diy solar

diy solar

Xiaoxiang APK for JBD BMS unreliable

seedywee

My JBD 8S 100A BMS still seems to be running OK for over a year now. I say "seems" because it's become increasingly difficult to use the Bluetooth module and xiaoxiang apk.

Starting some months ago, the Android app would occasionally struggle to connect and making adjustments became hit-and-miss. The situation has slowly deteriorated until now, when a usable connection happens very rarely.

I've reloaded v3.1.1026 several times and removed and replaced both ends of the connector cable. I have two Androids and both show the same issues. Is there anything else I could try? Is it possible that the Bluetooth module is failing?

Thanks!

It probably is failing. It is a somewhat standard bluetooth module EXCEPT IT USES 11V power supply from the BMS.
You can also connect via RS485 and a cheap adapter to a computer if that port is populated on your BMS.

Thank you for your reply. I notice that the description for the Sriko unit says "Type: LTO."

My battery is LFP - would that be OK?

With the forum's help, I've now ordered a replacement Bluetooth module from Overkill Solar.

Thanks!

i have these same problems. i have 2 samsung phones and both don't work. i have tried several times. i then tried a samsung table and it will work but i doubt the data. i have a smart app and both don't match. i get data from the inverter and all 3 show different results.

In my experience, solid state devices either work or they don't - there's no in between. But a knowledgeable friend has noticed in a photo of the Bluetooth radio that there's a crystal in one corner of the PCB and notes that such components may be subject to slow deterioration.

Accordingly, I've ordered a replacement Bluetooth module from Overkill, which is cheaper than buying from JBD (!).

He also said that switchmode electronics do make radio noise which can extend up into the 2.4GHz region. He suggested trying the Bluetooth with MPPT modules and any other potentially interfering sources switched off. In my case, this didn't make any difference.

Last edited:
Did the new BT module resolve the issue?
I have connection issues with every app I tested, used to work fine.

My new BT module has not yet arrived from the US. I'll post the result when I get it.

OK, the new Bluetooth module finally arrived from the US, but its installation failed to fix the communication problem.
So, I still can't talk to my JBD BMS.

Anyone been able to get that app to work on Android 12 or higher? Only works on Android 10 for me.

It did not work with android 12 at first for me, but a few weeks later it started working, but it is kinda funky if it sees and hooks up to the bms. I have android 13 now, I need to test it again.

I'd like to try the new Overkill Solar Android app but, being allergic to Google, I'd need the *.apk.

Anyone know where I could find that?

Back