes 24VDC input and produces AC output. A 24VDC to 12VDC converter takes 24VDC input and has 24VDC output.

If you hook both of those things up to a 24V battery bank you get 12VDC and 120VAC.

If you only need AC, dont buy the 24 to 12 converter.

No. A 24v inverter takes 24VDC input and produces AC output. A 24VDC to 12VDC converter takes 24VDC input and has 24VDC output.

If you hook both of those things up to a 24V battery bank you get 12VDC and 120VAC.

Thanks for the reply.I apologize for all the questions .Just making sure I buy what I need.
I will be using 4 300 watt Renogy panels.2000 watt DC 24volt to AC 120v Gaindel inverter.60 amp MPPT charge controller.With a couple batteries ran in series.Sound right? Thanks again

Thanks for the reply.I apologize for all the questions .Just making sure I buy what I need.
I will be using 4 300 watt Renogy panels.2000 watt DC 24volt to AC 120v Gaindel inverter.60 amp MPPT charge controller.With a couple batteries ran in series.Sound right? Thanks again
If you're following Will's blueprint, I think you've got the basics listed. He gives a full breakdown of components needed in the blueprint. You won't need the Victron battery protect (please see the note under the picture of his system example) or the 24 V -> 12V DC converter as @krby noted above.

So your bill of materials looks like:

1577986681811.png

If you're following Will's blueprint, I think you've got the basics listed. He gives a full breakdown of components needed in the blueprint. You won't need the Victron battery protect (please see the note under the picture of his system example) or the 24 V -> 12V DC converter as @krby noted above.

So your bill of materials looks like:

View attachment 4324
Thank you for your reply. Big help

I'm going to set this system up for small off grid cabin but my cabin is 12v ac.My question is will the 24v to 12v reducer produce ac or dc with a 24v inverter?

I think you might either have a typo in your original post or be confused about the voltage or electricity type you will use. Are you truly meaning to say you will have 12v AC? Or is that meant to be 120v ac or 12v dc?

For reference, afaik, inverter always implies changing current types (e.g. 12v DC to 120v AC) whereas a converter implies changing the voltage but the same type of current (e.g. 24v DC to 12v DC)

I'm still confused about NOT using the Victron battery protect. Will has multiple videos recommending using one for this 24v build on YouTube, but only in this blueprint he says not to. Can you provide the reason its NOT needed, so I can make an informed decision.
Many thanks!

I'm still confused about NOT using the Victron battery protect. Will has multiple videos recommending using one for this 24v build on YouTube, but only in this blueprint he says not to. Can you provide the reason its NOT needed, so I can make an informed decision.
Many thanks!
There's nothing wrong with using the battery protect as long as it is used correctly. The problem is that you must not have it wired between the battery and the inverter. Victron clearly states that the battery protect can't be used with items containing large capacitors (like inverters).

The picture shown on https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/2000-watt-24v-solar-system.html is a problem because the battery protect is incorrectly being used like a bus bar and the inverter is connected to it. If Will had used a proper positive bus bar (much like how he used the negative bus bar) then the battery protect could be connected to the bus bar and then just the DC-DC buck converter could be connected to be battery protect. This would allow the battery protect to prevent the DC loads from over draining the battery. Many inverters can be programmed to disconnect when the battery voltage gets too low so there is no reason to even want to connect such inverters to a battery protect.

I think it would put 12 volts out

Back