diy solar

diy solar

Wind add on to current off grid 12v 900 watt solar

Kevin1221

I currently have a 12v off grid solar system with 300 amp hour batteries. A 60 amp charge controller. I am wondering how complicated it would be to add in wind to my current system without a complete overhaul. I want the wind as a supplement more than a main power input. Ideally I would like to be able somehow tie in a small wind turbine with minimal part replacement. I know typically you need a special Inverter for wind but I wasn't sure if they make turbines with built in ones that would make it possible to do a direct tie in.

I have very limited experience with solar aside from putting together my current system so forgive me if my explanation of anything is confusing or I am misspeaking. Thank you in advance for your time. Please feel free to correct anything I have said and I am happy to clarify any other information that is need for a better answer.

I currently have a 12v off grid solar system with 300 amp hour batteries. A 60 amp charge controller. I am wondering how complicated it would be to add in wind to my current system without a complete overhaul. I want the wind as a supplement more than a main power input. Ideally I would like to be able somehow tie in a small wind turbine with minimal part replacement. I know typically you need a special Inverter for wind but I wasn't sure if they make turbines with built in ones that would make it possible to do a direct tie in.

I have very limited experience with solar aside from putting together my current system so forgive me if my explanation of anything is confusing or I am misspeaking. Thank you in advance for your time. Please feel free to correct anything I have said and I am happy to clarify any other information that is need for a better answer.
I think you just need to get a controller that supports wind and wire it alongside your existing controller tbh
You shouldn't need to change much else after from adding the two wires for positive and negative to the battery/busbar

My suggestion is before you add another system get a good weather station and see if it will be worth your while.
Unless you have a open space that has lots of wind I think you will find that it's hard to justify the cost.

Back