diy solar

diy solar

200 ah Lithium battery help for running inverter - Renogy 200 or SOK 206?

LaneW

I‘m upgrading my Lance 825 truck camper with lithium, additional solar and an inverter. For batteries, I am looking at Renogy’s 200 ah and SOKs 206, but I may not have space for the Renogy. I am adding a 200watt inverter - considering Renogy

I am talking with a guy that seems quite knowledgeable on line and he is saying that I can’t run the inverter off the SOK because it does not supply 100 amps of continuous current - if I understand him correctly. Renogy is telling me that is fine. I don’t know who to believe.

Does this guys statement make any sense?

Thanks

Renogy doesn't make a 200W inverter so I'm guessing you mean the 2000W model? A 2000 watt inverter requires a battery with a high maximum discharge current. The two batteries you selected have different maximum continuous voltage:

Renogy 200Ah Battery
Maximum Continuous Discharging Current: 200 A

SOK 206Ah Battery
Maximum continuous discharge current: 100A

Of those two choice, you will need the Renogy battery to run that inverter. Or you could purchase 2x SOK 100 Ah batteries which would double their maximum discharge rate.

Last edited:
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, do you really need 100 amp all at once?

Third, I’d prefer an SOK battery. I just got the 12 volt 200 amp hour from currentconnected.com. It’s pretty sweet and user serviceable

Rudy - I DID mean to type 2000, not 200Watt! And thanks for your reply. So you are confirming that the SOK will NOT power the 2000 w inverter, as I was told? If so, I'm really glad I asked.

Bluedog225: Thanks for the welcome. I don't know that I really need 100 amps all at once - thats what I'm trying to confirm. I, too, would prefer the SOK battery, and would rather install a single battery than two 100 ah, if possible. My compartment space is really limited and the Renogy is going to be a tight fit.

But curious, why do you say you prefer SOK over Renogy?

Reputation, quality components, warranty (May depend on where you buy it…current connected offers 10 years), anecdotal customer service stories, will prose reviews, lack of issues seen here over several years.

Last edited:
Rudy - I DID mean to type 2000, not 200Watt! And thanks for your reply. So you are confirming that the SOK will NOT power the 2000 w inverter, as I was told? If so, I'm really glad I asked.

Bluedog225: Thanks for the welcome. I don't know that I really need 100 amps all at once - thats what I'm trying to confirm. I, too, would prefer the SOK battery, and would rather install a single battery than two 100 ah, if possible. My compartment space is really limited and the Renogy is going to be a tight fit.

But curious, why do you say you prefer SOK over Renogy?
The SOK spec sheet shows that it would not support the continuous output needed for a 2000 watt inverter. But I would ask Current Connected or contact SOK if you want confirmation because I don't have direct experience. I recently ordered a SOK battery for my build, but I'm not planning to draw that kind of power.

Short answer is that the SOK can provide UP TO about 1200w of power wheras the Renogy can provide UP TO about 2400w of power. If you can fit the Renogy in the compartment and want to be able to feed a 2000w inverter, go with the Renogy.

Granted, the SOK are a very well regarded battery, but the physics of getting 2 in your space will be priority.

OK, thanks. I am working on measurements. Would you say that, IF I can get 2 100 ah in the space, that would be better than a single Renogy 200 ah?

Thanks to those of you that have been helpful on this. I have decided to go with two 100 ah SOKs based on your comments and to avoid any question of continuous output. Now I need to pick a 2000 watt inverter, and I am getting conflicting info on whether a 2000 watt inverter, with these two batteries, will power my microwave which is 900 watt but input power of 1350 watt. Please share your thoughts on capacity.

Thank you.

conflicting info on whether a 2000 watt inverter, with these two batteries, will power my microwave which is 900 watt but input power of 1350 watt. Please share your thoughts on capacity.
On capacity, 200Ah of battery will likely be a decision you are happy with(especially if this involves making a wife happy).

If you're in this camper for any extended amount of time, you'll want to get a better inverter, possibly a low frequency one that will help starting up items like your microwave. Look at how much idle current the inverters use, especially if you expect to struggle to charge these 2 big batteries.

You did not go into how much solar you intend to have or how you will be charging these 2 batteries. Wondering if you have that thought out well too.

Thank you. So helpful. To answer your question - Whether I have it thought out WELL may be a matter of opinion :) but....I have just one 100 watt solar panel. Am considering adding 100 or 200 watt at some point. I am planning to install the combined MPPT/DC-DC charger that Renogy makes, 30 amp probably, thinking that it will assist with both truck charging (200 amp alternator) and solar, to the extent that I can get from the one panel.

We dont use the microwave much, and are not concerned about powering the air conditioner with this. I don't know about the low frequency inverters or idle current you mention or how to find that out. Sorry, a bit over my head there.....

Microwave will pull max about 150 amps. I have and recommend GoPower 2000w sine wave inverter. Not the lowest cost option. Just a dedicated inverter.

Runs the Dometic 1100w MW just fine, same as utility connected. Will start and run the 13.5 A/C just fine also. (not both together)

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not looking for the cheapest, I just want to make sure I get it right the first time around. I will look at GoPower. I have also been looking at Renogy's 2000 watt and the Giandel 2200. What I am unsure of with any of them is surge, or start up capacity - I don't know how to figure that out.

Your GoPower startes up a microwave OK? Mine draws 1350 watts. Thanks!

I know I’m going to get flamed for this but here we go. I have this inverter in my travel trailer. I have had it in there since 2016 with zero issues. I power my factory installed microwave a 32” monitor and Dish satellite system. Also charge devices and have ran compressors/power tools from it. originally it was powered by 2 6v Costco GC10 batteries. It is now powered by 1 12.8v 300ah Chins Lithium. I charge that with 2 100w Grape solar panels and a Victron 75/15. When that don’t keep up I also have a Victron blue charger 30 amp and a 100amp PowerMax for fast charging off a 2800w remote start Champion generator.

WZRELB 1500W Continuous Pure Sine Wave Inverter DC 12V to AC 120V Car Power Inverter with Dual AC Outlets https://a.co/d/bkYiUOa

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not looking for the cheapest, I just want to make sure I get it right the first time around. I will look at GoPower. I have also been looking at Renogy's 2000 watt and the Giandel 2200. What I am unsure of with any of them is surge, or start up capacity - I don't know how to figure that out.

Your GoPower startes up a microwave OK? Mine draws 1350 watts. Thanks!
I use to have a Giandlel marketed under another name of MicroSolar in my last RV. It was a great inverter had no issues. I still have one in the 600w size powering my Shipping container off 4 gc10 cart batteries and 2 100w grape soar panels.

Back