diy solar

diy solar

working on my wiring plan - input?

Stupid Monkey

I'm not an electrical engineer, so may well represent thing wrong.

I've missed off lots of negative connections, only putting them in where in my mind they are not "standard"

I've tried to work round the revelation that a 100A BMS probably will only discharge at that, and not charge at that, so bypassing that with most of the panels, and therefore its protections.
I couldn't find Wills diagram of using inverter via Victron battery disconnect, maybe it was only on the video, but I think I have that right.

Appreciate any comments, missing things, way to wire in more protection ......

Attachments

• Wiring diagram.jpg
    Wiring diagram.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 77
@Stupid Monkey I'm curious about your intentions for that Victron BatteryProtect; it seems to be shown on the NEG line (I'm assuming that's just a mis-draw) but I want to make sure that you're aware that it cannot be used to disconnect the main DC POS line feeding that inverter. The only supported method for using a BP to disconnect an inverter is to use it to trigger the remote on/off switch of an inverter (if so equipped) and must not be used to directly disconnect the supply of the inverter.
For more information, see the updated user manual (which includes several new wiring diagrams showing the supported connection methods): https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...A-100-A--220-A-EN-NL-FR-DE-SE-SV-PT-TR-IT.pdf

Like this that @Will Prowse posted -
That's an old video; don't do that. @Will Prowse has updated most of his videos and all of his diagrams that I'm aware of to reflect that you cannot do this with a Victron BatteryProtect.
This is reflected in this thread https://diysolarforum.com/threads/3...tion-to-bms-battery-question.1303/#post-10967
and this thread https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...victron-battery-protect-220a.2565/#post-23683
and several others, as well as by Victron's user manual itself. Always defer to the manufacturer's instructions, regardless of others' recommendations.

For what its worth I magnified the drawing 400% and I still can't make out any detail.
Yes I have vision problems.

Thanks for that ... will have a read through those threads later.

Much appreciated, nice to have people to check before i do something wrong.

Attachments

• Wiring diagram.jpg
    Wiring diagram.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 24
I do not understand why this problem keeps arising. The video's description mentions the battery protect update first and foremost. Updated schematics are mentioned right after that with links and pictures. What schematic are people referring too? Everything has been updated. You cannot buy the battery protect on my website anymore either.

The update is also a pinned comment on the video in case someone did not read the description.

Community section has the battery protect update, and of course this forum as well.

@Justin Laureltec What do you think? I do not want to take the video down because it teaches a lot of fundamental lessons on using multiple components together. And many of my other videos will become outdated as battery technology/circuit designs change, which is why I update the description. It is inevitable for this to occur, and I am expecting people to look for specific updates. I cannot redo every video I have made when a new product comes out (especially right now with how many new products are being released this year).

FireShot Capture 516 - Complete LiFePO4 Solar Battery System Design - YouTube - www.youtube.com.pngFireShot Capture 515 - Complete LiFePO4 Solar Battery System Design - YouTube - www.youtube.com.png

I cannot see how someone could possibly miss these updates. All of my other videos have updates (for example, updated charge profile parameters for lifepo4), but the only update people seem to consistently ignore is the battery protect one.

I cannot see how someone could possibly miss these updates. All of my other videos have updates (for example, updated charge profile parameters for lifepo4), but the only update people seem to consistently ignore is the battery protect one.
:LOL: Welcome to my world, my friend... I give the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a combination of eagerness/excitement to get going on a new project and a flagging attention span/failure to read details when watching a video/failure to read user manuals.
I deal with this sort of thing all day, I mean I'm a recognized Victron Product Expert (#9 in the world), a Victron Community Moderator, and work for a Victron distributor and I still deal -every day- with people arguing with me over what the manual actually says because "I saw a video over here that says I can do this".
Bottom line: you can only do so much to edit your videos over the course of time, and I -and other VPEs- spend as much time as we can every day out on dozens of forums looking for misinformation/misuse/etc. Between all of us, we'll catch "X" number of mistakes before they happen, but at the end of the day you simply can't catch everything, and you shouldn't let it stress you out too much. We all do what we can, one person at a time :)

Edit: My thought is leave the video up. It does offer good advice on multiple component connection, and at the end of the day, it's the user's responsibility to do their own homework/reading to verify any system design. In this case, the user at least did the right thing by posting his proposed design so we could catch the problem before it became reality.

Last edited:
I do not understand why this problem keeps arising. The video's description mentions the battery protect update first and foremost.
Cant speak for everyone but if I'm on my TV or phone rather than laptop then you only see the video and title, not any text and I didnt check it. And even on the laptop i don't generally read the comments.

I did wonder why i couldn't find the diagram on your website. I'll order a "12V 450A Changeover Solenoid For Easy Switching Between 2 Battery Banks" and use it as a switch with the inverter on "normally closed" and have that triggered by the BMS.

I'll use a https://www.bimblesolar.com/extras/connectors/12v-100a-solenoid 100A one for the 100A MPPT input too

I've updated my drawing, if anyone can have a look.
I'll not upload it here, it loses too much quality.
All feedback greatly appreciated, trying to make this a safe and reliable system. Its to run a mountain bike event series (biggest enduro series in UK) and my off grid van living while running it.

My intro thread - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/w...eeks-but-never-really-introduced-myself.3024/

Cant speak for everyone but if I'm on my TV or phone rather than laptop then you only see the video and title, not any text and I didnt check it. And even on the laptop i don't generally read the comments.
Fair point there, YouTube titles and comments show up a lot differently on mobile platforms and some of the edits aren't as obvious right away. @Will Prowse , maybe add a **PLEASE SEE EDITS IN COMMENTS** or something into the title?

That would be a good plan - do appreciate the feedback on system setup. If you can have a browse of that updated system diagram please.

That would be a good plan - do appreciate the feedback on system setup. If you can have a browse of that updated system diagram please.
Just looked it over. Does the dc dc battery charger handle input 24v on alternator side? And output of 12v?

Everything else looks decent.

Be sure to manually set absorption on the solar charge controller. When one of your packs hits 3.6v, test the voltage of the entire pack, then set that as absorption. I would start with 14.0v to be on the safe side.

Just looked it over. Does the dc dc battery charger handle input 24v on alternator side? And output of 12v?

Everything else looks decent.
Yes, its a bit like that Renology one you tested, all in one, but does 12/24 on alternator side (voltage triggered, can use a wire trigger too) but unlike the renology has 45v max input rather than 25 (and can be over paneled like a tracer).

Noted comment on charge profile - appreciated.

diy solar

diy solar
Back