diy solar

diy solar

24V 2000W build fuse question

Pacer

Good evening!

I am following along with Will's 24V 2000W DIY build. I have the Giandell 2000W inverter, and I am unsure exactly which size fuse I will need. I followed his link to the site to find fuse size (https://www.altestore.com/howto/recommended-inverter-cables-sizing-and-breakers-or-fuses-a62/), however the Inverter sizes on the table jump from 1500W to 2400W, so I did not want to assume an fuse size in between there.

Additionally, for the grounding bus bar, is the 100A the proper size?

Lastly, what size wire will I need for the remaining component runs? I believe it's 4ga, but would like to confirm.

Thank you in advance, and apologies if this is all obvious info (I am learning)!

I would start with the inverter manufacturers suggested maximum fuse size. If its not available use the lowest possible operating voltage and maximum power level plus 25 percent as a starting point for establishing current limit and conductor sizing.

Usually we would establish the conductor size and provide appropriate overcurrent protection. In this case you do not want the inverter contents to be the fuse! Most house inverters will allow plenty of headroom for approriate overcurrent protection and many mobile type inverters will be close and almost force using undersize wire for all but intermittent loads, at least residential code wise....

Component runs will depend on distance between them and the current carrying capacity required by them on an individual basis. #4 is right at the point where machine tool wire becomes hard to work in tight confines and wire/accessories become large and expensive.

I like to use these two resources to determine appropriate wire size and associated fuse size, along with the inverter/product manual info (as @kernel noted). I just consider all circuits to be critical circuits (you'll see what I'm talking about when you look at part 1):

Thank you both! Of course, reading the manual, it calls for 100a fuse (which I suspected). It pays to read the instructions!

Here are the answers I got when I asked a very similar question.

EDIT: Sorry I overlooked that you're on a 24v system. Based on the information provided in the linked thread and an assumption that your length of conductor is less than 5' you would need 6 AWG and a 130a ANL fuse.

Last edited:
Here are the answers I got when I asked a very similar question.

Based on the information provided in the linked thread and an assumption that your length of conductor is less than 5' you would need 2 AWG and a 200a ANL fuse.

My 24V battery will only need the 100a fuse. Pays to read my own manual!

Back