diy solar

diy solar

ZKETECH EBC-A40L 40 amps 10ga (3.2mm) wire too small? and RC plugs for it?

gotbeans

Solar Cooking Beans
This device is meant to test/charge batteries which means it's running like 10 hours or even more at a time.
It is rated for 40 amps but it has a 10 gauge wire. (3.2mm)
It gets warm and I've been running it at 34 amps.. but not hot.. warm.
I know all the ratings all over the internet say 30amps max for 10ga which is why I wonder.
Looking up metric ratings (for that size of wire in mm) they seem to recommend even lower amperage..
The connections are going to support 40amp? (picture 1)

I know someone's going to come in here and say "it doesn't melt itself until 50amps!" or something but just curious what people think about the 40 amps

Also they must exist, what are the plugs for an RC car for 40 amps or some other type of plugs so I can plug different connectors into the end of the wire?
In picture 2 you can see some but only 1 is rated at 40 amps for a split second then it's continuous current is 20 amps

Attachments

• 1702069680832.png
    1702069680832.png
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1702069748799.png
    1702069748799.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 8
Hi Gotbeans
Did hear mention of the fact that the wires are a bit skimpy...if they are easy to replace I’d go for it... can’t help you with the RC thing.. good luck..?

Hi Gotbeans
Did hear mention of the fact that the wires are a bit skimpy...if they are easy to replace I’d go for it... can’t help you with the RC thing.. good luck..?
so far not too hot except the solder joint gets super hot I'm thinking I'll just put a massive glob of solder on it for now
thanks though.. Hopefully someone knows some plugs to switch out the heads to the leads

found some quick connectors

I'm surprised nobody looks at this.
@timselectric maybe you feel like answering.. This uses 10 gauge wire for 40 amps continuous current. This goes against typical charts. Are all of these only based on 120v ac?
I see silicone 200c (temperature) wire can do even up to 60 amps or whatever at 10 gauge..
Should I follow this chart for batteries too? If not, why is it followed for these types of charging devices that are left on for days at a time at max lol
batteries don't even run as heavily as these chargers do

i jsut finished capacity testing my calbs and ran the same tester at 40 amps for charge and discharge. roughly 10 hours per cell. cables got warm, but not so hot that the silicone jackets were in any danger. YMMV

i jsut finished capacity testing my calbs and ran the same tester at 40 amps for charge and discharge. roughly 10 hours per cell. cables got warm, but not so hot that the silicone jackets were in any danger. YMMV
Yea I've had it on non stop since this thread was made, almost a month now. Testing many batteries.
I'm sure the solder joints are different in every machine though but doesn't really matter there

Yea I've had it on non stop since this thread was made, almost a month now. Testing many batteries.
I'm sure the solder joints are different in every machine though but doesn't really matter there
thats about how long mine ran though there were periods when it was idling as i was asleep and did not wake up to swap cells.

I'd say teach the kids to switch the battery.. but they're gonna short it o_O
2nd family, 56 with a 12, and 13 year old daughters. so yeah I am trying to build the system so that its KISS and the kids can keep the cabin when i pass on. redundancies on everything and the battereis far enough away from the cabin that if something does happen the cabin will be safe. but I would guess in honesty by the time they get older they will have no interest in it as all the younger ones want is the newest playstation DS or other handheld mind melter.

Yea if they don't have interest by ~16 years old they'll likely never have interest.
Everyone I know whom has interest in electronics or general taking stuff apart had it when they were like 6 or even younger lol

Back