diy solar

diy solar

18kpv Issues

Exactly, a 2 ton should be nothing to start. And it started it without a problem when the "off grid mode" was DISABLED. When it is enabled it wouldn't even start that. You can slowly roll on to capacity, but surge current is boinked bad if it's in "off grid mode"1000001138.jpg

I’m saying there is a problem somewhere. This is not the first time I have dealt with something like this. I have made this video showing it can start a 5ton. So there’s more to your problem then just a 2 ton not starting. With Grid assist you can run anything even if there’s a problem. The power is infinite. With 1 12kw inverter 50amps there is a limit (offgrid mode).

Double neutral ground bonds could also be a problem. Unbalanced loads can be a problem. A lot of things to look at.

OK, let's say there is a problem. Why does the system work great with "off grid mode" disabled? Like I stated earlier, we have over 4500 watts of loads running on it now and it starts a 4 ton without any issues. The problem is something in the firmware that's taking away a significant amount of surge capacity when "off grid mode" is enabled (this switch also changed it from EPS to consumption).

OK, let's say there is a problem. Why does the system work great with "off grid mode" disabled? Like I stated earlier, we have over 4500 watts of loads running on it now and it starts a 4 ton without any issues. The problem is something in the firmware that's taking away a significant amount of surge capacity when "off grid mode" is enabled (this switch also changed it from EPS to consumption).
With off grid mode disabled you have grid assist. That mean grid will help with surges. If it was a firmware problem you wouldn’t be the only on here complaining or looking for a solution trust me

Remember when a non inverter type air conditioner (condenser) starts, even after installing an Easystart and new capacitor on it, you still have the indoor blower at the evaporator. That also has a capacitor that you need to check or replace. Many of those blowers are 120 volt so it throws a wrench a your phase balance, they pull a surprisingly large amount of current to get that wheel up to speed. I run a “delay on make” timer at outside unit in series on one leg of the 24 volt signal line. I set it for about 5 seconds. Now they don’t start at the same moment.

. EvertechPRO TD69 Time Delay on... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R31646Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:
You're a smart dude my friend. We killed grid power and it went straight back to sucking.

There's a ticket already at SS with pictures etc. I also DM'd you yesterday with the name of the account and device number.

Sorry everyone for the confusion

Something to consider when having A/C start issues whether grid or inverter powered. If the A/C starts at first then overloads on the power supply side of the electric system when restarting the A/C, the problem may be the condensing unit controls. When the A/C is running, and the thermostat demand has been met the compressor should stop and the condensing fan should continue running for a preset time period (off-delay function) to condense the remaining gas. At the same time a second function (on-delay) prevents compressor short cycling by opening the compressor start circuit for a predetermined delay period. A failure in either of these controls can create an extended hard start condition as the compressor is fighting high back pressure and possible liquid slugs while starting from zero speed. Even a soft-start would be taxed to get it going. Note: I am not a refrigeration tech, but I certainly know how my super-efficient condensing unit works, yours is probably similar.

diy solar

diy solar
Back