diy solar

diy solar

12V inverter with low consumption at idle

That tool/site looks at the distance which many amp rating charts do not. Having oversized conductors isn't a bad thing, it might cost a little more, and in some cases is preference. Thicker wire will run a little cooler even at short distances with constant amperage flowing.

If you want some affordable nice pre-made wires I have used Spartan a couple of times now.

So to be safe, I should go with 2 AWG.....But not 2/0, right?

As @chrisski said the Victron is a decent inverter. I have the 24v version and I can easily start up my fridge and a small pump with it. The eco mode only pulls 1-2 watts and I think ? I used #4 for the wire from that batteries to the inverter. If you’re running 12v you probably need larger wire.

I’m using the same 24 volt for a small A/C unit…and 4 ga is as big as will fit..( on mine) ..I tried to get 2 ga to work… but it’s a no go…
I think your right about a 12 volt needing bigger wire..I have to say it’s a great little unit…if they ever come out with a 1600 or 2000 VA like it , I’m getting one of those too…

I’m using the same 24 volt for a small A/C unit…and 4 ga is as big as will fit..( on mine) ..I tried to get 2 ga to work… but it’s a no go…
I think your right about a 12 volt needing bigger wire..I have to say it’s a great little unit…if they ever come out with a 1600 or 2000 VA like it , I’m getting one of those too…
For their 12V/110V 1200W, Victron specifies 2 AWG on the manual....

For their 12V/110V 1200W, Victron specifies 2 AWG on the manual....
I have that inverter. I think 2AWG is the max that will physically fit. I can’t recall exactly but I did use 2AWG and I don’t think there was much room to go anything thicker.

Would it be "safe" to use 2 AWG wires with the 12V/1200W Giandel inverter, knowing it won't be running continuously (the sump pump usually kicks in every 10min for ~30sec in the worst case scenario)? And in that case, what fuse should I use?
Or are 2/0 AWG definitely required?
And by the way, it's not about the cost, but more about dealing with thick wires if it's not absolutely necessary

Last edited:
Yeah, 2 AWG would be fine, if you find the wires get hot or you suspect you need larger you can always change them.

Once you get it up and going, I would suggest a thermal review, use a thermal camera to check for any hot spots and determine if you've got any areas of concern. I've been running my 1200W Victron on 4 AWG for a year now and it's fine, however, I'm not running a sump pump so I will only ever have light electronics loads on it.

Here is a link to a thermal imager if you don't have one or might be interested in getting one.

You can typically find them used or on offerup for much less. This has been an invaluable tool for me every time I provision a Solar system I use this to check for loose connections and or to review existing systems I check temperatures and hot spots to see if there are any concerns.

Reactions: JRH
I did a chat with Giandel and asked why they ship their 12V/1200W inverter with 5 AWG cables....They told me itwas tested, and if properly tighten, they are all good being only 2 ft long
Very surprising...........and dangerous it seems !!!

Last edited:
I did a chat with Giandel and asked why they ship their 12V/1200W inverter with 5 AWG cables....They told me itwas tested, and if properly tighten, they are all good being only 2 ft long
Very surprising...........and dangerous it seems !!!

For that short of a distance, they're probably right. Running your actual loads and checking the thermals will be the only way to know for certain if you can safely run your configuration.

Back