diy solar

diy solar

2400 sqft cabin - Need advice

Agreed, energy Independance has it’s own value.

Even ignoring that, it’s not a question of IF you will save money but WHEN.

5 years, 10 years or more doesn’t matter in the big picture to me.

And that’s assuming the cost of electricity does NOT increase.

Which is a bad bet IMHO.

Wish me luck guys.... I just put in my order from Alibaba.com. Hopefully will arrive in the next 2-3 months.

2 x DEYE sun 8K inverters - $2080 each
6 x 48V 200ah powerwalls - $2150 each
1 battery combiner box - $320
Shipping from China to Tulsa,OK - $610

I'm not sure how much tariffs etc will be... I was told about 18% but planning on it being as much as 25%.

Last edited:
Have no idea why so many of you want to take a perfectly good roof and mess it up with Solar panels ... YOU have a ton of land around you it seems -- do a ground mount ... Ground mounts are easy to repair - easy to install -- easy to add to --- //// as for the Powerwall -- I will be very interested as to what they actually deliver for that price -- that price really seems a little too good to be true but things change by the hour .. I would though make sure that every component that is delivered is checked for authenticity and I would do my OWN capacity tests of the Powerwall prior to installation -- just making sure that you're getting what you're paying for ....

so we are starting to stockpile LiFePO4's from China - something we normally don't like to do -- but we all have a feeling that the current administration and China is going to get in some dumbass pissing contest and tariff the hell out of the LiFePO4s in order to make us try to use a different source .... hopefully not ... who knows ...

Wish me luck guys.... I just put in my order from Alibaba.com. Hopefully will arrive in the next 2-3 months.

2 x DEYE sun 8K inverters - $2080 each
6 x 48V 200ah powerwalls - $2150 each
1 battery combiner box - $320
Shipping from China to Tulsa,OK - $610

I'm not sure how much tariffs etc will be... I was told about 18% but planning on it being as much as 25%.

can you send me the link to the 48V 200ah powerwalls - $2150 each ... I can at least do some internally checking on the company ...

so we are starting to stockpile LiFePO4's from China - something we normally don't like to do -- but we all have a feeling that the current administration and China is going to get in some dumbass pissing contest and tariff the hell out of the LiFePO4s in order to make us try to use a different source .... hopefully not ... who knows ...
I have the same feeling, but business always seems to figure out a way around these issues. I can definitely see someone setting up a facility in Canada or Mexico and doing minor assembly work to change the part from Made in China, to Made in Mexico/Canada from parts sourced from China. Or just driving them across the border without saying anything. I am hoping the USA will take a share of LiFePo production, but there will have to be some serious subsidies to compete against the Chinese.

Have no idea why so many of you want to take a perfectly good roof and mess it up with Solar panels ... YOU have a ton of land around you it seems -- do a ground mount ... Ground mounts are easy to repair - easy to install -- easy to add to --- //// as for the Powerwall -- I will be very interested as to what they actually deliver for that price -- that price really seems a little too good to be true but things change by the hour .. I would though make sure that every component that is delivered is checked for authenticity and I would do my OWN capacity tests of the Powerwall prior to installation -- just making sure that you're getting what you're paying for ....

Good question on the roof....

My thinking is as follows....

1) I have a single slope roof that will be facing south, so it's already a good setup
2) Since it's a new build, I can put on a standing seam metal roof so I won't have to make any penetrations into the roof (but will cost an additional $3-4k in roofing materials)
3) I'm hoping that the panels will shade the roof potentially cutting down on my AC needs which will be my biggest electricity load
4) Since this is a vacation home, I won't be around 24/7, so being on the roof would make it harder for someone to tamper with the panels
5) Slightly cheaper I'm guessing but maybe a wash if you include the more expensive roof I'm going to use.
6) My land is mostly forested, so I'd have to clear out an area to make room for the panels.

I'm not completely sold on putting it on the roof, and have been toying with a ground array, but the reasons above is why I'm leaning towards a roof mount.... Change my mind!!!

Cost was the determining factor for me. I have two acres, but almost all of it is covered in trees so the roof mount on the garage elevates the panels 12 feet (every bit helps) and is much easier than clearing more trees. Plus I doubt I could build a decent ground mount system for 9 250w panels for less than the $265 I spent on rails.

Good question on the roof....

My thinking is as follows....

1) I have a single slope roof that will be facing south, so it's already a good setup
2) Since it's a new build, I can put on a standing seam metal roof so I won't have to make any penetrations into the roof (but will cost an additional $3-4k in roofing materials)
3) I'm hoping that the panels will shade the roof potentially cutting down on my AC needs which will be my biggest electricity load
4) Since this is a vacation home, I won't be around 24/7, so being on the roof would make it harder for someone to tamper with the panels
5) Slightly cheaper I'm guessing but maybe a wash if you include the more expensive roof I'm going to use.
6) My land is mostly forested, so I'd have to clear out an area to make room for the panels.

I'm not completely sold on putting it on the roof, and have been toying with a ground array, but the reasons above is why I'm leaning towards a roof mount.... Change my mind!!!

actually very good reasons to ROOF it ... I am sooo use to being out here in the desert I keep forgetting about Trees and Thieves ....

O nice pic , that’s a great roof for solar , it’s the only way to go if you don’t get a lot of snow.
I wanted a steal roof but my cabin has 60 + square of roofing on it .
as it was we nailed the last shingle on the day before we where snowed out for the season .
We dam near froze to death the last week we where up there
how are you dealing with the exuberant price of building material?
every thing is 2 or 3 times the price it should be in my area
I’m buy pine 3 ply ply wood for 85 bucks a sheet and 2x4s are 10$
I’m sure the lumber for the roof will be 100 bucks a board ☹️

Last edited:
Is $2150 a DDP price, or just price prior to shipping and duty?
Shipping for my entire order was $610 which is 6 batteries and 2 inverters and it's to Oklahoma (I didn't even know there was a port here in Tulsa). I expect duty to be an additional 25%.

Shipping for my entire order was $610 which is 6 batteries and 2 inverters and it's to Oklahoma (I didn't even know there was a port here in Tulsa). I expect duty to be an additional 25%.
Thanks, Scorch. Looks like you will rely on the shipping carrier to do customs clearance and calculate the duty. I am pretty interested in the battery and quoting the manufacturer the DDP cost.

Mini-split is absolutely the way to go. You may want to consider 2 smaller multi-head systems vs one large multi-head system. If one fails you still have something and two systems allows more flex for head placement
Inverter start is very expensive. Your 10 second surge estimate is very long. More like a second or two max for peak then it fades. Your system would easily handle the inrush a standard compressor(s) would generate.
Your "shack" is stacked. Would lend it'd self nicely to buried under ground tubing and a tall black single wall metal tube chimney on roof. Passive AC. Black chimney sucks warmer air out of top of house while drawing in cooled under ground air at the ground level.

Your "shack" is stacked. Would lend it'd self nicely to buried under ground tubing and a tall black single wall metal tube chimney on roof. Passive AC. Black chimney sucks warmer air out of top of house while drawing in cooled under ground air at the ground level.

can you explain this to me? Footings are (finally) going in this week, so I may not have time to make any changes, but interested in this.

You really don’t want to suck air out from under ground in a confined space radon and other nastys build up
plus potential mold .
In my area we have to add piping under ground and power vent the slab to the out side . ?‍♂️

Back