diy solar

diy solar

2-280ah 12v eco worthy lifepo4 install in motorhome diy questions

LearningCurve

Swapping in 2 lifepo4 280 ah 12 v ecoworthy batteries for a couple 6v golf cart batteries ran in series. Will need to run these new ones in parallel, purchased a 60 mppt powmr controller and not sure how I do this. Right now its set up with the golf cart batteries to charge when I either run the engine at idle or fire up the 7000onan on board generator. Theres a power switch box and 2 iota 45 things On one side in my rear storage compartment and on the ither side is a 1000w inverter that powers a few outlets when I flip the switch on. I really need some guidance here. I take it I cant just take out the golf cart batteries and swap in the new ones. Where do I wire in my controller and any recommendations on where to buy 1200 watts of solar panels to charge the batts? I'll cross my fingers that someone stumbles upon this post that knows exactly what I need to do and takes the time to tell me. Ive been running unleaded gas since Spring and I am exhausted beyond belief. Whoever decided that fossil fuels were the way to go must not have had to breathe in the exhaust from it. My wife and pets and I have had ENOUGH and I probably could have bought a top tier solar system array and have had it installed for the amount of $ spent on gas the past 9 months. Better late (to solar power) than never, I guess??‍♂️

Swapping in 2 lifepo4 280 ah 12 v ecoworthy batteries for a couple 6v golf cart batteries ran in series. Will need to run these new ones in parallel, purchased a 60 mppt powmr controller and not sure how I do this. Right now its set up with the golf cart batteries to charge when I either run the engine at idle or fire up the 7000onan on board generator. Theres a power switch box and 2 iota 45 things On one side in my rear storage compartment and on the ither side is a 1000w inverter that powers a few outlets when I flip the switch on. I really need some guidance here. I take it I cant just take out the golf cart batteries and swap in the new ones. Where do I wire in my controller and any recommendations on where to buy 1200 watts of solar panels to charge the batts? I'll cross my fingers that someone stumbles upon this post that knows exactly what I need to do and takes the time to tell me. Ive been running unleaded gas since Spring and I am exhausted beyond belief. Whoever decided that fossil fuels were the way to go must not have had to breathe in the exhaust from it. My wife and pets and I have had ENOUGH and I probably could have bought a top tier solar system array and have had it installed for the amount of $ spent on gas the past 9 months. Better late (to solar power) than never, I guess??‍♂️
Best approach is to go on YouTube and watch as many videos as you can... it’s the best way to learn and everything you need to know is on there.. plus YOU will understand what you need to do every step of the way... it’s how I started and learned... check out Will Prowse YouTube channel.. he started this forum.. good luck.. def bad breathing in all those petroleum fumes..

first thing people need to know to help you is............. what RV type you got. and it's age
if it is pre-2020 then the installed chargers will not totally support Lithium
Motorhomes may need more modifications than a travel trailer

adding solar will help ... but may NOT be the total replacement you think it will be
depends on where you camp and how many trees.

Will Prowse who started this forum lived in RV for years so a lot of his early videos will be very relevant to your situation..

=======
I take it I cant just take out the golf cart batteries and swap in the new ones.

With lithium batteries as drop in, I would separate those from the chargers.

1) Flip the Circuit Breaker on the AC--> DC Converter, shut the switch to the off position, or unplug the converter. This is normally located hidden behind a panel by the Circuit breaker box.
-If you are lucky enough to have a lithium compatible converter, then you can turn it on if you ever need to charge your batteries.
-If you don't have a lithium compatible converter, really need to get one. At some point you'll have cloudy days and will be low on energy.

2) Shut off the DC--> DC Converter from the alternator/house battery to the RV. I'm not that familiar with these, but there could be a remote off switch, or there will be wires going into it and out of it at some point. I'd lean on removing the wires to not leave a hot wire in the system.
======
Now that the lithium can't be charged with the wrong voltage, see if the batteries will connect with the same terminals, or if you need to remove them and crimp new ones. There's a few different terminals, and odds are the old battery does not match the new ones, and if it did, you are luckier than I was.
======
Now you can set up the solar. Will does have a lot, and if you look at the link at the top of the page that says "DIY SOLAR SCHEMATICS" those will help you with a setup.
======
I'd also place a shunt on board to track power usage.
======
recommendations on where to buy 1200 watts of solar panels to charge the batts
I'd first think about where you are going to place these. I have 1650 watts of panels on my fifth wheel roof on two charge controllers with one SCC set up 3S2P with 600 watts of panels and the other 2S3P with 1050 watts of panels. Spacing and shading is huge issue on an RV roof. IME max production at the shortest day of the year with the sun low to the ground is 1/5 panel rated wattage. low sun angle and shading from vents and AC units kills production.

If lucky you can get panels on Craigslist locally, but I caution you about building a system around one small portion of a smoking good deal you got. I got my first panel at a super price, and spent a lot of time trying to get a good deal on a matching 8.
==========
Where do I wire in my controller
As close to the battery as possible. In my signature block, I have shared my build.

I do recommend the controller interfaces with a temperature monitor that will stop charging when the battery gets to freezing. Charging at freezing will kill this. I'm unfamiliar if the Ecoworthy has a BMS that does this or if it has a built in heater. The BMS should not be the primary method of cold disconnect.
==========

I appreciate that you may have already bought the eco worthy batteries... but have you thought of getting a portable solar generator with portable solar panels... perfect for an RV..no skills required.. just plug n play... just an idea.

first thing people need to know to help you is............. what RV type you got. and it's age
if it is pre-2020 then the installed chargers will not totally support Lithium
Motorhomes may need more modifications than a travel trailer

adding solar will help ... but may NOT be the total replacement you think it will be
depends on where you camp and how many trees.
2000 Newmar Mountainaire 37'er motorhome

I appreciate that you may have already bought the eco worthy batteries... but have you thought of getting a portable solar generator with portable solar panels... perfect for an RV..no skills required.. just plug n play... just an idea.
It is my philosophy that if a plug n play system costs x amount of dollars, then purchasing the components separately should be a way to save money. I'm a dedicated DIYer. By dedicated I mean I probably end up costing myself more money when factoring my time and effort into these projects but the learning is priceless.

Back