diy solar

diy solar

XW+ Pulsing with Air Fryer Load

hogback

I get that the load is resistive, but the sound from the xw is quite pronounced, and I'm worried that it's causing excessive wear to the inverter. Should I not worry? It's an 1800W unit, and even pulses on heat-up, which I think is silly. It's stated it's for more even heat, which could have been had with a different element imo. Once in awhile I run my 4kW 240V coffee roaster at less than 100% power, and the pid pulses don't make the same racket. We use the air fryer for extended (hour) times regularly.

I notice some pulsing of the XW's control frequencies. At certain times it can turn into a sort of waugh waugh waugh that I can actually hear in odd places, like in the coil whine of a PC power supply across the house.

I don't worry that it's gonna hurt it. But I am curious if we can ever smooth out these things with rotational mass.

It's a current model Breville air-fryer. I could understand some pulsing with a crummy pid in on-off mode for temp regulation when at/near temp, but the pulsing during warm up is poor design in my opinion.

I wonder if a 240V European model would cause the same audible effect from the XW?

I think for now I'm just going to use it and see what happens. My biggest issue is my own anxiety with the wear, and that that if it fails before too long, I'll always wonder if it was the oven, and probably blame it in any case because that's just what we humans do, unfortunately.

It's a current model Breville air-fryer. I could understand some pulsing with a crummy pid in on-off mode for temp regulation when at/near temp, but the pulsing during warm up is poor design in my opinion.

I wonder if a 240V European model would cause the same audible effect from the XW?

I think for now I'm just going to use it and see what happens. My biggest issue is my own anxiety with the wear, and that that if it fails before too long, I'll always wonder if it was the oven, and probably blame it in any case because that's just what we humans do, unfortunately.
I have a couple different air fryers I can try on my Victron 48/1200, not a Schneider but prob just as perturbed with draws like that.

i wonder if the air fryer uses an SCR to reduce power, same with a typical hair dryer on low setting. it only pulls power from one side of sine wave output, which causes the transformer to saturate and draw a lot of current, also may mess with voltage regulation. i think it stresses the power caps in the inverter the most, they have to absorb the current spikes. a line filter may help smooth out the sine wave and lower stress on the inverter

Last edited:
I don't have a solution other than a different air fryer or rewiring the one you've got.

My ovens/air friers run on such a slow PWM dreque that I can hear hr XW pulse in and off, but the on/off cycles are like 20 seconds to 3 minutes (once heated up)
I wonder if yours is cycling on and off at grid frequency or running half wave causing problems like rusty rotors points to.

Back