diy solar

diy solar

24V DC Evaporative Cooler

TC McClure

Last February I bought and installed a Solar Chill 24" 24V DC evaporative cooler. My goal was to cool our 725 SF great room (14 foot ceiling) and hopefully some of the cooled air would flow to the bedroom wing. I wanted a stand alone system that had it's own power source and would not deplete our off grid PV system. I also wanted a propeller fan that would be much quieter than the cage fans on traditional coolers. Fortunately, after 35 years of off-grid living I had used panels, batteries, controller, wire, plugs, etc. available. I only had to purchase the cooler. The Solar Chill coolers are probably double the cost of an AC cooler but they are made of stainless steels and, most importantly, run on DC.

We finally have some warm weather in our area of SoCal so I have been able to test the Solar Chill. The past two days have hit 100 degrees outside of our 1750 SF log home. I turned on the cooler when the temp inside was 75 degrees (10AM), ran it until the sun was down and the great room maxed out at 78 degrees. I opened the window in the master bedroom at the far end of the house for the required vent and that room maxed out at 83 degrees which is OK as it cools quickly when we open up the house after the sun is down.

Today I am giving the Solar Chill two thumbs up! I love the quiet cool air it produces. I won't bore you with the installation details but if you're interested, glad to share our experience.

Back