diy solar

diy solar

Would little physical damages on Lifepo4 Cells affect their performance / lifespan?.

mrdavvv

Solar Enthusiast
So the happiness of finally received my 280AH cells washed out a bit after realizing that a couple of them arrived damaged:

The first one its the most affected:

photo5525933923109021628.jpgCaptura de pantalla de 2020-04-14 10-56-21.png

Second one you can see a little bit of the alum case, but the impact its not that bad:

photo5525933923109021624.jpgphoto5525933923109021625.jpg

So should i ask replacement from the seller or this is just aesthetics? Could this impact the performance or lifespan or should be fine?. Anyway of testing for this?, like checking discharge times or internal resistance?.

1586880042629.png

Internally they are just a bunch of layers, so its likely that little physical damage as this just results the layers being more compressed than usual, but no idea if i should worry about them.

I would contact the seller immediately and show the pictures. You probably paid for shipping insurance. You can decide later not to take action but getting this documented and reported right after delivery is important. If you wait a few days or weeks i think your chance of action diminishes.
And if your Alibaba "feedback" period expires, then they have no reason on honor anything.
Tell them you wanted to work with them to resolve this instead of reporting negative feedback.

Yep: Reach out to the Vendor IMMEDIATELY and provide the photo's of the damage, he 1st 3 ARE Compromised, the last one is likely OK "but" maybe not. Are these from Xuba ? Was the box / packaging damaged ? If so, do you have a photo of the damaged box ? (send that too)

Let us know who the Vendor & Shipping Company is.

Yes they are from Xuba Steve. Packaging was good and didnt notice at first because of that reason.

1586888591651.png

Will contact Amy asap.

Bloody Hell ! Would have been so much simpler if the boxes were visibly damaged. Let us know how Amy deals with it.

Some updates.

Fortunately the boxes of the batteries were still around, so i was able to check them and found one with visible damage, took some photos and send a full report to Amy (Xuba)

She was attentive, but basically told me that she put a claim with the logistics company and we must wait for their answer.

However its a little over 10 days and still haven't receive and answer, furthermore i doubt the logistics place will cover any amount or even accept the claim (In my experience, but i can be wrong). I just requested a date for this to get solved, and also ask her what happens if the logistics don't want to be responsible.

Im considering putting a claim on Alibaba, but Amy has been very helpfull with all the people in the forum and this can affect her work/

I would apply the Rule of Three on this mrdavvv. Meaning give 3 days - 3 Chances before opening an Alibaba claim. The couriers are being problematic in general right now, especially DHL which has gone completely stupid. Remember the Time Difference too, it does play a factor in the speed of responses.

Yes i think i will give her more time.... but does anyone knows how to check the remaining time to put claims on alibaba?... my only worry is that that time passing or maybe even lowering my chances by leaving too much days between package arribal -> claim.

I will propose Amy another solution too, buy another 8 cells and maybe she can trow a discount or the affected cells :)

Of the pictures you posted, the only one I would try, would be the last one with the little ding on the bottom (if it is DRY), the others I would not.
Credit won't replace the useless cells that you can have no faith in. Give Amy options and let her think on it, she cannot make decisions though, she would have to clear it upstairs with management. Offering Options & Solutions is GOOD & Proactive and people do appreciate that.

Wow! Looks like the Xuba shipping and packaging method was well overdue for a review. I believe that you are one of at least 3 members here that received damaged cells from Xuba.

I’m glad to know Amy is addressing the packaging method, and I’m really hoping mine arrive undamaged!

I still think Xuba is doing a very reasonable job on the packaging...I don't think I would have packaged them any different...at least not for 4 cells in one box...but, anything can be damaged if you try hard enough. :)

Other thing to add...I think I heard Steve say that Xuba had sold the next 5,000 cells they had ordered...so if we are only hearing about 3 damaged deliveries...I think that is pretty good.

Yes and i don't complaint either about the packaging, plenty of it, still don't understand how they were damaged!.

1/4 PE Foam individually for each cell, then another layer for all, then a little box for the group, then some packaging filling, and the main box.. there is like 5 layers of materials between the battery and the world!.

Ill keep talking to her so hopefully we can solve it, if there is not much damaged cels in the forum from 5000, i have enough bad luck to be in the 1%
Of the pictures you posted, the only one I would try, would be the last one with the little ding on the bottom (if it is DRY), the others I would not.
Credit won't replace the useless cells that you can have no faith in. Give Amy options and let her think on it, she cannot make decisions though, she would have to clear it upstairs with management. Offering Options & Solutions is GOOD & Proactive and people do appreciate that.

They are only 2 bateries, the one with the top dent, and the one with the bottom dent.

What should we expect in term of anomalies with batteries like that?.

• Lower performance or capacity?
  • Danger of dysfunction?
  • Danger of catastrophic failure?
  • Danger of unbalanced package and affecting the other cells_?
Lets say that i dont want them to go to waste and put them in a shed with other shitty bateries, what the worse that i should expect?. It would be kind of painfull to let them go :(

Last edited:
They are only 2 bateries, the one with the top dent, and the one with the bottom dent.
What should we expect in term of anomalies with batteries like that?.
  • Lower performance or capacity?
  • Danger of dysfunction?
  • Danger of catastrophic failure?
  • Danger of unbalanced package and affecting the other cells_?
Lets say that i dont want them to go to waste and put them in a shed with other shitty bateries, what the worse that i should expect?. It would be kind of painfull to let them go :(
Internal damage can result in any number of problems, up to and including thermal breakdown.

Update:.

As expected, the shipping company wasnt responsible and they didnt cover the damages.

Fortunately Amy offered to send additional 2 x replacement batteries in our next purchase, so its a good solution for both of us :)

Back