diy solar

diy solar

Winter 23-24 upgrade plan ideas

pvdude

Solar Enthusiast
The system has been through 3 Summers now, and I have modified it each Winter, based on what I learned each season.
Very cloudy here (tropical) Summers, PV performance suffers dramatically.

Have added more PV each Winter, w/ associated electronics.
Summer of 2023 demonstrated the need for more PV....again.....

Looks like I can "over panel" the Schneider MPPT 100A 600vdc charge controllers quite a bit,
as long as the "Max array short circuit current at ST" is observed, (35A),
as well as the 195-510vdc MPPT voltage range.

diysolarforum.com/resources/overview-of-over-paneling-an-mppt-controller.229/

Here is what might work for this Winter project:

Replace the 16 REC ALPHA 365AA with 16 SILFAB SIL-490 HN.
That upgrade will provide 2kw more PV capacity.
Ground mount, so not a big ordeal to swap panels.

The SILFAB 490's are enormous. 89" (2263mm) long!!!!
So I will have to extend the ends of the ground mount frame by more than
7' (214cm).
old_rec365_pv.png
The Voc will increase from about 350vdc to about 432vdc.
(Not concerned about Winter temperature effects on Voc here.)

Current increases from 10.26 to 11.53.

Afterwards, there will be a pile'o 16 spare REC365AA to use for Winter 24-25, if needed.

Best part is that the SILFAB panels are local pickup (https://www.gexpro.com/), no shipping $$$ or anxiety!

There is just enough room in my van, the SILFAB's are 14" longer than the LG LG425QAK-A6 (425W) panels I picked up last year for the shed roof mount project.
lg_van_load.png

Looking great. Working on the last string and seventh array, hopefully final of 52kW. I really need a 12 step program.
How do you manage to use all that ?
I am thinking 11kw is light here in Florida but enough to get me through almost everything, gonna bump it up another 6kw after CO but beyond that I just don't know what else I could use. I am planning 100kwh of batteries though.

How do you manage to use all that ?
I am thinking 11kw is light here in Florida but enough to get me through almost everything, gonna bump it up another 6kw after CO but beyond that I just don't know what else I could use. I am planning 100kwh of batteries though.
I could power three efficient homes in the summer. On the darkest cloudy days of winter the production is about 4%. If I came close to using my 10kW LP Gen, then I added more PV. It’s really their for emergency repairs on the system. Heat pumps in the winter are used until the outdoor temps get below 25°F, then the blowers are used to circulate the heat from a wood burner and all hp set points are lowered to 60-65F.

Back