diy solar

diy solar

2024 YouTube Video Ideas

circuit breaker and fuse testing. lots of bad breakers out there and there's the debate over class T vs. ANL etc. would be cool to compare LFP vs. AGM/FLA, too (as that goes towards AIC ratings). Probably would have to run some of those tests multiple times each. Over-current as well as full short-circuit.

Also, DC-DC converters ... there are the victron 48/12's which are limited to 30 amps but there are other brands which do like 150+ amps but I don't trust them ... can they really do 150 (48v -> 12v; 150a at 12v) is the power output clean? etc...

Revamp & update your smaller system & RV setups?
I was thinking this too. I used to point a lot of folks to the www.mobile-solarpower.com videos and canned solutions. I think a lot of the products and overall system design have evolved so much that those are fairly obsolete. And, there is a lot more focus on a couple specific applications while the old solutions are presented as ways to get started and hobby garage systems.

And i hate to say it, quite a few of the recommendations include value priced equipment. I'm mostly a tier 1 snob but thats because in the long run, its too expensive not to be in terms of time and money.

A review on the 10k split phase AIO built by SRNE. Any of the clones like PowMr/Y&H would work. Price per pound, it supposedly punches above its weight, but id prefer you try it before me ?. For anyone with entry level, split phase needs beyond 6000 watts, it seems to be the next rung on the price ladder at well under $1,800.

Will, Would love to see some ideals on Solar ground mount Systems. I have been considering just doing a wood mount because I have 30
Solarever 455 watt that are huge and heavy. Most of the mounts I have seen are sketchy regarding wind loads and the cost is insanely expensive.
I went with American Ground Screws and Iron Ridge for my ground mount.

Probably not really feasible, but I'd like to see off-grid set-ups from around the world, where they all have their unique challenges and solutions.
I'm going to second this. In lieu of "around the world", maybe just around the country (USA) or even within a day's drive of LV. If you feel like driving all the way to Texas, I'm sure several of us would cover your room and board for a while. I mean, you can't move in for a year or anything ...

I have to think you could come up with some new content/ideas/perspectives. It might be a bit of a PITA but I feel like you would get a boost on your channel from that type of content.

@Will Prowse Build more solar arrays at your house in LV. Then do something neat with all the excess solar power. Just for the hell of it / youtube content. You probably got space for at least 40KW of solar. I did PM you with this idea a while ago but you probably did not see it.

Small off grid systems that us old f**t's can pick up the parts. My back can't do 90# server rack batteries. As for hybrid inverters can't pick them up either. Going to be tough picking up a 24vdc 4kw inverter as it is. Maybe my 60 year old son in law with the bum shoulder can do it.

Probably not really feasible, but I'd like to see off-grid set-ups from around the world, where they all have their unique challenges and solutions.
Good idea!
Try to emphasize and highlite the global applications of solar (it's not limited to the US SW) I feel this international perspective is often missing on this forum.

Small off grid systems that us old f**t's can pick up the parts. My back can't do 90# server rack batteries. As for hybrid inverters can't pick them up either. Going to be tough picking up a 24vdc 4kw inverter as it is. Maybe my 60 year old son in law with the bum shoulder can do it.
Weight was definitely a factor when designing my system.
Other than the solar panels. (44 lbs.)
The heaviest thing is 27 lbs.

Testing things to failure / torturing them..
What happens to an overcharged prismatic cell hit with some lead at a high velocity? What if a flame is introduced?
Fuses, breakers, crimpers.
Destructive and what not to do videos.

Lifepo4 capacity tests at various temperatures and loads.

High voltage batteries.

Refresher on setting up a BMS (lots of posts with poor settings)

Open loop vs Closed loop showdown. 2 identical systems...

Long term panel angle test.

Testing of Midnite, Schneider, Victron, SRNE.

Solar water heating.

That's all I have for now.

@Will Prowse
How about revisiting some of your older equipment recommendations and rate which have stood the test of time. We are all familiar with manufacturers who supply good quality initially until they get a few good reviews and greater market share, then start cutting corners. Also start a running survey of vendors who offer excellent customer service (or not). There are a lot of companies out there that are making claims about their customer service that doesn't align with actual customer experience. There is a company advertising on this forum whose ratio of unfavorable to favorable comments is about 9:1.

Interviews with real experts, engineers, scientists, those with DATA AND FACTS and experience in small and budget friendly to as large as DIY's can afford? in the various areas that these forums cover.

The biggest frustration I experience in these forums is the guessing, the never ending assumptions, the lack of data / facts and thereafter the conspiracy theories and the topic drifts and the drift from DIY and then more conspiracy theories and assumptions.

If a topic goes sideways, get some experts to discuss and get the facts straight vs vague annecdotal flawed recollections and then tribalism.

How about updates on some of your older projects, like still working or failed.
CHEAP system for a work shed. Lights and battery chargers for portable power tools, no inverter, just buck/boost converter

PV disconnect switch - When, where, how & why are they used. Alternatives?

Are they needed for power stations? DIY (12v sok, 800va victron inv, 100|20 victron scc, 300w pv), AC200max, Ecoflow, Jackery, etc.

Grounding small portable power stations, small portable (standard al frame) pv arrays & portable (small) generators: Honda 2200i, etc

Last edited:
I like deep dive into over current protection, love to see some high amp faults and how breakers/fuses handle it, lots of sparks, maybe melted 4/0.

That and the “will it start” for high induction load inverter show down.

Will, Would love to see some ideals on Solar ground mount Systems. I have been considering just doing a wood mount because I have 30
Solarever 455 watt that are huge and heavy. Most of the mounts I have seen are sketchy regarding wind loads and the cost is insanely expensive.
Check out the new Chiko Groundflex (https://signaturesolar.com/chiko-groundflex-u2v-solar-panel-ground-mount-kit-ground-screws/) or check out APA Solar Racking. APA will quote a system that meets all of your wind and snow loads per your building codes.

Back