diy solar

diy solar

Winter v summer sun and charging

Scot-Cameron

Where i live i have to have east west facing, in the winter my batteries are charged each day just, however in the summer my batteries are full by 11am every morning
4 series 12v 100amp 2 parallel. 2x48v
I could easy add another 8 batteries for summer time, however im sure the winter sun could not charge them on such limited sunlight with trees in the way from the south,
My question, what do other folk do in this situation, add more panels for winter when you actually need electric for heating. Then have overkill for summer? I was thinking of a fold out array for the winter, my garden is wet all winter so dont use it. Not sure which way to go here and maybe some suggestions could guide me.
Most enjoyable project I've done for a while.

My question, what do other folk do in this situation, add more panels for winter when you actually need electric for heating. Then have overkill for summer?
Yup.

I would say most of us are in same boat.

My batteries are 100% by noon daily in summer.

Before su comes out in the morning what are your batteries doing for SOC wise?

does your consumption increase over the summer?

Above all you can never have too much storage.

Above all you can never have too much storage.
I agree with that to a point.

My batteries are never 100% Mid November- Mid January.

Doesn’t hurt LIFEPO4 but it doesn’t help either unless I use grid or Gen to charge them.

Well then more PV is never a bad thing, lol

Least with LiFePo you have good efficiency when charging via generator.

Thank you all, by 4pm in winter they are just fully charged, my consumption drops in summer as no heating required, down come my apple trees i planted last year, more panels are going in before winter, i have double of everything so will do a dedicated heating system and leave my existing setup alone. You all solved my dilemma, much appreciated.
Scot

diy solar

diy solar
Back