diy solar

diy solar

200w solar system expectations...

Have you had the chance to re-connect and check your panels yet? Any change in the reported amperage output? Curious as to how it's performing now.

Unfortunately you are always going to be fighting the weather. I'm real similar to you where I live and 4 months a year I get about 1% efficiency out of my panels due to clouds and rain. :(
I haven't managed to get up to investigate yet but will make it happen this week... I just mentioned to conquistador that after the system cutting out at rock bottom 12.2v last night the panels have only got it up to 13.1v over the course of the day.

Wow 1% sounds horrific... I may be joining you in the 1% club over the winter... If I'm lucky!!

Will report back with more data... I've been out all day today so not seen any info... But on the plus side a WiFi unit arrived for my scc system so I can download the app and monitor remotely which I'm looking forward to setting up so I'll send some screenshots once I get it up and running ⭐

Wow this WiFi app is great l, really easy to set up and gives me the info without trying to get in behind my TV for a close up look!

This should save me getting up and down the ladder when checking the panels out individually to see if there's an issue with one of them...

The down side is the 4w going in ? but there is a massive raincloud above us right now. Will update with more info soon...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-080203.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-080203.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 8
Any thoughts on these battery settings would be really appreciated...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-082241.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-082241.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20220601-082246.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-082246.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 3
Possibly captured an issue on the WiFi app... It was only temporary (seconds) but here are some shots...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-082809.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-082809.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20220601-082739.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-082739.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 2
I recommend you set it to the built in sealed lead acid mode settings. Only if you can find any specific recommendations from the battery manufacturer should you deviate from the default sealed settings.

More specifically, you do NOT want any equalization charging at all for sealed lead acid batteries.

Diagnostic info...

Ok so just watched the input for a while on the app. When the panels has decent sun it was maintaining 100% battery at 14.1v then when a cloud came by it instantly went to 90% battery... Does this give any clues or is this normal?! I've included screenshots Screenshot_20220601-085456.jpgScreenshot_20220601-085129.jpg

I recommend you set it to the built in sealed lead acid mode settings. Only if you can find any specific recommendations from the battery manufacturer should you deviate from the default sealed settings.

More specifically, you do NOT want any equalization charging at all for sealed lead acid batteries.
Amazing thanks camelCase

Don't put too much stock in the battery percentage the charge controller gives. It's only an estimate and it won't be particularly accurate if there is a load on the system at the same time.

Don't put too much stock in the battery percentage the charge controller gives. It's only an estimate and it won't be particularly accurate if there is a load on the system at the same time.
Great I'll remove all the load and monitor!

Where I live when the clouds roll in and rain non-stop for months I'm happy to get 3% output. 10-25% is pretty generous.

I use my driveway lights project as an example a lot since I've put so much work into it. 300w of panel, MPPT and PWM controllers (mismatched panels) and I can't always generate 120Wh a day from about November to March.

Last edited:
Thanks Redneck/Crossy...

I suppose there are so many factors to it... Ironically the worst output is going to be when you need the power most ?

Drizzle/cloud in Torquay (UK) this am - 44W from 2 x 360W
Hmmm... Similar weather here today in UK and mine is reporting input of around 4watts from 300w of panels. I really want to investigate each one individually but don't want to do it in the wet...

Back